“Wonderful setting, great accomodations and food!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cranbrook
Bull River Guest Ranch
Klamath River, California
“Wonderful setting, great accomodations and food!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I spent a week at the ranch attending a hummingbird photography workshop lead by John and Barb Gerlach. Lots of hummingbirds to photograph, there were big horn sheep in the area, and a roaming bear in the fields. The food prepared by CJ was tasty, and plentiful. Greg and Gina, are wonderful hosts and make sure your every need is met. It is so peaceful and quiet. My room was the Clint Eastwood room in the bunkhouse. It is a large room, well laid out, the bed was very comfortable, peaceful and quiet at night. A cozy gas stove in the room, French doors out to a large deck with Adirondack chairs. One of the nicest places I've ever stayed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathleen K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Revelstoke
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed with the amazing folks at the Bull River Guest Ranch for 10 days in June, while working in the area. The more I explored the property and adjoining crown land on my mountain bike, the more majestic the property became...a lake to swim at, fields to traverse, wildlife everywhere! My hosts Greg, Gina, Gale, Jack, Vanessa and Anna were incredibly welcoming and super friendly!! They made me feel like family. I can't wait to find an excuse to return, with my family, for a reunion or some other reason. This place is the best, discover it for yourself :)

Room Tip: All the cabins are great. There is no better room as far as I could tell. There is a larger honeymoo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank RealRevyReports
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I just returned home after spending a week at the ranch attending a hummingbird photography workshop lead by John and Barb Gerlach. Besides the hundreds of hummingbirds to photograph, there were deer, elk and Canada geese in the meadow and you might see a bear. The food prepared by CJ was wonderful. Greg and Gina, the owners, are wonderful hosts and make sure your every need is met. It is so peaceful and quiet. I stayed in the bunkhouse. The room was very clean and comfortable. A great place to just get away, enjoy nature and the peace and quiet.

Room Tip: The bunkhouse rooms are similar to a hotel with one large room and bathroom. Patio doors open onto a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pam682
Vacaville, California
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Bull River Guest Ranch was written up in "Log Cabin Living" magazine about a year ago. I knew we would be going to B.C. this year, so I kept the magazine, and couldn't wait to visit.

It was even better than we had expected. We reserved the "Grizzly" cabin. The cabin is absolutely adorable, and very comfortable. It has a large bathroom, and full kitchen, and a king-size bed that you just sink into. I don't know what they use to wash the sheets, but there is a lovely, sweet scent in the linens.

In the living area there is a wood-burning stove, and they provide wood for you. So we had a lovely evening sitting and reading by the fire. We also went for a walk around the grounds, and stopped at the petting zoo to say hello to the goats and miniature horses. We saw deer on the grounds, and baby peacocks (as well as their parents).

We thought we would be near Cranbrook, but luckily they told us Cranbrook is about 45 minutes away. So we stopped at a pub about a half hour away for dinner before we got to the ranch. I recommend you bring food with you, as there is a nice kitchen. But there are no food options close to the ranch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beaglemom22
Vancouver
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at the Bull River Guest Ranch for a wedding and were very satisfied with the service. The cabin was quaint, but very clean, and the beds were comfortable. The owners, Greg and Gina, went out of there way to make sure everything was satisfactory. Would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chad H
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife recently completed a one week workshop on photographing hummingbirds in May at the Bull River Guest Ranch. This is pretty much an annual event run by the John and Barb Gerlach, a professional photographer couple specializing in nature and wildlife photography. Since I don't photograph, while there I booked some fly fishing at local lakes (the rivers and streams were still closed until the season opened) with Elk River Guiding in Fernie.

My wife and I were very impressed with the log cabins in which guests stay. Ours (#3) had a living room with a very efficient wood stove (it snowed while we were there), a kitchen, bath, and bedroom. Everything was neat and clean, and there was a good supply of wood and kindling on the porch in front of the cabin. We had our meals in the main Lodge building overlooking a beautiful mountain vista, and the food was fantastic. We hope they can maintain this standard, when their long time cook, CJ, leaves.

The manager and staff made us feel at home, not just clients of the ranch, but guests of the family. We would definitely go back for another visit.

Room Tip: We very much like our cabin, #3, but I don't think there is a bad location on the Ranch.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank James595
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had our wedding there in September and it couldn't have turned out better. The staff was extremely friendly and bent over backwards to make sure everything was perfect for me and my wife. It could not have been better. I have never wrote on any advisory board before so you have to understand how wonderful it was by me writing now.

This place is the one of the most relaxing places I have ever visited. They have a huge log lodge that held our dinner and dance. The food was amazing (CJ, your the best). I have people still commenting about the food when I see them. The accommodations are awesome as well. They have eight log cabins, one being a two bedroom and the others being single bedroom with bunks in the living room and all have kitchens. They also have a bunk house with 4 hotel style rooms on the top floor and dormitory style rooms in the basement. They have as much camping as you would want that is scattered throughout the cabins. We rented the entire ranch for the weekend so it was a perfect free for all for everyone and made mingling really easy.

The backdrop is magic. You have mountains on all sides with the ranch sitting inside a never ending valley. The ranch has a petting zoo, horses and animals everywhere. They are also pet friendly so it is now our dogs favorite place to visit. The ranch has 5 or 6 dogs as well that are all friendly and a neighbor dog who never left our side.

Cell coverage is touch and go at best so my suggestion is leave it at home. This is the perfect place to bring out an actual book and read it in front of your cabins fireplace. If your looking for a place to constantly update your Facebook status than this isn't the place for you.

We have been back a couple times already and plan on being back in a couple weeks.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple