“Just awful ................”

Corks Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 62 Restaurants in Golden
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Canadian, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Corks features an unparalleled mountain dining experience that has reinvigorated the culinary scene at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort. The restaurant has been under new ownership and creative leadership since November 2014 and has quickly created a loyal following of foodie fans. The incredible kitchen team has created a carefully chosen, inspired menu that is as refreshing and memorable as the area's stunning mountain backdrop. Corks has a passion for locally sourced food and wines from British Columbia. Here you can sample all the comfort food classics such as elk, beef and pork all served with a unique Corks twist while sipping on a perfectly paired pour from the Pacific Northwest. Corks Restaurant is conveniently located at Copper Horse Lodge, Kicking Horse Mountain Resort's only boutique hotel. The warmth and character of the lodge spills over into the restaurant and makes you feel as though you have just stepped into one of your closest friend's homes for an evening of great conversation and even greater food. Copper Horse Lodge and Corks Restaurant is the perfect combination for intimate events including weddings, family gatherings and corporate retreats.
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Ate here on new years eve and was really not impressed

- surroundings overly bright and just not very lively at all
- set menu, not told about in advance at $59 per person for three courses
- lovely sparkling wine served on arrival but ........ we were charged for it afterwards
- appetizers were both raw in some form, venison tartar was very tasty but small served with undressed and very dry salad
- main was tenderloin which was very tasty but small - not asked how we wanted it cooked, al arrived rare, very nice but what if you like well done ?
- desert was a very bitter and tiny chocolate mouse, honestly one tablespoon full of very bitter chocolate mousse with basil leave in it that really spoilt whatever flavour there was

worst of all (bear in mind this is new years) a singer singing depressing songs straight from Vietnam movies - truly awful, and for this we paid $200 per couple, seriously don't waste your money, go somewhere that cares a little..................

all served in ........................... an hour from arrival, we even had to ask for wine - lets have your money and can we all go home now ..............

Never felt so ripped off in my life, tiny amounts of very average food dressed up as haute cuisine - appalling all together, wish we'd read reviews.

Rob

CHL M, Manager at Corks Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

As of December 20, 2013, Corks Restaurant at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort has been operating under new management. Since we had a very short window to build a new restaurant before the holiday season, all feedback has been very valuable to us, including your review of your NYE dining experience. Since the busy Christmas period,we have spent considerable time listening to guest feedback and revamping the menu based on feedback like yours. February 1st we launched a completely revised menu including new sharing plates, more mains (including a Coffee Rubbed Venison Loin, Grilled Alberta Beef Ribeye, and Butternut Squash Ravioli), and more BC and international wines resulting in extremely pleased customers.

Since the re-launch of our menu, we have had exceptional feedback from our diners, and we would love for you to revisit us in the near future. I would like to personally apologize for your experience on New Years Eve -
Our policy was for all our reservations to know about the set menu that evening, and I would like to assure you that you were not charged any extra for your sparkling wine -- it would have said $4 on your bill for tax purposes but the food component was $55, resulting in the grand total of $59. I also apologize that our live music was not to your taste. We do have some upcoming live music you may enjoy - a jazz band this Sat February 8th and a father/son acoustic duo on Sat the 15th for Alberta Family DayWeekend.

Once again thank you for your honesty and feedback. Please contact me if you would like to revisit our restaurant and I will personally ensure you are well taken care of and you have the great experience all of our customers have had.

There are newer reviews for Corks Restaurant

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Glad I took the time to read the reviews. The fact the owner didn't take the time to respond to some of these postings shows just how interested they are in service. They know they have a captive audience and take advantage of it. I'll go to cedar house instead.

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Atmosphere was more pub-like with loud music at first. Eventually they changed music & dimmed the lights.
The seafood stew was salty & salmon was way over done. When we complained about salmon the server said she would tell the kitchen but no discount.
The charcuterie was basically some rice crackers, bread & cold it's from the local grocery store, cheese selection was better.
On the upside the 10 oz steak was great, a bit fatty.
Service was just OK, not very knowledgable about the wines.
Quality has gone down over the past several years, disappointed!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited corks on our recent ski trip... We had a lovely meal at Corks restaurant. I had the Lamb, which was cooked to perfection, and my boyfriend ordered the Fisherman's stew. We shared a bottle of wine that was recommended by or server, from the extensive local wine list. the wine was a great complement to both our meals. Overall we were impressed, We will be back!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I went on a Tuesday evening and each ordered a pizza, I had a glass of wine and she chose to drink water. Our bill was $63.00 which is even a little steep by ski resort standards! The good news is that the food is very high quality and we did have enough leftover for our lunch the next day. The location was a nice 10 minute walk from the Palliser Lodge. The servers were nice and attentive, but we were the only table in the restaurant. I doubt we would return.