“Hell's Gate, Hope, British Columbia”

Hell's Gate Airtram
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Hope
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Drive the Scenic Fraser Canyon with its’ seven mountain tunnels through the historic heart of British Columbia and relive the biggest ‘rush’ on the Gold Rush Trail. A location so unique the ‘afterlife’ have come back to use it as a playground. Early explorers refer to it as “a place where no human being should venture”, and man & nature battle here for supremacy.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great day spent here. Lots to see and do. Fun for all the family. Learn't a lot about the early explorers and salmon fishing. The cable car is fun and the walk up to the train tracks is easy but affords good views.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stopped at Hell's Gate Airtram on our way home from Vancouver last summer. I had been on the tram once before, when I was still in my teens and thought it would be interesting to go again now. The ride is spectacular! The information center at the bottom is worth a visit. There were salmon running when we were there, and it was interesting to see the way the river had been to developed to assist the fish on their way. There was some interesting things to look at, but the shops and such weren't so great. I think it is something that we would probably do again, but not in the to near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I took my kids there 15 years ago, and now take my grandkids. If you have a fear of heights, this might not be for you (there is an optional walking path, I think), but even the youngest in our crew loved it. Lots of history and info about the natural world - great for school kids studying BC history, or enviornmentalists. Fun, exciting, but a bit expensive. Its worth looking for discount coupons. They have a free family day, a Thanksgiving pumpkin toss, and other special events. I avoid the gift shop and restaurant to save money; bring along a picnic to enjoy anywhere on the trip (Alexandria Bridge is close and has picnic tables). However, the ice-cream at Hell's Gate is worth the spurge.

1  Thank Bethsdottir
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Hell's Gate Airtram was always something we flew past when I was a kid and rather than trying to find the time to stop, we made IT the reason to go.

The history, the ride in the tram, the staff and the attraction once you are across (which I had no idea was even there) was fantastic. The restaurant/cafeteria was ok, a little pricey for what you get but when you're in between major cities in the Fraser Canyon, its to be expected.

We panned for gold, ate fudge, enjoyed the theatre, shops, etc. Great bit of history!

2  Thank Noelle H
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I'm originally from Vancouver Island and had ignored the tram for many years. Coming back and doing the touristy things made this an enjoyable stop while driving down the canyon to Vancouver. Yes, its a bit pricey but a great experience. As is walking out over Hell's Gate on the bridge which without a long hike down (and back up) is really only accessible via the tram. There is a lot of history to read about in the Air-conned gallery. A good way to spend an hour or two after many hours in the car.

1  Thank Stacy6767