“Awesome!”

Dreamcatcher Hostel
Ranked #7 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Golden
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Dreamcatcher hostel was the best place we stayed during our trip to Rocky Mounts!
We were traveling as a group of three, and we stayed in a 4-bed room with the price of 3!
The room with a bathroom was new and clean. The bed was comfortable and we all slept well!
The staff were friendly and helpful. They had a full set of kitchenware which were new and clean!
Everything was great in this hostel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was on a mountain bike trip this past Thanksgiving weekend and had researched Dreamcatcher Hostel as an accommodation. I dropped in without having made arrangements and was very well treated by the owner and staff. I had a few questions concerning logistics and received some excellent feedback. The hostel was clean, dorms were well designed and the cooking area was large and spacious. They have secure storage area for all kinds of items including my expensive mountain bike. I highly recommend Dreamcatcher

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hostel was extremely clean and beds very comfortable. Positive start. But.... the hostel does not feel like any hostel I've ever stayed at and I've stayed at the best and worst of them all over the world. Instead here you have what can best be described as a commune of sorts where you will feel over powered by management staff into sharing, caring and being everyone's friend. It made me feel quite sick if I'm to be truly honest. I felt like hippy big brother was always watching. Falling out of the free love line would mean eviction and the obvious smell of weed supported by half closed bloodshot eyes floating behind the reception counter doesn't help my overall impression.

I would not recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank ptteam12
Dreamcatcherhostel, Owner at Dreamcatcher Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Firstly, thank you for commenting on our comfortable beds and clean facility - we take pride in our business and work hard to keep the standards high. But....
Your comments about the smell of weed and bloodshot eyes are utter nonsense. We operate a strict no drug policy and that goes for staff as well as guests. We have a firm check-in procedure that includes every guest reading the house rules - I think anyone who has stayed with us before would laugh out loud at your suggestion.
As for the hostel feeling like a commune, the whole point of a hostel is to share; to respect others; to live communally with all different people. Especially if you choose a dormitory room, which I think you did. Although you didn't feel you could put your name to this review, I think I know who you are as we rarely have a guest who feels so strongly about our hostel.
If someone perceives they are being watched, it may mean that they are doing something wrong. It would be hard to own and run a business with bedrooms containing mixed groups of strangers sharing and not want to get a feel for people. I think many people would feel comforted that we actually care for their security, safety and well being. Do remember that we are responsible for what happens under our roof. If this type of accommodation bothers a traveller, then I would suggest staying at a motel where the only person you have to worry about is yourself.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I don't normally stay in hostels but we thoroughly enjoyed our week long stay at Dreamcatcher. The owners, Abi and Gerald, made us feel very much at home, as did their helpful assistant Dan. Pet lovers will enjoy the playful antics of Abi and Gerald's two dogs, Boo and Dorski, who are a couple of characters. Our room was clean and tidy with a comfy bed and ensuite. The atmosphere is very relaxed and the common area cosy with plenty of space and couches to chat to other guests or find a quiet spot to read. There's also a well equipped kitchen. The log fire on chilly nights was a welcome bonus and a free juke box with a great selection of music added to the appeal. Abi and Gerald provided plenty of useful advice on what to see and do in the area too. Customer service was excellent and we would recommend this hostel to anyone. It was a great base from which to explore the Rockies.

Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I was in Golden for a few hikes and river rafting of course. Therefore I stayed at the Dreamcatcher hostel. The first you realize when you enter the hostel is the huge and open common area with sofas, tables and the jukebox. In the common area is one computer with internet access you can use unlimmited during your stay for only $5.-. The perfect moment to upload and backup your pictures.
The kitchen is attached to the commen area and one of the cleanest I've ever seen in a hostel. You don't need to check or clean the dishes before you use it.

The dorm rooms are nice and clean as well and the provided sheets already on the beds. The attached bathroom has a shower were even tall people like me (2m) can stand underneath it which is not often the case.

On thing about the service: It is just top!

If you don't care about the two dogs walking around in the common area and the none shoe policy. This hostel might be the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived quite late in the evening, we were hungry and wanted to go out for dinner, the hostel recommended a couple of places for us to eat in Golden and even called ahead to make sure that they would be open. The recommended restaurant turned out to be excellent. Overall the customer service was extremely helpful without being overbearing. The whole hostel is very clean, our private bedroom was really comfortable - I thought it was better then either of the hotels we had stayed in on the two previous nights. As an added bonus the free coffee available in the kitchen in the morning was great. I could have happily stayed here a whole week, it was very warm and welcoming.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have stayed in a few hostels but wouldn't call myself a "hosteller" and my wife less so, but this place gives hostels a great name unlike the one we moved on to.
Gerald and Abi tell you the rules straight out but are very welcoming and it works!
The place is kept nice and clean and treated with respect by other guests.

If you need any help, it's there, whether it's to decide on what activity to do or to dry some gear out.

Could have done with a little bit more room between the toilet and wash unit, but it wasn't the end of the world. Despite trains coming through the town, each night was a good nights sleep.

It's the little touches that make the difference, kettle on in the morning, tea bags and coffee on to use, milk for tea/coffee in the morning, hand cream at reception etc etc.

Lot's of games to choose from, magazines and of course the free to use jukebox.

Would recommend this place to anyone.