“Gone downhill”

Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Golden
Red Deer, Canada
“Gone downhill”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have stayed at this motel a couple of times, and the previous manager always treated us so well, always made us feel welcome and at home. Things have gone down hill the last few months and the people behind the desk are rude, and not friendly. We always have used the hot tub - Shawn always helped me down the stairs into the hot tub area and out again as there is no railing to get into the hot tub area and I am unable to do the stairs without a railing, especially when they are wet from people using the hot tub....very dangerous for older people who are partially handicapped. It is too bad - we will not stay here again because of the unfriendly attitude.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 400 building and hope you are treated nicely
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Alex M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed as an unplanned stopover on our way back to Calgary. The lady at the desk was very friendly, and although it was in the middle of a long weekend we had our choice of 2 different rooms. Our choice was perhaps not the best as it was one of the older rooms, but it was clean. The bed was fairly comfortable however the tiny 30 year old air conditioner was little more than a fan to move hot air around. The location is good to the highway, yet far enough away that we were not bothered by the noise. Didn't try the breakfast buffet as we wanted a cooked breakfast but the coffee was great. The room was reasonable for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BC, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Nice motel with very comfy beds. Has a hottub but not very hot - could turn the temperate up. A light breakfast is offered - toast and cereal. They said muffins are usually offered by they ran out due to the long weekend. Great view of mountains as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

It wasn't a bad place to stay. We got pretty much the last room so had to haul our bags around the back. Definately nothing fancy but it was quiet and the price was right. Plus it was easy to find since it was on the highway.

• Stayed July 2013
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This motel deserves the lowest possible rating. I was part a car club with 22 cars that booked this property staying 07/21 through 07/23/2013.

The couple that "manages" this property, have no business being in the hospitality industry or any position that requires public contact. I can only conclude that ownership, is just as cheap on staff as "renovations."

Upon check-in, the "lady" was compelled to make an issue of a double booking under my name. I had only placed one phone to make the reservation months in advance and only for one room. Next my wife and I checked the bed and found it to be like a piece of resilient plywood with a cover over it. I returned to the office, stating it was unacceptable and the 2nd worst hotel bed I've encountered. The woman replied asking "does that win us a prize?" I responded that they were well on there way to an award.

I was then informed that because we asked for smoking rooms that is what they had. Further she emphasized that the other rooms assigned to the group were "renovated" and that there weren't any more and we could be refunded.

The male offered keys to check out two other rooms and they were just as bad. Returning to the office I told the male I would take his wife's offer of a refund as I made arrangements across the street at Travelodge. He processed the refund but it was only partial because he was going off paperwork they created that had us down for one night instead of the three I paid for. Consequently he made up the difference.

After completion of the refund(s) I asked if they owned the property. Answer: no. I asked for contact information of ownership and was told that was private, and that he is in another country and only rarely visits. I won't go into details as to how I know, but I found out that same evening, that was a misrepresentation of the facts (the inaccessibility).

Upon exit, I noted to the male attendant, that they won not one but two prizes. His wife earned "Ms. Personality."

Others in the group reported other degrees of dissatisfaction and I saw a "renovated" room. Mattress may have been newer, but certainly the cheapest that could be found. Decor wise, fresh white gloss paint and maybe new bedspreads and window coverings. That's it. Air conditioner units were old small window units. TVs were CRTs. One member had water leak problems. Another that recently had knee replacement surgery asked if he could have a ground room to avoid the stairs to an upper floor, He was advised to deal with it.

To the reader: My background includes a lot of professional travel over the years. If this review sound overly critical, it is a statement of facts. I don't tolerate poor service from a service industry to which I've worked the majority of my life.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dave H

Travelers are raving about these Golden hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Ponderosa Motor Inn in Golden BC. I was surprised with the quality of our room especially for the price point for the room. Very clean, quiet, comfortable bed. The room was updated, roomy and had a nice flat screen TV. It also offers a continental breakfast as well. I liked the over all look of the Motor inn. You can tell it is well cared for. I found it to be very good value for the dollar... I would stay here again no doubt.

Roger Marple

Room Tip: Don't think there is a bad room here. They do not face the highway and are quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We didn't find out the hot tub was out of order until after check in. Could not contact the on-site manager at midnight about the loud drunk two doors down and had to contact the police directly. When we talked to the manager the next morning about the terrible night we had to endure, they said it was too bad and to take any complaints to the rcmp. Would not give us the contact for the owner who they said lived in India. Stay away from this dump.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple