“Great Deal”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Golden
Vancouver
“Great Deal”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed at the Winston Lodge for two nights in August, thanks to a Living Social Deal. The lodge was a bit out of the way from town, so our first night we had to eat at the attached pub. The room was large and inviting, with a very soft bed and great view of the mountains. I suggest going during the week, as it is quieter then. We found that our second night (Tuesday) was quite a bit louder, as all rooms surround a great room, and a family was having a get together. The staff were very friendly, and the complimentary breakfast was wonderful, fresh eggs one day, and pancakes the next. We loved that the staff kept out fruit and snacks all day for the guests.

The only downside was the cost of food at the attached pub, while decent fare, it was very overpriced (but what's a gal to do after 10 hours of driving...).

All in all, great place to stay. I suggest keeping your eye out for deals!

Room Tip: Choose a room upstairs if you get the chance, there is a better view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Uk
Reviewed August 27, 2013

With a few miles off the beaten track we weren't sure what to expect. When we reached the lodge it was perfect! The staff were very friendly, the room was beautiful and the views (when the clouds weren't in close) were stunning. Breakfast was a standard buffet of fruits, yogurts, muffins, toast and egg with hot and cold drinks.
I'd recommend the bar attached to the lodge. Again the staff were friendly, food was very tasty and children were allowed in there until 8, which was very handy!
If we were going to the Golden area again I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stumbled across the Winston Lodge online and couldn't be happier with the discovery!
At first it felt a little strange leaving our shoes at the entrance upon check-in, but once we got the tour and saw how comfortable and homey the lodge was, it later felt perfectly natural and I was even at ease heading down to the hot tub in a housecoat (which, by the way, are wonderfully soft and a lovely added touch). The lodge is kept immaculately clean, which adds to the comfort. The common area is a great place to hang out and read, play games, or have a glass of wine. They have a DVD library if you prefer to hang out in your room while enjoying the beautiful mountain views. I look forward to returning with friends, as it would be a great place to be with a close group of people.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed at the Winston for one night in August 2013 and had a great stay there! The common area is lovely, with big comfortable couches, games, fireplace and snacks constantly stocked. The lodge and rooms are very clean and very inviting. The bed was very comfortable and the linens are lovely. The jacuzzi bathtub was fantastic!

Having the bar attached to the lodge is also a great touch. We did not leave the premises after checking in until we checked out the next morning!

Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at the Winston Lodge for two nights. I was a little worried at first how it would go, as we decided to take our 20 month old along for the ride. But I worried for nothing. This "hotel" was excellent, with a very homey feel (if you live in a gorgeous log cabin of course :D). A beautifully large common room, with a breakfast eating area filled daily with treats and drinks greets you as soon as you walk in. The suite that we were in was beautiful, with a king sized feather bed, along with a single feather bed for the little dude. The facilities were great, a saloon for dinner and drinks attached to the hotel area, and a games room downstairs with pool, Foosball and darts. The staff were welcoming and very helpful! It was an awesome stay, we'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Winston Lodge while attending a wedding celebration at Kicking Horse. At first, I found it really annoying to have to take off my shoes at reception. Then I realized why: the lodge is kept immaculately clean, and now with your feet liberated and kept cozy in the slippers they provide you, you're free to pad around the lodge as if it were your own house. The common area is homely, cozy and like an extension of your living room. The rooms are large and the beds are huuuge! We felt so comfortable from the moment we arrived – check-in was fast and we received a helpful, friendly tour of the lodge on arrival. We had everything we needed and enjoyed our stay. We'd totally go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights. He had stayed the previous year with mates and was keen to bring me to Kicking Horse after raving about how amazing the skiing was.

Luckily he sold it to me based on the luxury accommodation with a hot tub and pub attached - Winston Lodge - because if I'd known how hard the skiing was, I might not have come here!! Seriously though, after a few days skiing, I was getting used to the challenge of double black diamond slopes and loving this resort. Once the sun started to shine and I saw what I had been going down, I was pretty pleased with myself!

There were many excellent things about Winstons, the room was lovely, quiet and with the most amazing comfortable beds - made it hard to get up every morning! There was a hot tub outside and a sauna, games room and heated ski and boot room downstairs, and the place is only a 5 min walk to the gondola. Connected to the lodge is the bar, so you don't even have to take your slippers off before going for an apres drink or two. We drank here both nights and the atmosphere was lovely, really friendly staff, nice pub food, a band on one night and loads of board games, plus a log fire. It was pretty busy with people who were coming in from other lodgings, as there is really not too much going on in Kicking Horse at night, so Winstons was as lively as it got for us!

My only complaint was the lack of true customer service. A lot of the trip advisor reviews say how wonderful the owners were and even knew their names. We were not introduced to anyone, and had a very strange welcome after waiting for 10 minutes at reception. You'd think they would welcome and appreciate previous guests coming back, but this was not the case for us. There was a strange atmosphere at breakfast where it was deathly quiet and they definitely needed some music or radio, or just a friendly face to greet people, plus not enough tables to seat all the guests when they came down to breakfast at once. Breakfast was lovely though, with a choice of continental or hot breakfast and tea and coffee available all day with cakes and muffins in the afternoon.

Overall, this place was beautiful, with just a few amendments it could be exceptional. One last comment was that I do think it is a bit too expensive, and I nearly cried when I saw a sign at the bottom of the road in Golden on our drive up to Kicking Horse, advertising walk in rates of $99.....a sure fire way to annoy your guests before they even arrive!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple