“A great place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cranbrook
Three Bars Guest Ranch
English
“A great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our first Ranch holiday and it was a super experience.
The Wranglers were awesome and so helpful, all the staff very friendly. The food was adequate but never claimed to be gourmet, and there was always a reasonable chose, I was never hungry.

The horses were amazing and managed steep slopes without a slip. You could choose to trot, lope or just walk.

The Ranch is set in wonderful scenery and laid out really well.

The cabins are really comfy and spacious enough - only slept in mine.
A really enjoyable stay.Would love to go back.

Room Tip: All cabins are as good as the next cabin
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have just had the time of our lives at this ranch. We'd never stayed at a ranch before and didn't really know what to expect. My daughters, aged 21 + 17, and I have all ridden for years, but my husband doesn't ride and was looking to relax and do very little. No-one was disappointed!
Everything about this place oozes professionalism and care, from the wranglers' genuine desire to help us get all we wanted from the experience, to the well-trained horses and the food and accommodation.
I wouldn't agree with previous reviews re the standard of food. After a hard day on the trails (or on a rocking chair, reading!), we wanted tasty, filling food and that's exactly what we got.
Every member of staff is friendly, helpful and approachable, which rubs off on the guests. There are plenty of opportunities to socialize with other guests, and most of us got together before or after dinner, and mixed at meal times, but there was no pressure to do this if you needed some family time.
I have nothing negative to say about our experience ......we will be going back next year if we can :))

Room Tip: Can't get a bad one.....all views are stunning
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've been struggling with how I want this review to read since leaving the resort two days ago. So, I'm just going to jump in.

First, some facts. Our party included myself and my wife, our two children (10 and 14), and the grandparents (late 50's, early 60's). We stayed in three rooms for 5 nights and spent US$12,000 including tip for the stay.

The pluses:
Great location with beautiful scenery.
Best horse program we've ever participated in (and we've done plenty of resort rides).
Great choice of activities.

The minuses:
Food was okay at best.
They missed on the details (you'll know when you visit).

So that you know the type of travelers that we are, let me tell you about our tastes. We have stayed at 5 star hotels and eaten at 5 star restaurants and find both to be uncomfortable and a waste of money for us. We prefer a good local diner to national chains, and because we were in the restaurant business ourselves in the past, we appreciate the effort that goes into a family-run establishment.

As mentioned, the location and scenery are fantastic and my words can't add to the pictures or descriptions that others have already given.

The activities were a great supplement to the riding program and my kids were wiped out at the end of each day in a very good way. They also provided a good venue for the guests to come together and interact. We really hit the jackpot when a family from Ireland, who had been here several times before, hosted the campfire sing-a-long. It was a night of great music (very talented folks) and lots of laughs.

The best part of the entire stay lies with the resort's greatest assets: the wranglers. These young people not only kept you safe and confident with the horses (for us novices), but they also interacted with the guests on a regular basis by joining us for dinner and participating in the evening activities. I wish that I could thank them all by name but frankly I can't remember them all. Rachel and Jamie (sp?) were the "old timers" of the group and come to mind quickly and I thank them in particular for their professionalism and spirited conversation. You will enjoy your time with all of these people immensely.

So, why not 5 TripAdvisor circles? For the amount of money that we spent, I expected more from the kitchen. Again, we're not looking for a 5 star restaurant experience, but to be honest, the breakfasts were more akin to the free breakfast buffet at the Holiday Inn than to a local diner (on some mornings, the HI would've been a better option). The lunches were fair. The real disappointment came at dinner. I find it almost criminal that a working cattle ranch would serve pre-sliced deli-style roast beef heated in beef broth as a "roast beef dinner" (how about showing off the quality of your cattle by roasting your beef and putting it on a carving station?) and the BBQ ribs were oven baked and then put into crock pots (how about a real smoker burning outside?). The deserts each night were a different flavored sheet cake (no cobbler or pie?). I'll keep the critique short by saying that menu had too many prepared foods and not enough home cooking.

Oh, I mentioned the lack of detail. I learned a long time ago that hospitality is as much about the small things as it is the big things. Maybe even more so. I want to be careful here because this is a multi-generational family business and it appears to be a labor of love on their part. That being said, sometimes a business owner can be so involved that they can no longer see their baby from the eyes of the customer. I used to employ secret shoppers in my restaurants to give me that "outsiders" perspective. The results were always an eye opener; some good and some not so good, but always constructive. That type of critique would serve these owners well. So, am I going to point out those details? No, I will leave it up to the owners to seek those out.

Overall, a very enjoyable time and one trip that my family will never forget.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Thefrev
theranchguy, Owner at Three Bars Guest Ranch, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Hi Colorado
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Three Bars Ranch. It was great having you and your family visit. We take any critique very seriously and are always looking to improve our guest experience here at the ranch. I can assure you that we work very hard to attend to every detail. We do want to be clear that we do not offer a 5 star dining experience. We try to stay true to our routes in offering home cooked ranch meals that the whole family can enjoy. For anyone interested in reading more about our dinning details please visit the dinning page at http://www.threebarsranch.com/ranch_facilities_dining.php

All the best and hope to see your family again,
The Beckley Family
Newfoundland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed here September (2012) to celebrate a major birthday. A truly awesome experience for the horse lover like me (though you don't have to love horses to enjoy it). I love the mountains and the the ranch is nestled in a valley between two ranges so the view was fantastic.

The ranch was everyting I expected a horse ranch to be - laid back and rustic with great food and friendly staff. The accommodations were clean and comfy, the food was hot and plentiful and the wranglers were awesome! The horses were well cared for, very well trained and easy to ride, though I would have liked to do some faster rides (which they advertise for experienced riders). My husband also did a pheasant hunt which he really enjoyed.

The only issue I had, was that we came the week after their summer season ended, and while I enjoyed the fact that there was only about 16 of us on the ranch which dewindled as our week progressed, there was nothing happening in the evenings - other than we could hang in the bar. Even though their busy season was over and we were were a much smaller group, I feel they should have had something planned for a least a couple of the evenings - even just a camp fire to sit around instead of staying in the bar. They should make that fact a little clearer on their website or advise when taking bookings during thier òff`times. Had I known I probably would have come a week earlier or made arrangement for a rental car so we could go into town,

I would definately recommend Three Bars Ranch for anyone looking for a horse lovers holiday or a place to just relax and enjoy a little down time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank onthegoNL
Mississauga, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Spent a week last August with my teenage daughter and some family friends and I really don't have anything negative to say. It's a wonderful laid back place to totally relax or do the activities that you choose. The food is great and plentiful but not fancy. The guest cabins are comfortable but basic, however, it would be nice if the bathroom was a little bigger because only one person can be accommodated at a time (hard with a teenage girl). There is no air conditioning but it does cool down at night. Didn't have any problems with bugs which was nice. The horses were all pretty good and you can ride as much or as little as you wish. There is always a different trail to follow (or no trail at all). The wranglers were all top notch and sit with you at meal times. We loved all of the activities which were made very enjoyable by the wranglers. We brought a laptop which we never turned on, it would have felt very out of place there. When you're in paradise, you don't want to know about the outside world. Good place for all ages.

Room Tip: If you have teenagers you might want to choose a cabin with 2 bathrooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Happy_Canadian_9
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent 6 fabulous nights at Three Bars! The food was fabulous and plentiful. The Wranglers were laid back wonderful people who made the guests feel welcome and cared for. As a novice rider, the staff ensured that I had a super horse who gave me the confidence I needed to ride every day and to gain experience as the week progressed. We met some wonderful people and shared many laughs and experiences with them. We arrived as strangers and we left as friends. Of all the vacations we've taken, Three Bars rates the best and the experiences shared there will stay with us for many years to come. We will make it a point to go back in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 67Cruiser
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We spent a fantastic week with our 2 kids (10 and 8). Family run place with very friendly, but also professional, hosts.

Room was basic but comfortable and very spacious.

The ranch prides itself on having their own horses which they train. They don't rent from elsewhere. It shows - the horses were "alive" but tolerant and well known by the wranglers.

Scenery is spectacular, and horse back a great way to see it. But don't expect to do more than trot. I daresay all ranches are similar, but there was some reluctance to canter / lope.

Food was basic but fine. The cook was an excellent baker - the cakes were great!

The layout of the place means you can meet other guests easily - indeed that is half the point of the place. Don't expect to be left alone! Met some super nice people.

The kids love horses and rushed out at first light to be with them. All credit to the wranglers that they made that possible. They had an amazing time - lots of excitement, no requests for tv or iPods (yay!) and lots of learning about horses.

The wranglers were, without exception, good company, experts at handling horses, "can-do". A pleasure to spend the day with.

The focus of the place is, rightly, on the riding and on that the ranch excels. My only reason for 4 stars is that the food is fairly basic. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AEVH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranbrook
St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino
#14 of 17 in Cranbrook
Bear Claw Lodge
Bear Claw Lodge
#1 of 1 in Kispiox

Been to Three Bars Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!