“Quick Service Great Food”
Review of Main Street Diner

Main Street Diner
Ranked #19 of 95 Restaurants in Nelson
Nelson, Canada
“Quick Service Great Food”
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

This has been one of my favorite restaurants in Nelson since 1995.

Whether it's busy or slow the food always comes within 15 minutes usually quicker. The meals are always great.

The fish and chips is great for a family dinner. Verland Harris incredible whether it's a sandwich for lunch or the lamb meal for dinner.

Red Deer, Canada
“A Consistently Good Restaurant”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We've been to the Main Street Diner every year for, at least, 8-10 years, and we have never had, either, a bad meal, or bad service, and this time was no exception. My husband and I went for dinner on a Thursday evening, and it was quite quiet, which was unusual for this restaurant. We both ordered the lamb wrap with Greek salad, and it was, as always, fabulous. The service was also really good, but I would expect it to be as we were one of only three tables being served. Usually, it is summer when we go, so it is hopping, and yet, we have never had bad service. The food is outstanding value, and it is just, generally, a really comfortable place to dine.

• Visited March 2014
“Nice casual lunch spot”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Good place to get some comfort food. We got a fish and chips plate and a version of a gyro, both were delicious. I also enjoyed a Black and Tan to go with the wonderful fry plate. Prices seem a bit high, but this is nelson. I would go back. My husband's only comment was on the tiny little table. Our waiter was attentive and helpful- oh, and something not all the waitstaff in Nelson had mastered- he was friendly, as was the other woman working while we were there. We enjoyed our lunch, didn't feel rushed or neglected. Nice building inside.

Nelson, Canada
“Worst in Nelson”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

This place might just be the worst restaurant service I've ever been to anywhere. A group of 8 people including myself went to Main Street Diner last year and experienced one of the most bizarre and absolutely unbelievable services I've ever had the misfortune of ever having. For starters my friend ordered deep fried oysters and when he cut into them they were filled with black crap. Immediately we showed server and he insisted that's how they are supposed to be, so we asked him to eat one and he wouldn't. Then some of our entrées began to arrive, everyone at the table ordered the same thing.... The "famous" fish and chips. The only problem was only 6 orders came to the table leaving me and my friend without any food, the condescending waiter suggested we share. Yes our server apparently did not put in our order and took no ownership of the situation nor did he make an attempt to fix it. Mad as hell I asked to speak to the manager. The waiter came back and said she was too busy cooking. I have never been so insulted and I have been reluctant to leave this kind of review for a local business, but I will not set foot in this place ever again and have probably told 300 people about this experience and continue to try and talk people out of going there whenever the name Main Street Diner comes up in conversation. I would seriously eat out of a grocery store dumpster before this place.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Pete P
MainStreetDinerNelso, General Manager at Main Street Diner, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with us while out with your friends last month. We pride ourselves on quality and have been doing operating in Nelson since 1983.

I'm terribly sorry your friend was not happy with his Deep Fried Oysters. They are shipped to us fresh, never frozen, on crushed ice, straight from the west coast 3 times a week.

Most people are not used to eating oysters cooked in this way. The black 'crap' you mentioned is indeed perfectly normal. As with all shellfish, they are an 'exoskeleton-bearing aquatic invertebrate' meaning unlike most other meat items on restaurant menu's an oyster's digestive system is not removed prior to human consumption. Oysters are most commonly eaten; raw, on the half shell, and usually whole, some people may be turned off when cutting into them. Our server was correct in stating that is how they always are and always will be. Squeeze of fresh lemon & some tarter sauce, they are truly delicious.

It does sound like that issue wasn't handled correctly by our server, however asking him to eat one and being upset when he said no, leads me to believe it was handled poorly by both parties. It's not our policy to consume food off our customer's plates even if he did eat shellfish.

I'm also sorry to hear that 2 dishes were forgotten on your parties order. Mistakes happen and I must assume by the harsh nature of your review and subsequent discouragement of our potential patrons around town (really you've scared off 300 customers because of one bad experience?) his remark about sharing with your friend, although incorrect, was surely meant to be taken as sarcasm. I am left to assume that you did not indeed share your friends meal and that he corrected his mistake and all 8 meals were delivered.

The server who worked that night has been with us for over 5 years and subsequently we have granted him managerial control when things are busy and the acting manager or owner is stuck in the kitchen. (In this case, correcting the servers forgotten items and preparing the 2 missed dishes from your tables order as quickly as humanly possible). We try to right every situation but when someone is 'mad as hell' over an honest mistake we've learnt over the years that little works to rectify the situation. As we say when the kitchen runs hot, 'walk it off' and as the Old Radicals sang about in the 90's, 'You get what you give'.

Nelson is a small town with a ton of great places to eat. May I suggest that if you will not be returning to give us chance try the Library at the Hume or Louie's Steak House. Curious why you waited almost 12 months before sharing your animosity towards us, here at the Diner, with the world wide web.

To think that you've told 300 people about your one bad experience saddens me. We're truly sorry you had such a terrible experience with us but with 30 years of operation in the same location suggests we must be doing something right. I've printed out your review and posted it on the staff board in the back and discussed your experience with all our front of house employees. We will all try to learn from your feedback.

Stop by for lunch some time on us.

Promise if you do give us another chance it'll be better than even Nelson's very own Kootenay Co-Op Grocer's dumpster.
Guaymas, Mexico
“OK”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Seems to be out of control - needs mgmnt focus and control - good location. Food good - we ordered the Greek "platter" to share.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank jack t
Thanks for giving us a try. Happy to hear you guys enjoyed your Kosta's Dinner. Really appreciate the feedback regarding management. We'll work on it!