“Relaxing days after our honeymoon” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hillside Lodge and Chalets

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Golden
Hillside Lodge and Chalets
Ranked #14 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Golden
Alix, Alberta, Canada
“Relaxing days after our honeymoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here one night in 2010 when we first met and returned last October for a few days after our wedding. It was a quiet, cozy place to enjoy our first days as husband and wife. We brought along a chicken to roast and some of our vegetables which the owners roasted for us while we were off sightseeing. We then enjoyed a nice supper with them during our first evening. We enjoyed walking beside the river and relaxing in the hot tub - being off season, we didn't see another guest during our whole stay. The only complaint was that the bed was a bit hard - I didn't mind but my husband found it a bit too hard after a few days.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda B
HillsideLodge, Owner at Hillside Lodge and Chalets, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Thank you for the review. We are happy when our guests are happy and we hope to see you here again soon! Dinner with you was very nice!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

Based on my communication with the owners of the Hillside, I had expected an amazing stay. When I arrived, the people who were keeping the chalet while the owners were away were extremely welcoming and kind. The cabins are very nice and cozy and could be very nice. I was very surprised when I arrived in my room to find several issues that cramped my stay. First, all the beds were very short, they appeared to be children's size. Both my head and feet could touch the ends of the bed at once. Moreover, the "king-sized" bed appeared to be two twin beds pushed together with a piece of foam covering the wood in the middle where the bed frames met. Second, the thermostat was fixed so that you could not turn the heat past 20 or so degrees Celsius. This would not have been a problem, but the lady sitting the chalet forgot to tell us that if we did not open a window in the Grizzly cabin where we were staying, then the fireplace flue would not work. As such, we could not warm the cabin by fire until after we had smoked ourselves in the cabin twice and asked her why the flue appeared not to work. Third, we were expected to leave dirty towels and garbage on the porch if we wanted them changed and put up a notice if we wanted service. Leaving garbage on the porch seems dangerous when bears are in the region. Furthermore, when we put up a service sign because we were nearly out of toilet paper in addition to our towels and garbages changed, no one came to our room. When we asked the service desk about this, they said no one puts out those signs so they do not often check for them. Forth, we had two bathrooms in our cabin, but had to pay an extra $25 if we wanted the second one unlocked. This was not a huge deal, but it seemed tacky to me. Finally, I would not stay here unless I had four-wheel drive on my car. We got suck driving up the steep narrow road on the way in one day and had to run to the office for help only to find the office empty. Although this sounds very negative, we made the most of our trip and had fun. But, I would not stay at this location again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

While this cabin is definitely cozy, and the owner friendly, sleeping on child-sized beds for four nights can give you a crick in the neck and really throw off a ski trip to Kicking Horse.

Our recent stay came with a semi-clean, very sparse kitchen, no maid service (even when leaving the sign on the door. No one came to check, "because no one ever leaves [their] signs out!", a faulty wood stove, a locked second bathroom with a charge of $25 to open it, two twins beds pushed together with memory foam in between (disguised as a King), and no outdoor garbage (not sure how that will work in the spring when the bears have awoken, and because there is no maid service you cannot expect the trash to be changed on a daily basis).

Basically for what this cabin cost, you can stay ski in/ski out in brand new, amazing condos for not much more... is it really worth it?

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HillsideLodge, Owner at Hillside Lodge and Chalets, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
I wasn't going to respond to this review because I am not quite sure how. Usually, we take criticism well and are happy to make changes to make people' stay more enjoyable but I am not sure what to do here. Our beds are standard size beds, the beds convert from twins to kings which is why the foam is there, the second bathroom was locked because this was a living social deal and you only paid $380 for two nights for 4 people INCLUDING a full breakfast. The maid service was an oversight by the person watching the lodge while we were away on our honeymoon and I do recall she apologized for that and got you what you needed. In any case, I am sorry you felt this way and hope you will one day return.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

I spent a weekend at Hillside Lodge and Chalets with my husband and my dog in January. It's a beautiful spot with Lovely cozy cabins. Great hottub too.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank topsy9_9
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

We had a blast over New Years, the chalet was exactly what needed a wood stove and a kitchenette in the mountains! On top there was an amazing New Year's celebration organised by the owners. We joined them and other guests for an outdoor party consisting of a bonfire, fireworks, sliding & sing-a-long. We'll be back. Wonderful hospitality makes all the difference!

Room Tip: There are all kinds of options, depending what you are looking for!