“Excellent Heritage Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
South Slocan, BC
“Excellent Heritage Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

My stay at the Hume Hotel this past April (2011) was amazing! As always, the staff was kind and courteous and the room itself was impeccable. It's always a pleasure to stay in a hotel as lovely as the Hume. I highly recommend it to anyone travelling to Nelson, as you are sure to enjoy the unique character of the property, the great on-site amenities and the wonderful decor, including vintage photographs of the Nelson area from years' past.
Definitely a must!

Room Tip: Room 333 is an awesome executive suite with three beds, a full bath and plenty of room for leisure.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Westport, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

Just loved the hotel. It's something from an older area. We had a great room with a bit of a river view. The staff were welcoming and fun. The food was also excellent and you couldn't beat the atmosphere. Would love to go back and stay longer. Nelson is a great little town and so much to do there, even if it's just checking out the buildings.

Room Tip: the guide book says don't get a room above the kichen vents.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

My husband and I were traveling with another couple and decided to spend the night in Nelson. I had read some reviews here and suggested we all stay at the Hume. We arrived with no reservation in the early afternoon. The parking lot is very small but there were two spots left! We went to the desk and it seemed so busy inside I was losing hope that we would get rooms. Not only did we get 2 rooms, they made sure we got great rooms, on the 4th floor, away from any noise we may encounter from the bar below! It is an old hotel, refurbished and it is so nice! Very clean rooms at a reasonable price. The whole staff is so nice and friendly from the front desk to the waitress in the Library, and the waitress in the morning for breakfast (which is included with your room, very good too)! We will definitely stay there again next time!
Almost forgot, they gave us a beautiful, hardbound book on British Columbia! Thank you Hume Hotel!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alwaysajourney_10
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
I just wanted to thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the book on some of British Columbia's treasures. We were cleaning the office and came across a few of those so it's nice to know that they are going to a good home. We hope to see you again with us in the future.
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

This has been our go to hotel for quite a while. It is a very sympathetically up-dated period hotel located just one block of Baker Street which is the main shoping area. The staff are super friendly, the food good, and the included breakfast is amazing. There is a wide range of places within the hotel to spend time without having to leave the hotel. A game of pool, a glass of wine, listen to some laid back jazz, kick up your heels and dance, have a lovely dinner or a quick lunch - it is all under one roof.

Room Tip: The Rapunzel room is the best - top corner with two double beds and lots of room.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank janecoad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

Spectacular service, 5 stars, second to none. And the very best hotel I stayed on my three weeks on the road. Ryan and his staff treated my friend and I like we were regulars. Plans are now changed for the 2012 road trip. If you are looking for me, Ill be at The Hume!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Johnnybigbrand
Carbondale, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I like to stay in old hotels and inns that have been nicely maintained or (as in the case of the Hume Hotel) restored and upgraded. This one is exceptionally well restored and is a good value in price.

The restaurant and bar /lounge areas that occupy the ground floor are particularly ornate restorations, with beautiful woodwork, tapestries, and antiques. Breakfast is included in the room rate, is served at individual tables in the restaurant, and includes a choice of several hot breakfast meals that are not particularly unusual, but are prepared to order and are entirely ample. The staff is friendly and accomodating.

The rooms are less ornate, but are very clean, furnished with attractive antique furniture in good condition and attractive wall hangings, and have clean, modern bathrooms.

I have only two reservations. One is that the parking lot owned by the hotel, which is adjacent to it and offers free parking for guests, is much too small. Most guests must either park on the street for free at night and move by 9 AM, or park in a municipally owned garage nearby for a modest fee.

The other is that the rooms are not air conditioned (although the common areas on the ground floor are). We were initially assigned a room above "Mike's Pub," which is an apparently popular bar on the ground level. It was closed on the Sunday and Monday nights that we stayed there, but (unlike the more sedate lounge that was open) could probably be noisy and make sleeping difficult with windows open. Just looking in to it, however, it appeared to be a fairly upscale place, and not a honkytonk.

The room that we were given instead faced west, overlooking the parking lot, and became uncomfortably hot from the afternoon sun. A fan on a floor stand was provided, which we directed out the window to provide some air exchange. The problem then was that the incoming air was from above the exhaust of the kitchen, with the result that the room filled with cooking odors (particularly of steak, which was not entirely bad but a bit too strong to be enjoyable). Having to keep the windows open to keep the room reasonably cool also admitted noise from the street and parking lot (which held several motorcycles owned by guests whose egos apparently required making loud noise).

In conclusion, it is a great old hotel with a lot of genuine character, and deserves the patronage of people who appreciate such things, but it would be best to stay there on other than hot days in summer. That is unfortunate, because Nelson is an interesting and beautiful small city to visit in summer.

Room Tip: Avoid west facing rooms on hot days in summer.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Roberts Creek, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,348 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed at "the Hume" while on my way to a family reunion in Creston and I thouroughly enjoyed my stay here. This is an old piece of history located right in the d/t core area of Nelson. My room was very large, had no air conditioning, which was fine since there was a ceiling fan and second free-standing fan (which I didn't need to use) in my room. My room had a small fridge that was handy for keeping my Okanagan-purchased fruit nice and cold for a night-time snack. I was enoying a cold beer in the lounge on the main level after my long day's drive when I saw another patron enjoying a pizza... ("Harv", who loks after the sound systems @ the nearby live theatre) 'so I ordered one (along with a second beer) and it was one of the best pizzas I can remember. I slept very well in my spotlessly clean room and left early, even before my free breakfast was getting served (yes, your room rate inclds a free breakfast too) but the front desk receptionist insisted I take a cofee with me when I explained I was going to do some early morning sightseeing before catching the first ferry crossing of the morning. Is this hotel old? - you bet. Do the floors squeak? (see the first answer) and did my room floor slope? - of course it did,( but it sloped towards the bathroom so I never needed to turn on the lights to find the toilet in the middle of the night...) These are the quirky kind of accomodations my wife and I always seek out on our travels so I'm not complaining. It was centrally located within an easy stroll of many little shops, restaurants, etc. Clean room, super-friendly service, cold beer on draft (along with live easy-listening music) in the lounge and the best belt-busting pizza I've enjoyed in the longest time and I give the Hume Hotel a thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank Bruce L
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Thanks for the detailed account of your stay at the Hume. You have definately embraced all the little things that make this hotel a special place. It is unique and definately a little bit different from all the other 'cookie-cutter' corporate brands that have taken over. We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again.