“100 Mile Burger home run!”
Review of The Library Lounge

The Library Lounge
Ranked #3 of 102 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Library Lounge is at the heart of the Hume Hotel. Located just off the front lobby, The Library has a cozy, parlour-like atmosphere with a replica of the original Hume Hotel bar (complete with brass) polished and prepped for your visit. Caryatids and original moldings decorate the interior, as does the original monumental brick hearth and fireplace that warms the room. Full restaurant meal service is offered, as are a selection of wines, beer and spirits to complement the live jazz and other music featured nightly.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

A few weeks ago I was unable to get out, & ordered from the local Hume Hotel from their Hume2Go menu.
I ordered one of their 100 Mile Burgers which uses products from Creston, Nelson & area. I also ordered one of their Ceasar salads to go with it.
The Burger was excellent! Cooked perfect with a touch pink inside, well dresses & the salad was fresh with dressing on the side so it wouldn't get soggy.
Wonderful!
I received a note from Ryan Martin not long ago telling me not to come to the Hume any more. That although I may practice meditation & work toward a more peaceful world, I was not to entitled to share my experience at his Restaurant. Mr. Ryan said I didn't know him. But I do. However he does not know me.
Mr. Martin mistook my frustrations about soggy salads served in the Library as the product they purchased being poor quality. What in fact had happened is the server was unable to pick it up from the back before it became wilted & soggy. (we were a couple that evening too)
It is impossible for any owner or manager to know everything going on in their business.
:ast time i was in the Hume an excellent waiter gave me a Trip Advisor card to say how great the service & food was that day. Mr. Martin, your hotel is a local treasure. Many locals love it. Many locals seldom travel.
It's not your fault that things happen. But your response to me and my expereinces could use some ... less personal accusations. Seldom have I been alone when eating at the Hume. the thing is people are reluctant to mention anything. And .. i certainly can see why.
"A+" for the 100 mile burger whoever was in the kitchen that night! I always show my appreciation to the staff.

Ryan M, General Manager at The Library Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

PaintonLily, you don't know how relieved I was to see such a favorable review from you. Thank you so much - I will be sure to share this for the whole kitchen to read. I know that it was the 100 Mile burger that was the issue in your first review so I'm glad that we have been able to deliver up one that was more than satisfactory... Very much appreciated!

The reason that we didn't want to deliver to your house anymore was due to the fact that you slammed us not once, but twice (1 out of 5 each time) in a very short time frame (9 months apart). I can fully accept that you didn't like your meal the first time but to come back so soon and give us such a low score again I feel is not right, especially coming from a local. You could have called and I would have done my best to make it right. You also personally criticized me in your first review. I felt as though your second slam was unfair and way a reviewer can get 'the last word' in. I probably took it a little too personally and for this I apologize.

I did, however, dispute your second review and Tripadvisor must have agreed because I see that they removed it. Or perhaps you removed it yourself, I'm not positive. I contacted you directly so that we can discuss the issues, but I didn't hear back from you. I obviously care if a person thinks the Hume isn't providing food up to standards and thought it would be a good way to get the feedback rather than through this online forum. While we don't know each other personally, I do see you around in the community but I fully respect that you haven't wanted to discuss it with me.

Seeing your review today was the highlight of my day. Thank You...

Ryan

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The service was great and responsive and friendly!

The menu selection carried a good variety, both in the adult and children's menu.

The ambience could use some refreshing as although in a beautiful heritage building, it feels more 'old' due to a lack of care/investment than it feels 'antique' by design/intention.

I had the prime rib. It was ok, but nothing to get excited about.
Portion size was generous.
Presentation was ok.
Quality was average.
Preparation was average.
Price seemed acceptable if not slightly on the high side.

More a lunch restaurant than a dinner restaurant I would guess.

Great people, average food and atmosphere.

You gotta love Tripadvisor. Your review of our Prime Rib was:
" It was ok, but nothing to get excited about. "

The person before you reviewed the Prime Rib and said:
"...one of the best dinners that a person can have in western Canada. If Canada had the death penalty and I had to choose a last meal, this plate would be one on my short list. One of the best places to take your family. "

It's funny how the same meal a week apart can be perceived so differently from two people.

Thanks for giving us a try. For the record, we reinvest a lot of money every year into keeping things clean, looking fresh and operating smoothly here in this historic hotel. It is actually mind boggling how much it is to maintain and keep shining. You could extend that to the amount of maintenance we do outside on the sidewalks and on our building in an attempt to provide some curb appeal and character to the community. I'm sorry that you felt there was a "lack of care" going on here. You are way off the mark on this one.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The prime rib dinner is one of the best I've ever had anywhere. I can honestly say this is one of the finer meals you can have in Nelson. The staff is really a great group of down to earth people from the servers to the chefs. I think some people leaving reviews on here have to know its not possible to please everyone. The rare times something wasn't done right for me the staff fixed it promptly. Last time we dined my wife and I took her parents for their 30th anniversary. My father inlaw and I both had the prime rib 12oz heritage cut with Yorkshire pudding, vegetables and baked potatoes. This meal is in my opinion one of the best dinners that a person can have in western Canada. If Canada had the death penalty and I had to choose a last meal, this plate would be one on my short list. One of the best places to take your family.

Ryan M, General Manager at The Library Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

The Prime Rib has been a traditional weekend special for decades. It is easily the most popular entree on weekends...We are so happy to hear how much you and your family loved it. The best part of your review was when you said that if you were on death row and had to choose one meal, it would be on your shortlist. That must be a good meal. We had a chuckle over that. Thanks for the kind words.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Being a long time resident of Nelson, I would absolutely recommend the Hume for both lunch and dinner meals. The food is delicious ( fairly large portions) and the service is always great... You can never go wrong eating here. Just had a wonderful lunch and dinner there last week. The building itself (Heritage) also makes for a very enjoyable evening, even to just go and have a glass of wine.

Thanks for saying so Nora T...we appreciate it when you eat here. Thanks so much for this glowing review and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Wonderful experience.
Good menu selection.
Food was superb.
Great decor in historic hotel
Polite & knowledgeable staff.
Plan to eat there again when visiting Nelson

1  Thank John E

Your review was concise.
And it was beautiful.
It reminded me of a poem.
Thank you for that.