“Above Excellent Place For Food and Service!”
Review of The Library Lounge

The Library Lounge
Ranked #3 of 101 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Library Lounge is at the heart of the Hume Hotel. Located just off the front lobby, The Library has a cozy, parlour-like atmosphere with a replica of the original Hume Hotel bar (complete with brass) polished and prepped for your visit. Caryatids and original moldings decorate the interior, as does the original monumental brick hearth and fireplace that warms the room. Full restaurant meal service is offered, as are a selection of wines, beer and spirits to complement the live jazz and other music featured nightly.
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I just walked in the door from another excellent time meeting friends for lunch at the Hume Hotel! I can't say enough Great adjectives for, not only the tasty food, but the incredible service by Shauna Long! Her demeanour for treating the customers with such caring and wonderful service just makes the visit to the Dining Room all that more special! It's no wonder that my friends and I always choose that establishment first and have had nothing but great food and the best service ever! Thank you Hume Hotel, and thank you, Shauna Long!

Ryan M, General Manager at The Library Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

You are right - Shauna Long is fantastic. She's another long term employee that we adore. Thanks for posting another great review about this place. We feel the love.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We visit Nelson every summer and eating at the Hume is always a must. Our server Adam (this last visit) was friendly and professional and Richard always comes for a chat. Burgers, borscht, the beef dip and the cabbage rolls are all favourites. When the fries are ordered crispy they are my favourite of any restaurant. Always a great place to eat!

Ryan M, General Manager at The Library Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thanks for the glowing review. Richard is a General Store veteran while Adam has been with us for almost one full year. These guys really know how to hold it down when it's busy and always with a smile. We are lucky to have them on board. Thanks for coming in.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The best meals we had while in the Crawford Bay/ Nelson B.C.area were in The Library lounge in the historic Hume Hotel. Not only was the food excellent, but the service was friendly -- the kind of natural, unassuming interaction you expect in a small Canadian town. But, of course, Nelson is a B.C. gem ( and I don't mean jade). As for the nudes -- I spy with my naked eye -- check-out the ceiling and the fireplace.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

On June 27th 2013 my Aunt Daisy, took myself (nephew Fred) and (wife Joanne) once again to the library or lunch.
Aunt Daisy is a regular in The Library, at her favorite table beside the fireplace and our server / hostess M. J. (that's what she likes to go by) brought her cushion for the chair - - - which we found out is a ritual when Aunt Daisy visits her favorite restaurant in Nelson..
As usual the service was excellent and the food superb.
We (Joanne and I) have come to The Library every time we are in Nelson to visit - - because of the food and service.
We found M.J. our server to have a very special "Sparkle" about her.
She was in control of her surroundings and guests and working what SEEMED to be effortlessly.
I don't know what the other servers name is but they appear to work well together.
What I do know because Joanne and I eat out frequently while travelling and even in our home city that M. J. is one of the best hostesses we have encountered.
When we were in the food service industry it would have been a pleasure to have her on our staff as a leader.
Thank you M.J. for the service and for always looking after our Aunt Daisy.
In conversations with various staff at The Hume Hotel it is apparent that the owners know how to treat their management and staff - - they all appear to be a very happy group from the front desk inward.
It is and always has been a pleasure to eat at The Library and we will be back again next summer when we come to visit Aunt Daisy.

Ryan M, General Manager at The Library Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

We are happy that Aunt Daisy brought you back to the historic Hume Hotel. MJ has been working in this hotel since 1990. She is one of many of our long term staff who really set this place apart from so many other places. She is so good at what she does every single day and it keeps people like Aunt Daisy coming back. We are lucky to have her and we really appreciate your comments. I will be sure to share this with her and the rest of the Library Lounge crew.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We enjoyed our dinner at the Library restaurant at the Hume Hotel in Nelson. It was very crowded and we had to wait a while for a table but we enjoyed sitting out on the patio while we waited. The meal was very good and service was just great.