“Great beer and food, but care needed........”

Mission Springs Brewpub & Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 102 Restaurants in Mission
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mission Springs Brewing Company offers your entire family an action-packed day or evening highlighted by delicious food and drink. Kids and adults alike enjoy our wood-oven, hand-stretched specialty pizza and our famous burgers. Come try out our new Tailgate buffet from Friday to Saturday featuring our all-you-can-eat wings!!! And adults can wash it all down with popular Springs' brew pub ales during meals and while dancing to the sound of our bands on Saturday. Mission Springs Brewing Company produces its beers in-house using a traditional English-style, 10-barrel brewery. Our Brewers Nathan and Trevor use purified water and only the finest hops and malts to produce our line of Mission Springs ales.
Coquitlam, Canada
“Great beer and food, but care needed........”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We're regulars at this establishment, which in our well-researched opinion offers the best burgers in the Lower Mainland, along with a good variety of other food options The beer brewed here is excellent as well, with an outstanding variety of brews for all tastes. The atmosphere is also very conducive to a positive experience. Well worth supporting.

On the last visit (reviewed earlier on TripAdvisor), we expressed some concerns over the service which, although very friendly, was a bit on the slow side. On that occasion, this was mainly due to the fact that a very large party came in and monopolized the single server during what would otherwise have been a relatively slack period. We understand how things like this can arise but nonetheless noted that staffing levels appeared to be inadequate to respond to such unexpected sitiuations and recommended more attention to this issue.

This time, our server was both prompt and friendly. We ordered an appy of calamari, which came quite quickly considering that the place was packed (as usual at dinner-time on a Saturday might). The beer likewise arrived promptly. However, the calamari was far more greasy and less well spiced than usual - rather bland, in fact. We got the impression that the kitchen was rushing things .......

Still, that left the main courses. We decided to try a few different things other than the usual burgers that we come for - this time, we ordered a pulled pork sandwich with salad and the "craft mac 'n cheese", also with salad.

Our order was taken promptly and courteously. We waited ....... and waited ........ and waited. Our hard-working server kept on rushing by (as I said, the place was packed) but we couldn't catch his attention. After 20 minutes, we flagged down another server and asked her to look into the status of our order. She went away and that was the last we saw of her! However, she must have done something, because after another 6 or 7 minutes, our order finally arrived with our original server!

Both dishes were excellent, as we have come to expect from this place. Most significantly, they were quite hot, implying that they had just left the kitchen! This was not a case of the food being prepared and then forgotten. Since it does not take 26 minutes to prepare a mac 'n cheese or a pulled pork sandwich, we can only assume that our order was somehow lost (probably at the kitchen end) and only revived and prepared when we sent the other server to check.

Seeming confirmation of this came when at the end of the meal our server apologized very sincerely for the delay and told us that our drinks would be at no charge. The check reflected this. We very much appreciated this gesture, which was a responsible compensatory measure on the part of staff. However, the need for it should never have arisen.

We will continue to patronize the place because of the excellent food and beer available there. We also very much like the atmosphere. However, our patience has limits! We will be looking for a distinct improvement in the level of service if we are to continue to return.

• Visited August 2014
DIRECTORofREVIEWS, Public Relations Manager at Mission Springs Brewpub & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
You're absolutely right… some extra care is needed. We are all working on that right now- front of house and kitchen! Hopefully we blow you away next time you are in :-)
Thanks again!

Prince Edward Island, Canada
“A Saturday stop for dinner”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

After a nice evening of riding, we stopped into Mission Springs for dinner with friends. There was quite the crowd at the door but we were seated quickly. Our waitress was new so we factored that into our review. After placing our drink orders and dinner at the same time, we waited. Another waitress noticed our drink orders had not come out and was about to get on it when our waitress arrived with all the drinks and water. Even though we placed our food order at the same time, our food came out first and it was a few minutes before the other couple got their order.

Now one would think nacho in a pub would be a staple and easy to get right. Our nachos were cold. Not sure how that happens. The waitress did offer to get a new order but we were worried about time and we were starving. Still, that should never have left the kitchen.

The atmosphere is nice and we had good company so the evening was nice. Not sure this would rate another drop in.

• Visited July 2014
DIRECTORofREVIEWS, Public Relations Manager at Mission Springs Brewpub & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you very much for writing and letting us know about your recent experience in the Mission Springs. Yes… you did have a very new waitress and I think a few more days of training are in order! I have also brought up your concerns about the nachos with the kitchen staff and hopefully that won't happen again- as we normally pride ourselves on our nachos. Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you back in the Springs soon under better circumstances.
“Also there on July 7th”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We have been eating at the Springs for over 20 years. Monday's dinner was so poor that if it was our first visit we would never go back! Lacklustre service and low quality food. Kitchen staff training is no excuse: where is your quality control? The spicy humus was inedible!!

2 Thank BC-Valley-Guy
First of all, I would like to thank you for writing in and letting us know how your experience was.
Secondly, I would like to also thank you for being a loyal patron for over 20 years. It is customers such as yourself that we like to hold on to.
The locals, the community.
Thirdly, your experience here on the evening of July 7th doesn't sound like it was a good experience at all.
We are in another management transition and hopefully things will be looking up. Your comments have been forwarded on to the entire management team and now training and food quality are our #1 priorities.
Thank you very much for letting us now and I hope that if you do decide to come in again, we can attempt to rebuild the bridge.
New Westminster, Canada
“Quite honestly the worst dining experience of my life. ”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Wow, where to start?
When we arrived and placed drink orders one of my party members who is diabetic ordered a simple hummus dish and requested it be brought out as soon as possible. About 45 minutes later it arrived. Most of the remaining food arrived in about another 15 minutes.
The food was not good. The pizza was dry and although technically editable I would not recommend it to anybody. Also the fries which came with someone's burger were pre-packaged frozen and gross.
I ordered the lasagna, which the waitress informed me, after everyone was half done, that it was delivered to the wrong table and they needed to make me a new one.
I had my salad, to which I paid extra to upgrade to a Caesar, brought out in the meantime. It was of few crew tons and was watery. I had to get extra sauce brought out to me. The sauce was creamy and flavorful, I don't think they used any in the original salad.
By the time my lasagna arrived everyone was done eating and I was forced to awkwardly eat while everyone sat around not eating.
Even as hungry as I was by now I barely ate any as it tasted bland and the noodles were undercooked.
I asked the waitress if it was supposed to come with garlic bread, she had no idea and went to check. She did return later with some as the kitchen messed up again.
Nothing was comped.

Apparently they do their training on a Monday.
I have been before many times but this will be the last time I ever come back, Monday or any other day.

TL;DR
Terrible service, bad food, ignorant staff. Avoid!

2 Thank LandStander82
I don't really know where to start either!
It sounds like a horrific experience and 100% will be dealt with immediately.
Both kitchen and front of house management has been forwarded your email and we hope that this never happens again.
Although it is no excuse, we are going through another management transition at the moment and things are very much starting to look up. Food quality and staff training are our #1 priorities at the moment.
I hope that we can welcome you back in to the Springs once again, as our guests.
Please contact events@missionspringsbrewingcompany.com if you would like to arrange a date.
Thank you again for your review.
Vancouver, Canada
“Good beer but food menu has gone down hill”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We used to love this restaurant. Over the last year the menu has been changed several times and the quality of food has really gone down hill while the costs has gone up :( The beer is still good. Best to go for beers and apply hour and have dinner somewhere else...

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank gr8fulmom
Thank you for your review.
You're right… our brews are top-notch and we're pleased that you enjoy them.
In regards to the kitchen, it has become a top priority and we have a new chef in place that will only bring us up!
:-)