“Cyclist Friendly with Soft Beds, Kind Staff and Good Rooms”

Slumber Lodge Motel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Hope
Hope, Canada
“Cyclist Friendly with Soft Beds, Kind Staff and Good Rooms”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Cycling across Canada in late winter is certainly a challenge; but what was difficult in finding a place to stay in Hope was finding a place that was cost effective (camp-grounds all currently closed) while being liveable and comfortable.

They certainly lived up to those standards and more and I am really impressed with how awesome they were. There have been complains of cleanliness and customer service by other posters and like a few others, I looked and genuinely tried to find something to complain about; unsuccessful in that here are my thoughts:

-this is not a Hilton, so don't expect it to be. The rooms are clean, the beds are tidy and there is no lingering odours from the previous guests (smell was brought up in one of the other reviews). There won't be a mint sitting on the pillow but I was happy to see a coffee maker with all the fixings for a good cup of tea.

-Desk service was courteous and very helpful; with one staff listing off all the great local eateries for a hungry cyclist on a budget. The manager (I stayed a little past checkout-mechanical trouble) was understanding and really helped me out.

I dinged points on Location and Sleep Quality simply because they are one of the furthest (by furthest in Hope you really won't have to walk over 1KM) motels from the down town while a lovely patron thought it would be funny to sound their car alarm near midnight.

I would definitely stay again and am putting the word out that they are very accommodating to cyclists. They ensured I had a ground floor room and the staff at the front desk even brought some ice to my room from upstairs when she heard I had crashed earlier in the day. If that isn't a good show of how great they are here than I don't know how much more proof you need!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Canada_Cyclist18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southern Ontario
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Once again we came away from a week at the Slumberlodge with nohing but good memories. Lots and lots of snow but the room was warm, clean and welcoming. There are lots of nice looking motels in Hope and over the years we have tried a few but this one is the best of the bunch. Nice owners too!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank muskokagal2
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I would not recommend this place. The bathroom was dirty and the bathtub had mold! There was an intense smell of cheap odour stick as if disguising who knows what other terrible smell. Terrible experience.

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank Marge004
Southern Ontario
Reviewed October 22, 2010

My partner and i recently spent yet another vacation at the Slumber Lodge. Because of a couple of negative reviews on Tripadvisor I made a mental note to see what they could have been complaining about, but for the life of me I couldn't find anything. The owners are super helpful and keep the place immaculate outside. Our room was spotless from the linens, to the carpets and the bathroom. We used both the sauna and the pool and they were just as clean as ever. We are both picky and expect value for our money and this place gives it. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Hope.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank muskokagal2
California
Reviewed October 14, 2010

The facility was cleaner then before and they still had very friendly staff. The rate was better than other motels. We would definately come back for the 3rd time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bunja
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I stayed at the slumberlodge on my way across the country. The service was fantastic. The staff was friendly. The room was clean. I had a very quiet and relaxed stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank casperlja
Kawhia,New Zealand
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I just can't fathom the previous review.
We paid $78 for a downstairs room.
Queensize bed, coffee maker, shower over bath, and cable TV.
It was well worth what we paid for it and priced $30 less than another motel we enquired at.
We only stayed 1 night on our way up to Radium Springs after picking up our rental car in Vancouver mid afternoon.
Yes, I did smell cigarette /smoking smells in the office when enquiring about rooms and had my doubts but the manager was so pleasant I took the room without even inspecting it.
We had insisted on a non-smoking room and it was fine.
I had wondered about trains and noise from them,
but that did not keep us awake.
And in Hope, I think you would hear trains no matter where you stayed.
Our only issue was with a grumpy couple upstairs who came home late boozed and rowdy.
There were remnants of a smashed ashtray and cigarette butts all over the ground in the morning. We were talking to the plumbers staying in the unit beside us before departing at about 9 am and a bedraggled middle aged female poked her head out from upstairs,this was followed by a rather loud bellowing from the hung over male inside,
Yelling at us to "S... the F..k up!."
So we did!
And after saying goodbye to our hosts we left.
Both the owners- husband and wife were really accommodating and we would have stayed there again on our return trip to Vancouver (for our last night in Canada)
but opted instead to drive on and stay at an airport hotel instead so we could sleep in, and have a late checkout the before flying home to New Zealand in the evening.

We thought Hope was a very pretty little town and had two meals there- Indian on our way through there to Radium Hot Springs and Chinese on our way back to Vancouver.
As far as Canadian small towns go -it has to be one of of the nicest we saw in B.C.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple