“Dump”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Merritt
Courtenay
“Dump”
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I found the sportsman online and it was advertised as 49.00 per night so I said Ok. She quoted $110.00 which I took to be for the two nights I booked. On Thurday I decided to go for an extra day and checked in and the bill was almost 400. it was $110 a day as it was Music fest . I was very upset but being told everything was booked ( another non truth) that i wouldn't get another room. This being my first time there for the music I believed her. I think this is classed as false advertisment wouldn't it? Also the rooms are dumps.TV is so small and the picture is only on half the screen. When I had a shower the dirt came out from under the panel. Was also told that she could charge half of my booking if I cancelled right then and there. Met another lady who was staying there and her opinion of it being a dump was the same and had gotton the same speil.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank blisful

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
vancouver island
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Extremely dirty rooms, toilet was plugged upon check in and no manager on duty, rooms are circa 1960 and have never been updated. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone - there are 4 other new hotels on the same strip - please stay away from the Sportsman's.

NOTE - The only reason we stayed was because it was the only room left in town (under $175) as we were passing through town (during Merritt Mountain Music Fest)

Stayed July 2008
4 Thank tcdez
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2007

I was riding my motorcycle along looking for a motel in Merritt, BC and saw the Sportsman that was advertising best rates and Internet.
I checked with at desk clerk about the availability of cable Internet and the room rate. I was told yes they had cable and wireless Internet and the room rate was $49 so I checked in without checking further.
After checking in I search for the Internet cable connection that I couldn't find so I went back to the desk clerk and ask where it is located.
I was then told they only had wireless Internet and I mentioned I had specifically asked for cable Internet and said that I wouldn't take the room as I needed Internet access.
When I asked for my credit card bill back I was told that there would be a $5 charge because it was advertised that wireless and it was supposedly my fault that I misunderstood even though I asked specifically about the availability of cable Internet.
In fact they were not totally honest about their sign as it said only "internet" from the direction I came, it did say "wireless internet" from the other direction. They also said there was a charge for reversing the credit card transaction which for some reason they processed at check-in as opposed at my check out.
In the end they charged me $5.35 for, what I consider their mistake.

Overall my experience, although short, was terrible. The customer service was essentially non-existence, the room was smelly, the windows wouldn't open, the air conditioner was extremely noisy, and they didn't have cable Internet that I specifically asked about, and they charged me $5.35 for their not being totally honest with me.

Not more than a 100 metres further down the road was motel for $20 more that had clean, fresh smelling rooms, windows that opened, cable and wireless Internet, and very helpful and friendly service.

The Sportsman Motel in Merritt BC is one I would NOT recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Service, room cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank miskr