“Hope is Fantastic”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Hope
Hamilton, Canada
“Hope is Fantastic”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our family of five recently stayed in Hope BC, which was half way between Kelowna and Vancouver. The Slumber Lodge Motel had clean rooms, a pool and was located in downtown Hope. I liked that the hotel had a two bedroom that would accomodate five without a pull out or cot. What I did not like was the windows did not open, so the room felt stuffy. We really enjoyed the city, the views of the mountains, the Fraser River, and the coffee from the Blue Moose were all fantastic. The wood carvings were so interesting, we enjoyed walking the town and discovering them all. We also hiked the Othello tunnels, a truly remarkable journey. We will visit Hope again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mission, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed overnight with 4 grandkids; despite the posted pool hours, we were allowed to use the pool from 9:00 to 10:15 pm (after the Brigade Days fireworks) and again the next morning for over an hour. The room was large enough, and on the same side as the pool, so didn't have to worry about kids crossing the parking lot. Room and beds comfortable, microwave and small fridge handy when travelling with kids. However, the room was way too hot! the air conditioner was noisy, so we could be comfortable and listen to the rattle, or too hot and quiet enough to sleep; I was up and down quite a few times, and none of us got much sleep. However, the kids keep asking to go back, so it served our needs ok. Likely better when there isn't a hot spell. Family restaurant across the street.

Room Tip: Ask for the shady side (if there is such a room)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BC
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We have been staying at this motel for a couple of years - it is on the way to our cabin, and makes a good stop over if we leave home late on a Friday. THey have dog-friendly rooms (book ahead to book as there aren't many). There is a pool which we haven't actually used (only open 6 to 9 pm), but it looks good (small, but great for kids). Rooms are clean. Staff are friendly. Beds are comportable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank finedinerBC
Southern Ontario
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My partner asked me yesterday why I haven't written a review of Slumberlodge as we were there recently and I told him that I didn't want people to think I was on their payroll but he pointed out that we did stay there and we did rave about it to our friends in the area so why not do an update.
Well it remains the best motel that we stay in on our many trips to BC.
The rooms are not only spotlessly clean but they are furnished with cream coloured upholstered chairs and pale carpets so that you are in no doubt at all about their cleanliness. The rooms we stayed in (3 different ones as we kept checking out as we went out of the area, then returning) all had new mattresses which was much appreciated. Coffee and tea making equipment and supplies are replenished daily, as are the complementary toiletries and towels in the bathroom.
I don't think we are super nitpicky but we do expect cleanliness, lots of hot water and value for money and Slumberlodge never disappoints!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank muskokagal2
Seattle
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We've stayed here several times en route from Seattle to Silver Star. We find the price reasonable, the beds comfortable, the rooms clean and quiet, the free wi-fi functional, and the service pleasant. There's a good diner just across the parking lot too. There's an indoor pool, although it has been non-operational the last couple of times we've visited - so if this is important to you, check first.

Room Tip: We've always had a load of gear, stayed on the ground floor, and never had a problem with noise.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank CohomomSeattle
Vancouver
Reviewed May 7, 2011

The Slumber Lodge is completely acceptable for a night or two if you are passing through Hope and need a place to sleep. The choices for motels in Hope are pretty slim and this is probably one of the better ones in town.

The beds aren't the most comfortable and the walls are thin (I heard snoring from the room next door) but overall it is a decent place. Plus the price is reasonable (at least in winter) and it is located right across the street from Rolly's, a great breakfast spot.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kwl
Hope, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Cycling across Canada in late winter is certainly a challenge; but what was difficult in finding a place to stay in Hope was finding a place that was cost effective (camp-grounds all currently closed) while being liveable and comfortable.

They certainly lived up to those standards and more and I am really impressed with how awesome they were. There have been complains of cleanliness and customer service by other posters and like a few others, I looked and genuinely tried to find something to complain about; unsuccessful in that here are my thoughts:

-this is not a Hilton, so don't expect it to be. The rooms are clean, the beds are tidy and there is no lingering odours from the previous guests (smell was brought up in one of the other reviews). There won't be a mint sitting on the pillow but I was happy to see a coffee maker with all the fixings for a good cup of tea.

-Desk service was courteous and very helpful; with one staff listing off all the great local eateries for a hungry cyclist on a budget. The manager (I stayed a little past checkout-mechanical trouble) was understanding and really helped me out.

I dinged points on Location and Sleep Quality simply because they are one of the furthest (by furthest in Hope you really won't have to walk over 1KM) motels from the down town while a lovely patron thought it would be funny to sound their car alarm near midnight.

I would definitely stay again and am putting the word out that they are very accommodating to cyclists. They ensured I had a ground floor room and the staff at the front desk even brought some ice to my room from upstairs when she heard I had crashed earlier in the day. If that isn't a good show of how great they are here than I don't know how much more proof you need!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo