“Great place”

Intown Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Merritt
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Very close to down town, clean, separate bedrooms with 2 bathrooms and full kitchen. For the price it's hard to go wrong. Close walk to downtown and all amenities. Excellent staff, very friendly and fairly quick Internet as far as motels go. Would most assuredly stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I like the econolodge, clean and nice rooms but it is more expensive than other places. I am not a nit picky person but I also didnt like that the cleaning lady didnt come on one of the days when I took the do not disturb sign off and made a point to leave all day. It is perfect walking distance for the town but not in the centre of it. I have my little girl with me and there is a great park across the bridge also walking distance. There is a liquor store, pub, A&W, subway, pizza place across the road and the laundromat is only a few blocks into town. If you want to go to a grocery store, the Coopers has better prices than the Extra Foods here, which I thought was suprising and it is way closer. We stayed for a week at the econolodge and it cost us a little under $500! We are moving to Ranchland Villa Motel tomorrow. They offered a monthly rate of $750. My husband is working here for now so we needed a longer term solution. I looked for apartments and actually went and seen one but none were furnished and we would have to give a 30 day notice to vacate. If you are staying one night I would reccommend this place, but I will write a review for Ranchland Villa in a few days :)

Room Tip: I stayed in 208 it is a nice bright suite and you can look out the window at the beautiful mountains...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stopped in Merritt only because it was half way to where we were going.

We booked into the Econo Lodge because it had two beds and a pull-out sofa and the price seemed okay. Of course, you get what you pay for.

The room had a strange odour but otherwise looked okay. I got to sleep on the pull-out sofa and it wasn't the best but my two companions complained about the very hard bed they slept on. Both said they got backaches.

There was a sign above the sink that said "TO OUR GUESTS Please Leave $5.00 or do your dishes Thank-you."

That really pissed me off. How does Econo Lodge monitor this? What if the person before me is a slob and only rinses their plates, cups, etc? Am I supposed to use a plate with some dried bits of egg? Some folks may consider that clean but I certainly don't. This is just plain bad practice that no hotel/motel should ever encourage. Because what's next? Will we have to clean the toiled bowl or leave $10.00???

The continental breakfast was equally disappointing. It is in a cold, unwelcoming, mini-meeting room. The coffee was as weak as I've ever seen and the yogourt was one day short of 'best before date.'

Not recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kanadai
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Walked into our shabby room, right away noticed a musty smell that didn't go away. No queen beds as was requested in the reservation and confirmed. The bathtub is chipping away in this room, the tub stopper is rusty and we couldn't get it in the tub! You can buy them for $1.99 at Walmart!!! The pillows on the bed were paper thin, the lamp by the bed hanging off the wall, not even a remote for the tv. The wireless access is a joke - I had to get the dude at the front desk to reset the router before it would connect. At this moment, I have no clue where the breakfast is at, so we are going elsewhere. Right outside our room was a full ashtray and empty beer bottles all over. Yeah, it's cheap but there is a reason! Unfortunately, someone booked this room for me against my better judgement. I won't trust theirs again.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We had to come to Merritt for a weekend for and event. A committee booked for us so we had no choice. Upon arrival we were a bit sketchy. Our room was a double bed and a pullout sofa. The sofabed had a 2" thick mattress. Horrible! The double bed was in a renovated closet. We went to the front desk and the clerk said he 'found' a room for us which seemed odd. We took it and stayed against our better judgement. The room was not clean and had a funny smell. Oh well we thought, its only for teo nights and close to our venue. Later that night an odor came through the adjoining door from the next room. It was the smell of Marijuana. We called to complain but the young fellow at the desk did nothing. All four of us staying in the room were coughing, had headaches and sore throats. There was no way I was putting my feet on the floor so I wore my shoes at all times. The air conditioner barely worked and the window didn't open. The breakfast was some cereal and milk from the desk clerks fridge. That was it! We checked out and found a much nicer place at a lower cost! Sorry Econo Lodge, never again!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Tinab242
Management response:Responded August 21, 2012

We do understand your concern from your stay and appreciate your comments to help us better our hotel and service.

However, we would like to clarify a couple of points you have made for future guests.

As this guests room was booked on short notice (one week before arrival) during an extremely busy event for our hotel due to vicinity of the venue, availability was limited. While they needed two beds, the closest room available for the required accommodation at the time of booking was a one-bedroom suite with a pull-out sofa bed. Once the guests arrived it was obvious this was far from satisfactory so we made some changes in order to free up a room with 2 double beds to better accommodate their needs as there was 4 guests in total.

There was no mention of a lack of cleanliness in the room upon arrival, while there would have been no other alternatives due to availability that weekend, we would have gladly allowed them to seek out another hotel better suited to their liking, as we have no intent in forcing somebody to stay in a room they are not satisfied with, if this was brought to our attention it very easily could have been resolved.

The phone call received complaining of the smell of marijuana was approximately between 11pm-midnight. We notified the guest who was the cause of the problem immediately, he was compliant and understood (obviously), and was charged accordingly the following morning, unfortunately, once again due to availability there was not much more that could be done for the guest at that time. In any other circumstance the guest would have been offered an immediate upgrade.

In anticipation of a very busy week, we prepared by ensuring all air-conditioners were in good operation by running them for a day to make sure they weren't freezing and were in fact cooling down the rooms, any air conditioners that were a problem were swapped out with new ones.

The room this guest stayed in had a window that is fully operation with two safety locks on the window, I am assuming if they did in fact have problems opening the window it was due to the second safety lock being in place. We should point out however to future guests, we do have rooms that are in breezeways, so due to fire code, these windows are not able to open.

Our breakfast area is held in our conference room, which is outfitted with it's own full-sized fridge, as there is a door that separates the fridge from the conference room, it may have appeared to be in the manager-suite. However, this conference room and all supplies for breakfast are kept entirely separate from the manager-suite.

We do offer a continental breakfast, which consists of cereal, as well as, assorted fruit, coffee, juice, bread and muffins.

We are sad to hear this guest had a less then satisfactory stay.

However we are proud to have hosted a full-house for several nights that week with no other complaints, as well as a couple of compliments! (Best Econo Lodge one lady had ever stayed at even!)

We welcome this guest to try our property again in the near future as we are confident this was simply a one off scenario that would not occur again.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed here only for a night, in fact from evening to early morning just to crash. Actually we got a suite, which is unusual for a motel, with full size fridge, ovens, microwave, and coffee maker for a small town like Merritt. It has living room with couch and TV and a very small bedroom with not much room to walk around. The bedroom had a cloth hanger which came in the way of moving over to other side of the bed, and I actually bumped my head into it when I got up in the night for bathroom. Kind of strange why a hanger needs to be there when the living room already has one.

Somehow we felt a twin bed single but bigger room would have been better than a suite, where both rooms are small and not much space to move around. Overall, it was not a bad motel for crashing a night.

Room Tip: If you end up taking the suite, please be mindful of the hanger in the bedroom.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi there,

It was an absolute pleasure hosting you for your one night stay in Merritt, and welcome you back anytime in the future!

We are aware of the odd layout of that particular room, as we do have renovations planned in the near future, the room in question will certainly be addressed to better accommodate future and return customers needs.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I telephoned the hotel to confirm the amenities and was told they served a continental breakfast with juice, fruit, cereals, toast, muffins and perhaps waffles if it was busy. Upon arrival there were about 4 muffins sitting out. The next morning we think the same muffins were still there along with a couple of apples. The clerk was also rather rude when asked about the breakfast and said that was it!

Although the hotel advertised that it was recently renovated, it had old furniture and the bathrooms were dirty and smelly. We cancelled the next night and went to a Best Western in town which only cost $5.00 more and was excellent with clean rooms, a wonderful breakfast, swimming pool, etc.

We really do hate being lied to by staff members (or perhaps it was the owner).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of your less then satisfying stay at our property.

As I cannot speak for your prior experience as the hotel is now under new management, I can assure you our breakfast consists of everything you had been told of when you first contacted the hotel.

Our hotel was built in 2-phases, so there is an older part and newer part of the building, for future reference mention you'd like to be in one of the newer rooms and we will be sure to accommodate your request!