“Nice place - staff lacks urgency and training”

Copper Point Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Invermere
Calgary, Alberta
“Nice place - staff lacks urgency and training”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Pulling up to copper point, I was excited to stay at this swanky mountain resort. check in was easy, and the room was nicer than I expected. We had a great view, with lots of space, and nice finishing in the room - granite/stainless steel, and hardwood. However, it's short comings were obvious quickly. The deadbolt wouldn't work on our door - we called down, and the house man told my wife that the deadbolt is only for propping the door open, not for locking the door.

The second night I wanted to BBQ a salmon, so I fired up the electric BBQ - not sure who thought these were a good idea. It was like an outdoor toaster, and definitely the worst BBQ I have ever seen. It wouldnt hold any heat, so I had to use the oven. Our room quickly filled with smoke after pre heating the oven, as a previous guest had made a mess of the oven, and it was not cleaned before we got there. We went out for dinner instead.

The restaurant and bar staff really fell short. There was no urgency to get you a drink, take plates away or make you feel like ordering anything else from them. Jeff, our waiter on a couple of occasions, tried very hard, and was the only one that I didn't have the look of apathy in his eyes. The food was hit or miss - pesto fettucini was among the best I have ever had. The burger was a mess - the texture was all filler - where's the beef?

I lodged my complaints with the manager on day 2 of our stay, and she was nice enough to comp us one night of our four. This place has great potential, but needs someone to steer the ship. I would definitely return, but not until I see it is getting good reviews for service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We visited this resort for 3 nights in August 2012 and found unexpected value for the money. Located just minutes from town and approximately 10 minutes from the Panorama Ski Resort, this hotel is ideally situated in a beautiful playground.

Grounds: The hotel is laid out in a W-shape, with the concierge, restaurant, pool, and spa at the center and 2- 4-storey buildings to each side. There are lovely views (either of the golf course or the mountains) from most rooms. The resort is primarily flat so there are no mobility issues. Elevators are provided to move between floors. Grounds are well maintained and none of the floor surfaces were slippery (of course this is summer). You’ll find everything quite clean.

Staff: It depends on who you get and how long they’ve been there. After a 9 hour drive to reach the hotel, we just wanted something to eat. Down to Elements Grill ... close, we didn’t know anywhere else to eat and didn’t feel like making the trip into town. “Please wait to be Seated” although there was no one manning the counter. We waited almost 10 minutes before catching the eye of the manager, who I must say was prompt and effective at getting us seated. Restaurant staff were blase. While the marginal food was delivered quickly, it took twice as long to get our bill. NOT impressed. The manager was again serving in Elements for breakfast and again our service level was what you’d expect of a resort trying to be this caliber. He obviously cares. Front desk staff were efficient, although not overly friendly or welcoming. Maid service was above average. We found the maintenance people particularly helpful.

Maids/Rooms: We didn’t have a problem with the ladies touching anything else we left out in the room. Beds were very comfortable and pillows excellent. Room was tastefully decorated. Soundproofing between rooms is reasonable. We were on the fourth floor and had a lovely partial view out to the mountains. The resort was hosting a wedding party that weekend and a number of the guests shared rooms in close vicinity to ours. Despite all the partying, we didn’t hear anyone else. In-room complimentary items were displayed on the sink in the bathroom and included: small tubes of shampoo, conditioner and 2 bars of soap. There was also some coffee packets left in the small kitchenette (no cream or sugar which was too bad). There is a hairdryer that worked reasonably well but we honestly didn’t find much use for it. In the closet, we found some robes which could be used to walk down to the pool/spa. Towels were a bit rough and scratchy but certainly reasonable enough. Each room has at least 4 bath sheets, 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 face cloths. There is a small fridge in the little kitchenette. Electricity is 110V 2-prong plugs. TV is satellite. Never had a problem finding something acceptable to watch. WIFI is available in the business center located in the lobby (or in my case I just turned on my Iphone Hotspot to be able to use my devices).

Food: The biggest disappointment of the stay. Given the look of the surroundings, we had great hopes as we walked into the restaurant just off the lobby. Eat somewhere else. We found Elements Grill to be both overpriced and the quality of the food average or below average. There are far better choices for your dollars in town. Walk to the Black Forest restaurant, try the Corner Café or Kicking Horse Café. Birchwood is a MUST for an food enthusiast. To make this a winning resort, significant improvements in the quality, freshness and preparations of the food would have to be made to bring the restaurant on par with the rest of the resort.

Local Shopping: Town was a big surprise. Shops open between 9:30am-10:00am and there is a wide variety of merchandise available.. Everything from bargains at the dollar store to high end art galleries, shoes and purses, a beautiful rock and gem shop and a great all-around store called Essentials. Well beyond our expectations. The Farmer’s Market in the center of town is a definite must ... go early, it gets packed quickly. Tons of food choices, there’s sure to be something to please everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and son went to this resort for a wedding. Even before we arrived there were discrepancies as to whether or not we could have a cot put in the room. We were a late check in and were reassured that everything would be set up for our arrival. The man was just delivering the cot when we got to our room. I had to help set it up and then ask for bedding. No! I'm going to let my son sleep on a mattress with no pillow or anything to keep him warm. We were given 1 sheet, 1 pillow and 1 pillow case. No blanket! The front desk staff didn't seem to have a clue.
The buffet was well below average. I had to get my own coffee and the bill was set on the table even before I had taken my first bite. We had to hunt someone down to pay for our meal and maybe should have just walked out.
At the wedding, we were served boiled chicken breasts and Caesar salad that we had to mix on our plate. Dessert consisted of 3 selection of squares that I could have bought at any grocery store. It was $50/ plate!
The wine on the table was provided by the bridal party and was taken away (full bottle or not) as soon as the meal was over. Our plates were taken away as we turned our head. Apparently they're worried about me gaining weight. How considerate of them!
The appearance of the staff was sloppy with fly away hair and untucked and wrinkled shirts. These are the people serving my food! I've had better customer service and food in a truck stop!
For what we paid to stay 2 nights here with meals, we could have flown to Mexico in busy season and stayed there for 2 weeks.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Sabrina1640
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2012

From the time of arrival till the evening prior to departure a number of facility and service issues tarnished our view of the Resort. On the upside, all of our complaints/inquiries were responded to by front line staff who in my opinion were not properly trained and did not have reference material or resources to fall back on. They were however resourceful and responsive to the best of their ability.
Do not expect hotel class service at the resort - rooms are not attended to on a daily basis. The rooms although well appointed, are the smallest I have ever encountered in Canada or the USA - the value proposition is highly suspect. I would not return.
The review by Gaetzy is spot on.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I came to Copper Point for our friend's wedding. The resort itself is beautiful and the amenities are plentiful.

On the downside the food is subpar and severely over priced. The staff, while friendly, are very young and seemed under trained.

While I would consider coming back in the future, it would not be my first choice.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
alberta
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We recently spent a wonderful night at Copper Point resort on our way to Idaho. We (couple) and our two dogs randomly picked this area as on overnite stop. It appeared on a dog friendly web site. we booked a one bedroom suite . We actually ended up with a two bedroom suite for same price.
The "room" was amazing. we own a rental condo and this place was atleast as big. it was decorated very tastefully. All amenities were available. even washer dryer! Master bath was lovely. we had two balconies furnished and with BBQ. Two other bathrooms also . Fireplaces would mike this a nice ski getaway as well.
We were on second floor and were worried about prancing our dogs in and out but everyone was super friendly. the resort is beautiful. pools looked lovely, although we didn't swim because of the dogs. We wondered around quite a bit . Only found one road that looked quiet enough to walk dogs but it was along golf course so was quite nice.
overall looks like a great place to go for a golf or ski vacation. We will definately stop there on our way thru next year!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Such a gorgeous place in a beautiful part of the world! The view from anywhere is spectacular!!

This place I find is struggling from an identity crisis. Is it a resort? A time share? Condos? A hotel? All of the above?

No matter what it is, the staff needed to be trained on customer service and the importance of making your customers feel that they want to come back.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Invermere
Best Western Invermere Inn
Best Western Plus Prestige Inn Radium Hot Springs
Best Western Plus Prestige Inn R...
#6 of 22 in Radium Hot Springs
Fairmont Mountainside Vacation Villas
Fairmont Mountainside Vacation V...
#2 of 4 in Fairmont Hot Springs
Piccadilly Motel
Piccadilly Motel
#2 of 22 in Radium Hot Springs
Bighorn Meadows Resort
Bighorn Meadows Resort
#4 of 22 in Radium Hot Springs
Panorama Mountain Resort

Been to Copper Point Resort? Share your experiences!