“Worst Place I've ever stayed!”

Golden Village Lodge
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Golden
Reviewed January 2, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here over New Years while we were on a ski bus tour. The hotel was filthy, old, rundown, and not located near any amenities. The management was grouchy and room service was inconsistent.
I have attached some photos of the mouldy shower handles, the mouldy bathroom window, the cracked roof, unwashed & stained sheets (with lovely shades of brown, yellow, and dried blood). There's also a photo of the broken and stained chair that they felt needed to stay in the room. The walls were also stained, the bathroom door had a gigantic dent in it, The stained walls were paper thin ( I woked up to the people next door peeing in the morning).
Also, beware, the heating in the building is supplied by water running through pipes near the door, so if you decide to leave the door open for a certain amount of time and it's cold outside, the pipes may freeze and crack, leaving you to blame. Speaking of hot water, they definitely do not have an adequate water heater to supply the rooms with enough hot water for several people to shower at and around the same time. The water is very inconsistent, as one second, it will be boiling hot, and the next second, it feels like you're being pelted by ice. The shower head doesn't work properly due to the mineral build up and the little knob you pull to change the water from the tap to the shower head wasn't working properly so only half the water wen to the shower head and the other half kept running out of the tap. Many people also had insect problems - particularly spiders in the bathtub. *shudders* I'm also curious to konw how often they sweep the flood in the bathroom, since I found a big dead fly on it as well.
We only had our room serviced once out of the 2 nights that we were there. The "white" towels and sheets were an odd grey colour. I covered my pillow with a tshirt so that my face wouldn't have to touch the pillowcase. The thin blankets were not warm at all - I had to use a double layer - but that may be because we refused to use the stained top blanket. The thin, fleece-like blankets we used were also very dusty, which didn't do my allergies any good. We had to body check the door in order to deadbolt it.
There is one restaurant located within the grounds of the inn - it is a chinese restaurant that appears run down and dirty - we didn't dare enter it. It, unfortunately, was also closed on New Years Eve - the same night that some restaurants refused to deliver, as they wanted to avoid the "durnk drivers" at 6pm. The phone book in our room was a few years old, so many numbers also did not work. Nothing is located nearby, so we were unable to walk around town or walk to get any food. Sure, the cab ride into town is only about $6-10, but it's a huge hassle - especially on New Years Eve. Needless to say, many members of our tour went hungry that evening.
Two positives? A mini fridge and microwave was available in our room.
What more can I say? This was a horrible hotel experience!
Never will I return here again!

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank aznsweety

Reviewed August 31, 2008

Stayed there for one night during my trip to the Rockies this summer. From all the places I have stayed at, this was the worst.
At night when we arrived there was not hot water. (We had hot water the next morning only).
The room was in a really poor condition. There was a picture hanging on the wall unusually low. I removed it to see what is it covering. It turned out to be a large hole in the wall.
The beds were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in, by dawn I thought that my back was going to break.
It didn't appear clean, overall I thought that it was terrible. The regular price of the room is 107+tax, which means that it should give a decent service even if the category is not very high. For this money you get nothing. Not even a breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank jokanfiuk
goldenvillage, Owner at Golden Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear jokanfiuk :

Thank you for your feedback; I understand that it has been some time since your visit to my motel. I am reaching out to all my guests and would like you to stay again. Since your stay our rooms have undergone many changes and renovations. I hope you do visit us again in an effort to change your TA review to a positive one. If you like please contact me further pavi@goldenvillageinn.com

Reviewed August 26, 2008

The bed, AC and the shower were fine, but...
-2 out of 4 bulbs burned in the bathroom
-towel holder and curtain holder partly pulled from wall
-inadequate lighting
-no functiong phone
-had to ask for face cloth !
-had to ask for 'kleenex' !
-owner not pleasant to deal with
... and more
This was the third room we looked at before we agreed to stay since they had our reservation which could be cancelled with 48 hours notice...and for this room they charged more since it was 'better' than what had been reserved !!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Dear Ben065:

It has been some times since your last visit at my motel. I am undergoing a motel wide renovation and would like a chance for you to write a positive review on TA. Please contact me at pavi@goldenvillageinn.com and I can explain what I wish to do.

Reviewed July 27, 2008

The motel is in an excellent location, on Highway 1 approaching the tourist area in the Rockies, considerably cheaper than the resorts in the Rockies themselves close to the small but welcoming town of Golden. The staff on reception were very friendly and efficient.
The price charged is demonstrated in the rooms. The rooms are quite small with a small en-suite. On arrival our room smelt musty.
The room we were given had a number of niggling problems, all of which could be resolved with a good refurbishment.
The motel has a hot tub and a Chinese Restaurant on site.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Dear dinghyking :

Thank you for your feedback; Since your stay our room have undergone many changes and renovations. I hope you do visit us again in an effort to change your TA review to a positive one. If you like please contact me further pavi@goldenvillageinn.com