“Best in town”

Strand's Old House Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 44 Restaurants in Invermere
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Strand’s overlooks the business section of Invermere and offers a commanding view of the Rocky Mountains. Today, as yesterday, Strand’s is an integral part of Valley history. It was built in 1912 as the home of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Ritchie. At that time Mr. Richie owned the Livery Stable in Invermere and did heavy hauling with his team and wagon. He later became a prominent Valley rancher. The home was purchased by Dr. and Mrs. Filmer Coy around 1920. “Doc” Coy, as he was affectionately known, was for many years the only medical practitioner between Cranbrook and Golden. He set aside one room of his home for use as his consulting-study and many of his patients were examined and treated there. Dr. and Mrs. Coy were very influential and highly respected Valley citizens. Dr. Coy attained high military office during the Second World War. strands-08The Ian Weir family purchased the home about 1946 and three generations of Weirs enjoyed its beauty and comfort. In 1979, the home was purchased by Tim Strand and he opened Strand’s Old House Restaurant in June 1980 with Chef Tony Wood. Renovations and furnishings reflect the historical integrity of the home and, in line with its rich heritage, Tim Strand named the dining areas the Ritchie, Coy and Weir Rooms, and a fourth dining room Harrington named after the maiden name of Tim’s mother. Executive chef Tony Wood originally hails from New Zealand and has been an integral part of Strands since its inception. In 1992, Tony expanded on his partnership role and became the sole proprietor of Strands.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We spent two weeks in and around Invermere and tried most of the notable restaurants in the vicinity. Our meal at Strand's was the best, hands down. We each had meat a meat dish (beef and veal) and both the cuts and the sauces were extraordinary - among the best we can remember enjoying. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the vintages on the good wine list and service was both attentive and friendly. An outstanding experience.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Some friends reccommended this restaraunt to us, so we had high expectations, which weren't really met. The food and service was very average and forgettable. I had a salad and my husband had one of the specials, the elk sirloin, which was overcooked and underseasoned. The best part of the meal was the delicious desert, a blueberry white chocolate cheesecake which was fluffy, light and tasty. The ambience of the old house and art gallery were neat, but the food disappointed.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Although the restaurant was perhaps 1/3 full and remained so throughout our meal, the server seemed miffed when we said we did not have reservations. We were seated at the table and it was likely 12 -15 minutes before we saw anyone at our table. Perhaps noticing we were looking a bit perplexed, finally the server came and said, "Oh, I've been busy in the kitchen." We ordered our meals and although there was nothing wrong with the food, it was very bland and not well flavored. The peppercorn sauce for the rib eye steak had very little taste and that was unexpected. The portions are good sized and the food came out quite quickly after our initial wait. We were just expecting the food to be tastier and were disappointed when it had little taste.

3  Thank snowbound11
Reviewed August 3, 2012

A local shop owner in Radium Hot Springs recommended this restaurant and I am so glad he did. I loved the decor and ambiance of the house. I also enjoyed the photo's and the artwork throughout. It was a very relaxing, enjoyable meal.

There was a large selection on the menu and I felt the prices were reasonable. You can't go wrong with filet mignon and crab legs. I also enjoyed one of the best caesar salads I've ever had. We were also served fresh buns, and they were so good. In fact we were too full to enjoy desert.

I can't wait until my next visit.

2  Thank EdmontonBlondie40
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We went here because i had a voucher but will defintly be going back!!!Really good choice of main course on the early bird menu. I had the veal and moreal meatloaf and it was amazing! sauce that came with it was super delisous. Its quiet expensive if you eat off the normal menu but the food is worth it and the service was really really good as well.

2  Thank PanoramaVacation