“Beautiful Lodge!”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Golden
Tokyo, Japan
“Beautiful Lodge!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed at the Winston for one night in August 2013 and had a great stay there! The common area is lovely, with big comfortable couches, games, fireplace and snacks constantly stocked. The lodge and rooms are very clean and very inviting. The bed was very comfortable and the linens are lovely. The jacuzzi bathtub was fantastic!

Having the bar attached to the lodge is also a great touch. We did not leave the premises after checking in until we checked out the next morning!

Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at the Winston Lodge for two nights. I was a little worried at first how it would go, as we decided to take our 20 month old along for the ride. But I worried for nothing. This "hotel" was excellent, with a very homey feel (if you live in a gorgeous log cabin of course :D). A beautifully large common room, with a breakfast eating area filled daily with treats and drinks greets you as soon as you walk in. The suite that we were in was beautiful, with a king sized feather bed, along with a single feather bed for the little dude. The facilities were great, a saloon for dinner and drinks attached to the hotel area, and a games room downstairs with pool, Foosball and darts. The staff were welcoming and very helpful! It was an awesome stay, we'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Winston Lodge while attending a wedding celebration at Kicking Horse. At first, I found it really annoying to have to take off my shoes at reception. Then I realized why: the lodge is kept immaculately clean, and now with your feet liberated and kept cozy in the slippers they provide you, you're free to pad around the lodge as if it were your own house. The common area is homely, cozy and like an extension of your living room. The rooms are large and the beds are huuuge! We felt so comfortable from the moment we arrived – check-in was fast and we received a helpful, friendly tour of the lodge on arrival. We had everything we needed and enjoyed our stay. We'd totally go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights. He had stayed the previous year with mates and was keen to bring me to Kicking Horse after raving about how amazing the skiing was.

Luckily he sold it to me based on the luxury accommodation with a hot tub and pub attached - Winston Lodge - because if I'd known how hard the skiing was, I might not have come here!! Seriously though, after a few days skiing, I was getting used to the challenge of double black diamond slopes and loving this resort. Once the sun started to shine and I saw what I had been going down, I was pretty pleased with myself!

There were many excellent things about Winstons, the room was lovely, quiet and with the most amazing comfortable beds - made it hard to get up every morning! There was a hot tub outside and a sauna, games room and heated ski and boot room downstairs, and the place is only a 5 min walk to the gondola. Connected to the lodge is the bar, so you don't even have to take your slippers off before going for an apres drink or two. We drank here both nights and the atmosphere was lovely, really friendly staff, nice pub food, a band on one night and loads of board games, plus a log fire. It was pretty busy with people who were coming in from other lodgings, as there is really not too much going on in Kicking Horse at night, so Winstons was as lively as it got for us!

My only complaint was the lack of true customer service. A lot of the trip advisor reviews say how wonderful the owners were and even knew their names. We were not introduced to anyone, and had a very strange welcome after waiting for 10 minutes at reception. You'd think they would welcome and appreciate previous guests coming back, but this was not the case for us. There was a strange atmosphere at breakfast where it was deathly quiet and they definitely needed some music or radio, or just a friendly face to greet people, plus not enough tables to seat all the guests when they came down to breakfast at once. Breakfast was lovely though, with a choice of continental or hot breakfast and tea and coffee available all day with cakes and muffins in the afternoon.

Overall, this place was beautiful, with just a few amendments it could be exceptional. One last comment was that I do think it is a bit too expensive, and I nearly cried when I saw a sign at the bottom of the road in Golden on our drive up to Kicking Horse, advertising walk in rates of $99.....a sure fire way to annoy your guests before they even arrive!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Delemont, Switzerland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

After being in Vancouver, Whistler and Revelstoke, we stayed 3 nights at the Winston Lodge in Kicking Horse last January and that was far away the best place to stay we have experienced during our stay in British Columbia. The lodge is built in wood, very clean and well equipped (sauna, hot tube, pool room). The couple of owners is very nice and they try to make our stay as pleasant as they can.
If Kicking Horse was not so far from Switzerland, we would be back next year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was fortunate enough to literally find the Winston Lodge via TripAdvisor at the last minute during one of the busiest three day weekends in CA in February 2013.

Tracie and Bill (run and own the lodge) and the Lodge were AWESOME! The bedrooms, beds, comforters, and bathrooms were sweet and so relaxing especially after full days of backcountry split-boarding. The morning breakfast and lodge accommodations were fantastic. THe drying rack was great as was the hot tub, fireplace and pool table. If you are skiing/riding at Kicking Horse, you could not ask logistically for a better location to roll out of bed, hit breakfast, and then charge the hill.

Bottom line, I originally was staying one night at the Winston and wound up securing a second night at the lodge because I had such a great experience and awesome sleep!

I cannot wait to bring my wife and kids up to Kicking Horse and we will definitely be staying at the WInston Lodge!

Room Tip: All the rooms seems really nice. My suggestion would be to ask for a room on the second floor facin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

One of the most fantastic Ski Lodges I've ever stayed in. The two owners are simply wonderful hosts. Always a fire going in the great room and tons of fun games in the basement. They have such a nice setup and the views from the room are beautiful while still giving you a less than 5 min walk to the ski hill. Great breakfasts and a super relaxing hottub. You sink right into the beds for an absolutely beautiful sleep.

Room Tip: Room 10 has a great view of nothing but the mountain. Room 7s jacuzzi tub has a giant window that vi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family