“A must stop...just for the Pie!!!”
Review of The Shepherd's Inn

The Shepherd's Inn
Ranked #22 of 75 Restaurants in Fort St. John
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Business meetings
Description: Home cooked country meals, all our food is prepared right here onsite by our friendly staff, we cook and slice all our meat the breads, deserts and baked goods are crafted right here in our bakery. We now have a C-Store open 7 days a week from 6am to 9pm. Gas and Diesel available. Motel recently upgraded with rooms available.
Surrey, Canada
“A must stop...just for the Pie!!!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

A colleague and I were travelling in the area and needed to grab some quick food. We stumbled into this place hungry and grumpy. We left happy and very full! Your first impression may be underwhelming as the atmosphere suits a remote highway diner. As you get settled in though, you realize that you are surrounded by warm and friendly people...then the food arrives. You will notice the home-cooked flair to everything, especially the large portions (unless you're from Texas, then you won't find it too unusual). Don't get suckered into the main course though as you NEED to keep some room for the homemade pies! I had the fresh homemade rhubarb apple pie and it was fantastic!

I've been to my share of remote diners and, to be honest, I usually suffer through it knowing that there are no alternatives and I make do because I have to. Not so with the Shepard's Inn, I now make a point of stopping there whenever I'm in the area because the food and the people are fantastic!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Rod H

“Love it!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We never drive by the Shepard's Inn without stopping! Home cooking and great baked goods! Always disappointed when we are in that area on a Sunday as it is not open.

Visited May 2013
Fort St. John, Canada
“Eat the pie!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The bulk of the main course items are pretty standard and nothing to write home about, but the baked items are where this restaurant excels. It's 40 minutes of north of Fort St. John on the Alaska Highway so it's a bit of a drive unless one is travelling north anyway, but if heading that direction the pie (Strawberry-Rhubarb is my favourite and an excellent choice) and other baked goods make it a stop worth seriously considering.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Fortstjohnian
Wildersville, Tennessee
“Nice and clean”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Good food and service was good. Went out of there way to help you.Thanks again to the two ladies and everbody that works there.

Visited June 2012
Oregon Coast
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,666 helpful votes
“You must try the BANNOCK!”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

In our recent 2,500 mile journey along the Alaska Highway, a few places stood out. This was one of them and the reason is the bannock!

Bannock is a simple food that consists of flour, baking powder, water, salt and a bit of fat to cook it in. It's of Scottish origin, although indigenous people also had a type of "fried bread". Over the years the Scottish version was spread throughout North America by explorers and trappers and eventually it evolved into what we know today. Bannock is often considered a truly Canadian food.

Don't expect a fancy restaurant, because it is not. This is sort of a glorified truck stop with fuel pumps, a motel and the restaurant. The restaurant is comfortable enough and very clean. The service was prompt and friendly.

My friends had breakfast and I ordered a bowl of Corn Chowder. The chowder was a large bowl and was very good.

Then there was the bannock. It takes a little while to prepare, so there was a bit of a wait, but when it came out the servings were huge! Freshly made, soft, fluffy and piping hot – it practically melted in my mouth!

I have to admit, we all stuffed ourselves, and there were still leftovers. We packaged up the leftover bannock and took it with us. The next day, we finished the rest of it - even served cold without butter or honey it was still delicious.

Oh how I wish this restaurant was closer to my home, as I'd eat there once a week just for that wonderful bannock :-)

• Visited June 2012