“Beautiful property, brilliant skiing...”

Winston Lodge & Spa
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights. He had stayed the previous year with mates and was keen to bring me to Kicking Horse after raving about how amazing the skiing was.

Luckily he sold it to me based on the luxury accommodation with a hot tub and pub attached - Winston Lodge - because if I'd known how hard the skiing was, I might not have come here!! Seriously though, after a few days skiing, I was getting used to the challenge of double black diamond slopes and loving this resort. Once the sun started to shine and I saw what I had been going down, I was pretty pleased with myself!

There were many excellent things about Winstons, the room was lovely, quiet and with the most amazing comfortable beds - made it hard to get up every morning! There was a hot tub outside and a sauna, games room and heated ski and boot room downstairs, and the place is only a 5 min walk to the gondola. Connected to the lodge is the bar, so you don't even have to take your slippers off before going for an apres drink or two. We drank here both nights and the atmosphere was lovely, really friendly staff, nice pub food, a band on one night and loads of board games, plus a log fire. It was pretty busy with people who were coming in from other lodgings, as there is really not too much going on in Kicking Horse at night, so Winstons was as lively as it got for us!

My only complaint was the lack of true customer service. A lot of the trip advisor reviews say how wonderful the owners were and even knew their names. We were not introduced to anyone, and had a very strange welcome after waiting for 10 minutes at reception. You'd think they would welcome and appreciate previous guests coming back, but this was not the case for us. There was a strange atmosphere at breakfast where it was deathly quiet and they definitely needed some music or radio, or just a friendly face to greet people, plus not enough tables to seat all the guests when they came down to breakfast at once. Breakfast was lovely though, with a choice of continental or hot breakfast and tea and coffee available all day with cakes and muffins in the afternoon.

Overall, this place was beautiful, with just a few amendments it could be exceptional. One last comment was that I do think it is a bit too expensive, and I nearly cried when I saw a sign at the bottom of the road in Golden on our drive up to Kicking Horse, advertising walk in rates of $99.....a sure fire way to annoy your guests before they even arrive!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 11, 2013

After being in Vancouver, Whistler and Revelstoke, we stayed 3 nights at the Winston Lodge in Kicking Horse last January and that was far away the best place to stay we have experienced during our stay in British Columbia. The lodge is built in wood, very clean and well equipped (sauna, hot tube, pool room). The couple of owners is very nice and they try to make our stay as pleasant as they can.
If Kicking Horse was not so far from Switzerland, we would be back next year!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was fortunate enough to literally find the Winston Lodge via TripAdvisor at the last minute during one of the busiest three day weekends in CA in February 2013.

Tracie and Bill (run and own the lodge) and the Lodge were AWESOME! The bedrooms, beds, comforters, and bathrooms were sweet and so relaxing especially after full days of backcountry split-boarding. The morning breakfast and lodge accommodations were fantastic. THe drying rack was great as was the hot tub, fireplace and pool table. If you are skiing/riding at Kicking Horse, you could not ask logistically for a better location to roll out of bed, hit breakfast, and then charge the hill.

Bottom line, I originally was staying one night at the Winston and wound up securing a second night at the lodge because I had such a great experience and awesome sleep!

I cannot wait to bring my wife and kids up to Kicking Horse and we will definitely be staying at the WInston Lodge!

Room Tip: All the rooms seems really nice. My suggestion would be to ask for a room on the second floor facin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2013

One of the most fantastic Ski Lodges I've ever stayed in. The two owners are simply wonderful hosts. Always a fire going in the great room and tons of fun games in the basement. They have such a nice setup and the views from the room are beautiful while still giving you a less than 5 min walk to the ski hill. Great breakfasts and a super relaxing hottub. You sink right into the beds for an absolutely beautiful sleep.

Room Tip: Room 10 has a great view of nothing but the mountain. Room 7s jacuzzi tub has a giant window that vi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed over Christmas. The lodge was beautiful, and the rooms were large and comfortable. Every morning we were served a hot delicious breakfast, in the evening we would head down to the connected pub for a few pints by the wood fireplace. It was a very relaxing environment, just what we needed over the holidays. We can't wait to plan our next trip to kickinghorse, we will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Winston Lodge is very cosy and comfortable with pleasant friendly staff and excellent facilities. Breakfast was good but not outstanding. A kettle or coffee maker in the room would have been a welcome addition. Overall I felt it to be on the expensive side especially as a solo occupant although on a par with other establishments on the hill.

Room Tip: All rooms are well placed and quiet except on New Years Eve!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Oh how lucky were we to find Winston Lodge and get the walk in rate! ...Great value for money. Bill & Tracey were most welcoming.... the rooms were amazing.....lovely breakfast cooked to order....great pub & restaurant.....outdoor hot tub.....so close to the slopes. What more could we ask for ? Everyone so friendly.... hope to be back one day .The Girvan Family from Scotland

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family