“Disliked the Sportsman Motel”
Review of Sportsman's Motel

Sportsman's Motel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Merritt
Reviewed July 11, 2007

I was riding my motorcycle along looking for a motel in Merritt, BC and saw the Sportsman that was advertising best rates and Internet.
I checked with at desk clerk about the availability of cable Internet and the room rate. I was told yes they had cable and wireless Internet and the room rate was $49 so I checked in without checking further.
After checking in I search for the Internet cable connection that I couldn't find so I went back to the desk clerk and ask where it is located.
I was then told they only had wireless Internet and I mentioned I had specifically asked for cable Internet and said that I wouldn't take the room as I needed Internet access.
When I asked for my credit card bill back I was told that there would be a $5 charge because it was advertised that wireless and it was supposedly my fault that I misunderstood even though I asked specifically about the availability of cable Internet.
In fact they were not totally honest about their sign as it said only "internet" from the direction I came, it did say "wireless internet" from the other direction. They also said there was a charge for reversing the credit card transaction which for some reason they processed at check-in as opposed at my check out.
In the end they charged me $5.35 for, what I consider their mistake.

Overall my experience, although short, was terrible. The customer service was essentially non-existence, the room was smelly, the windows wouldn't open, the air conditioner was extremely noisy, and they didn't have cable Internet that I specifically asked about, and they charged me $5.35 for their not being totally honest with me.

Not more than a 100 metres further down the road was motel for $20 more that had clean, fresh smelling rooms, windows that opened, cable and wireless Internet, and very helpful and friendly service.

The Sportsman Motel in Merritt BC is one I would NOT recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank miskr

Travelers also viewed these Merritt hotels
1 mi away
#9 of 13 in Merritt
Super 8 Merritt BC
Super 8 Merritt BC
#6 of 13 in Merritt

Been to Sportsman's Motel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sportsman's Motel

Address: 3463 Voght St, Merritt, British Columbia V1K 1C6, Canada
Location: Canada > British Columbia > Merritt
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Merritt
Price Range: $47 - $60 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2 star — Sportsman's Motel 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Sportsman's Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.