“Promised the world, and delivered an atlas”

Kicking Horse Mountain Resort
Ranked #3 of 70 things to do in Golden
More attraction details
Owner description: Kicking Horse has attracted rave reviews after just seven seasons for its awesome vertical, deep powder and spectacular terrain mix. With an express gondola accessing over 4100 ft (1260m) of vertical, you’re bound to ski and ride an impressive feat of terrain comparable to only that of heli-skiing. Coupled with summer activities such as mountain biking, wildlife education, and alpine sightseeing, this is a place where the stories are almost too tall to believe.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Kicking Horse resort was our 5th stop through the Powder Hwy this January during my young family's 6 week Canada skiing holiday. (Wife and 2 yr old boy). We have been so excited to finally get here, after all our sons nickname was "Kicking Horse", as he was true to his namesake from womb to now......
However, following major research and planning to get to all our destinations on the trip, I left very disappointed in a few aspects of the management and resort.
Upon arrival to the resort, we were advised that the daycare facilities on mountain had been condemned, of which I was super pissed off, as this put much pressure on how my wife and i would ski together. After further research, we were given names of staff who are qualified for child care etc. We did pay some half day nanny rates and the 2 girls we used were great and very helpful and prices were fair also. Amy at reception of the venue we stayed on mountain (Glacier Mountain Lodge)was lovely and very supportive, by offering her services as well. The accom and position etc was excellent all round...
The girls that did the child are for us for some half days said they worked at the child care and 1 week prior to resort opening, they themselves were informed that it was condemned etc, so not sure what management was doing in the summer, except maybe the numbers, as all feedback from locals and staff was that they are suffering, and the resorts down 50% on numbers this year.
Also, I one other big disappointment was that there is no town shuttle at all, like every other resort we have visited. This again was previously mentioned on website. The cab fare is $45 one way, ($90 round trip) and as we are on a 6 week trip we only had a car hire for Fernie, as there's no point paying a car fee when it sits in a car park for 90% of the time. We used greyhound between Banff, Revelstoke, Golden and Calgary to much ease, comfort and cost.
Now BC, it s very casual which I love, but like myself most staff would hitch in or out of town each day. I don't think that's a good look for the resort at all, even though I did it successfully as I had to get groceries for my wife and child.
Not that I'm a fan or my knees could do it, the website still has a terrain park listed and my mate travelling with us also was extremely disappointed that there wasn't one.......?
Now in regards to the mountain, like any mountain you want to be there when it snows, and unfortunately like many before had told me, the horse doesn't seem to get as much as others and it didn't snow more than a couple of centre meters in 8 days which is out of everyone's control, but extremely disappointing. The runs are very challenging and hardcore in a lot of ridges and as a boarder, they good stuff and the tress runs were hammered and icy.
I'm a passionate powder boarder, and I spent most days on the groomers, which was still fun and ok. My wife is intermediate and she enjoyed all the low mountain wide groomed runs.
I would love to be there for a dump, but alas not this trip.
So, overall, p,entry of potential and a great terrain that needs more snow in general. I would not go there again with family, or very unlikely until they evolve or management builds for the future.
I go to Canada or USA every January for skiing and I wouldn't book here again, but if I was at Fernie or Revelstoke and the horse got a dump, I would get there for some good steep shuts and fun big bowls. Not a place I would book in advance though, due to the above reasons.
Hope this helps...

"steep terrain"
"snow conditions"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed this ski resort. The only drawback is that there aren't too many blue runs as compared to the number of green & back runs. If you're an advanced skier, you'd love this resort because there are a lot of black diamond runs, including double & triple blacks. The lower half of the mountain has a a wide variety of green runs so beginners are at home too.

The other thing that this mountain has going for it is its vertical height. From top to bottom, the runs are gloriously long. On the days that we were there, it was cloudy & foggy at the bottom of the hill but, at the top, we were skiing in the sunshine, looking down at the clouds that blanketed the whole valley.

And then there's the view... Wow! It's so beautiful up there. The first time that we stepped out of the gondola, it quite took my breath away. The Columbia valley stretches out for miles in front of you and, as you turn around, countless mountain peaks make an incredible backdrop. It's a north-facing mountain though, so when you ski down to the lower slopes, you lose the sun at this time of year.

All in all, it was a great trip and we will definitely go back.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is an amazing mountain for any accomplished skier. Full of steep terrain and amazing Rocky Mountain powder lines.

Not much in the way of groomer runs, so i wouldn't really recommend for the novice at heart.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

spectacular views due to location. food was okay, service is friendly. how can you go wrong when you have that kind of area to be in. Yoho is intensely beautiful