“A must see” 5 of 5 bubbles

Main Street Diner
Ranked #16 of 94 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Greek, Diner, Canadian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edmonton, Canada
“A must see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I hit this diner at least once every year I am out in the Nelson area. I am served by the same wonderful man each time! the service is amazing and the food is to die for. My one Irish friend swears by the Halibut fish & chips!

Visited July 2013
MainStreetDinerNelso, General Manager at Main Street Diner, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thanks so much for your kind review. I can only assume you are met by Lorence (he's about 6'8" tall?) each time you are in. He's always in for a good laugh!

I have to admit, I share your friends passion for our Halibut & Chips. Thankfully Nelson has no shortage of hills to climb to stay fit!

Hope to see you next time you're thru town trmpt.

Oliver, British Columbia, Canada
“Main street diner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Good food, friendly service and reasonable prices. The menu was quite extensive with lots of Greek type choices. The food was excellent and sitting right on main street is a very interesting place to people watch.

Visited July 2013
Thanks for your kind review.

We've always had a 'beginners menu' with only our favourite's on it stashed away for those finding it hard to decide on what to eat. We admit, our menu has too many great items to choose from.

See you when you return Reklaw252! Happy Travels.
Battleford, Canada
“Kick back and relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just want a beer on a hot afternoon? This is the place to go. Want pleasant and friendly service? This is the place to go. Want a snack or a full meal? This is the place to go.
Our best recommendation is that we will return.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Well I already thanked you by mistake in the review above, we appreciate your endorsement for our establishment.

Catch the patio, mid-day when the sun is shining and have us pour you an icy cold pint of the Nelson Brewery's Harvest Moon Hemp Ale and you will not be disappointed.

See you next time. (and thanks Hilary D for the kind review ^^)
Trail, Canada
“Great for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had a great lunch at the Main Street Diner. We arrived shortly after noon and found that there was ample seating. The diner did fill up quickly but the lone waiter did a great job at serving all the tables. I had the soup and sandwich lunch special. It was $9.75 and I got a delicious fresh egg salad sandwich, a bowl of chicken potato soup (very yummy) and homemade fries. It was very filling. My husband ordered a burger and was very pleased as well. The waiter was very attentive even though there were seven other tables he was waiting on.

This is a very popular restaurant. In the summer it fills up quickly so you should expect to wait to get a table. On a Wednesday at the beginning of May it was great. One of the nice things that this restaurant offers is outside seating. In the middle of a hot Kootenay summer its a great place to eat.

I would recommend this restaurant. Good food and good service.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kootenay
“Extremely Bad Contemptuous Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

The last time my friend and I had dinner at this restaurant, the service was atrocious. We were seated at the front of the restaurant and had to wait half an hour before being given the opportunity to order food. A couple, who were seated after we were, was waited on before us and they had their food fifteen minutes before we got ours.

When my fish and chips were served, I was not asked whether I wanted lemon (And it seems as though they should automatically give it to you, without having to be asked. All restaurants but this one does this.) No one asked whether my food was satisfactory. It was impossible to catch the waiter's attention, so I had to walk behind the bar to ask for more tartar sauce and then again to tell him that the Caesar salad was too peppery.

His response was to contradict me and say, "it's always peppery." So I was forced to argue that I had eaten there several times and never found it to be this bad. He finally conceded to get me another salad. When it arrived, I told him that I wanted it to go (because the service had put me off my food) and he looked contemptuously at me and said, "you eat it here if you want it." Then rather than telling me he would get it for me, he turned away without a word. "If I hadn't been waiting for my friend to finish his food, I would have gotten up and left."

Eventually, the waiter showed up with the salad in a container.

I will never eat at this restaurant again. No one deserves to be treated this way, even if the establishment is busy at lunchtime. Before this experience, I had only eaten here during off hours.

The service you get at Main Street Diner depends largely on unstated discriminatory factors. I would never recommend Main Street Diner to anyone who lives or visits Nelson.

• Visited February 2013