“Fantastic!”

Ranked #22 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Golden
Calgary
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Nestled pretty well in the middle of nowhere, these chalets are unique. Never would I have imagined you could rent a two storey cabin for the price I paid! Wow! These cabins are huge! Full kitchens, one and half baths, one main bedroom on the first floor but 3 other beds upstairs and a soaker tub! The tv reception was fuzzy, so bring DVD's, they have a DVD player. The manager was very nice, met all of our needs and answered our questions promptly. I was impressed with the layout of the place, all cabins have an awesome view of Chancellor Peak, which on a clear day makes for some excellent pictures! Beautiful scenery. The property is right next door to a dog sled company so when your outside you can hear the dogs howling away. They also park their trucks on the cabin property and leave some of their dogs in them all night, you can see them when you walk past the trucks. Sad, but I won't get into that. This place is secluded and quiet, clean rooms and professional service. I'm curious to know what the property looks like in the summer time!

Room Tip: When you call them, don't use a cell phone since the reception is very poor. Use a land line. An...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Marengo, Illinois
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Had 6 of us for a week in August. Place 5 min off rte 1. Clean, quiet, beautiful view of Mountain- we NEVER ran out of hot water for our showers, gas grill to BBQ, 5 min walk to Kicking Horse River. Plenty of room for everyone, can borrow games from the manager. TV has limited view. altho they said no internet, a smart phone picked up internet- but slower. 20 min from Golden,35 from Lake Louise. Its so peaceful away from the crowds in Lk Louise! Sit on the porch and ate dinner.
Stars seem so close and larger than in Illinois(USA) Water-best I've ever drank in my life!
One suggestion- bring a bar of soap- small pieces go fast with 6 people!

Room Tip: every place has a view of the mountain-
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank doris m
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed as a small group in mid June. The cabins were a great size with a full size kitchen, this was helpful as Golden is a good drive away. The location is just beautiful with spectacular scenery. We were lucky enough to have the whole place to ourselves, due to the alberta floods so it was super peaceful. Sue was a lovely host, there when we needed her, but kept to herself otherwise. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our family stayed 2 nights in one of the cabins. The cabins were clean and had a BBQ which we used both nights. The most spacious cabin we stayed at during our trip through the Rockies and the upstairs loft had a large bath tub. The gas fireplace heats up the whole cabin quite quickly. As we travelled early June the Kicking Horse Bear reserve was closed which was disappointing. It does not open until late June which is not well communicated. The grounds are well kept but due to the number of cabins it was not as private as the other places we stayed. Luckily not many cabins we occupied when we arrived. Kicking Horse River is only a minute walk away and very beautiful. We saw a black bear on Beaverfoot road which was one of the highlights of our trip. We were disappointed with Golden (about 30 minutes to the west) but really enjoyed Emerald Lake and Field. Wapta Falls is nearby and while it is nice it is not worth effort if you have small kids in my opinion. The scenery was fantastic and this was a great location for travelling through the Rockies. Not as much to do on-site compared to the other places we stayed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We reserved Chancellor Peak Chalets for May 24 & 25, 2013. It is approximately 28 Km east of Golden, BC. To reach in this chalets, we drove through TransCanada Highway and then turn to Beaverfoot Road. Then after driving 1.7 Km (out of which 1.5Km unpaved) and crossing kicking horse river we reached in these chalets. Signboard are provided at every turning point from TransCanada Highway. There are approximately 20 log houses. Each house can accommodate up to 8 persons. At main floor 4 persons can sleep in a queen bed and a sofa bed. In upper level loft 4 more persons can sleep in one double bed and two single beds. There is one washroom at main floor and one at upper level. These log houses have good heating arrangement at every room and even at every washroom. There is another electric fired furnace at main floor seating room. TV (only few channels) and good Wi-Fi connection are available at every house. Full kitchen (electric oven, microwave), utensils for eight persons, dishwasher, coffee maker are also provided in each house.
This location is surrounded by mountains and forests. Each chalet facing to Chancellor Peak, which remain snow covered in most of the time of the year. Kicking Horse River is few minutes walking from this location. Nature lovers surely enjoy this place and at the same time they can avail almost all modern facilities inside the house. They can view mountains, Chancellor peaks and surrounding nature even by seating in their beds.
Nearest city is Golden, BC which is only half an hour driving from here. Where all facilities like restaurant, markets etc. available and this city also a beautiful location for visit and skiing at winter time.
Myself and our family enjoyed this place very much. I believe we shall come back here again for relaxation and feel the nature.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We decided to visit the Golden area and stay at Chancellor Peak Chalets for the mountain and river views. We were able to have enjoyable walks along the Kicking Horse River. The property is easily accessible from the TransCanada Highway but far enough off the road that the resort is quiet and peaceful. The beautiful log Chalets were built about 10 years ago and are like new with fully equipped kitchens, gas fireplaces, a loft bedroom/sleeping area with a soaker tub in addition to the main floor bedroom and full bathroom, and a large porch with beautiful views which would be well used in the non-winter months. We were greeted by a friendly young couple who made sure that we knew all about the resort. We also met an older couple who were working there and they also made us feel welcome and had some excellent recommendations for our visit to Golden. We enjoyed their recommended gondola trip up Kicking Horse Mountain (a skier's paradise) after having a lovely lunch in the cafe above the bookstore in Golden. We only wish that we could have stayed longer to try more of the many activities presented to us at the tourism centre in Golden.

Room Tip: All of the chalets have beautiful views of Chancellor Peak.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I made reservations for a weekend getaway of snow shoeing through Expedia, which I paid in full and in advance. I was to meet friends at that location who were coming from the Revelstoke area on March 1st. It so happened that Rogers pass ended up being closed for over 12 hours due to avalanche control so they would have never made it across. I tried to call this hotel several times with no answer, I called Expedia, since I had made the reservation through them, they tried to call as well to make the cancellation and had no luck either. In the end, the management at this place did not want to refund me, not even a chance to have a discount for another weekend in the future. They said that where I was coming from (Calgary) the roads were fine and that I had not tried to call to cancel. Basically they called me a liar and expected me to spend the weekend by myself because I could have made it, even though my friends were stuck at the other side of Rogers pass. I had originally hesitated after reading the many negative reviews that this place's management received in the past, unfortunately they were right, and I should have listened to them. The place looks very nice, but I will never stay there unless they get some other people to run it, people who know what "hospitality" means.
Lucky that Expedia.ca rocks, and they gave me a voucher for $200 that I could use for any future travel I booked through them, so it wasn't a total loss. Had I booked directly through the hotel website I would have lost the $ 356.98 I had paid in advance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manager0049, Manager at Chancellor Peak Chalets, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for the review.
Although we do appreciate all feedback, it is disappointing that you were led to believe by Expedia that Chancellor Peak Chalets chose to not be flexible with your request to cancel your reservation after the date of arrival. As you booked via Expedia, less than 24 hour prior to arrival, your booking was subject to Expedia’s very strict, transparent, cancellation policy. Prior to you booking, and after you booked with Expedia, you would have been made aware on multiple occasion that the booking was last minute and non refundable and not able to be cancelled. I must repeat that this is Expedia’s contracted policy that we must legally follow. Should you have booked directly with the hotel, we would have been able to be more flexible and accommodating in addressing unforeseen challenges with you being able to arrive. To try and rectify this situation, we would like to invite you back to the property for a complimentary one night stay (a credit for the money that you already spent with Expedia). Please contact us via phone or email if you wish to take us up on this offer. Please be reassured that we are not in the business of “ripping people off” and we were/are only following the contracted business arrangement we have with Expedia.