“Excellent restoration of a fine old hotel (minus air conditioning).”
Review of Hume Hotel & Spa

Hume Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carbondale, Colorado
“Excellent restoration of a fine old hotel (minus air conditioning).”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I like to stay in old hotels and inns that have been nicely maintained or (as in the case of the Hume Hotel) restored and upgraded. This one is exceptionally well restored and is a good value in price.

The restaurant and bar /lounge areas that occupy the ground floor are particularly ornate restorations, with beautiful woodwork, tapestries, and antiques. Breakfast is included in the room rate, is served at individual tables in the restaurant, and includes a choice of several hot breakfast meals that are not particularly unusual, but are prepared to order and are entirely ample. The staff is friendly and accomodating.

The rooms are less ornate, but are very clean, furnished with attractive antique furniture in good condition and attractive wall hangings, and have clean, modern bathrooms.

I have only two reservations. One is that the parking lot owned by the hotel, which is adjacent to it and offers free parking for guests, is much too small. Most guests must either park on the street for free at night and move by 9 AM, or park in a municipally owned garage nearby for a modest fee.

The other is that the rooms are not air conditioned (although the common areas on the ground floor are). We were initially assigned a room above "Mike's Pub," which is an apparently popular bar on the ground level. It was closed on the Sunday and Monday nights that we stayed there, but (unlike the more sedate lounge that was open) could probably be noisy and make sleeping difficult with windows open. Just looking in to it, however, it appeared to be a fairly upscale place, and not a honkytonk.

The room that we were given instead faced west, overlooking the parking lot, and became uncomfortably hot from the afternoon sun. A fan on a floor stand was provided, which we directed out the window to provide some air exchange. The problem then was that the incoming air was from above the exhaust of the kitchen, with the result that the room filled with cooking odors (particularly of steak, which was not entirely bad but a bit too strong to be enjoyable). Having to keep the windows open to keep the room reasonably cool also admitted noise from the street and parking lot (which held several motorcycles owned by guests whose egos apparently required making loud noise).

In conclusion, it is a great old hotel with a lot of genuine character, and deserves the patronage of people who appreciate such things, but it would be best to stay there on other than hot days in summer. That is unfortunate, because Nelson is an interesting and beautiful small city to visit in summer.

Room Tip: Avoid west facing rooms on hot days in summer.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Roberts Creek, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,354 helpful votes
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed at "the Hume" while on my way to a family reunion in Creston and I thouroughly enjoyed my stay here. This is an old piece of history located right in the d/t core area of Nelson. My room was very large, had no air conditioning, which was fine since there was a ceiling fan and second free-standing fan (which I didn't need to use) in my room. My room had a small fridge that was handy for keeping my Okanagan-purchased fruit nice and cold for a night-time snack. I was enoying a cold beer in the lounge on the main level after my long day's drive when I saw another patron enjoying a pizza... ("Harv", who loks after the sound systems @ the nearby live theatre) 'so I ordered one (along with a second beer) and it was one of the best pizzas I can remember. I slept very well in my spotlessly clean room and left early, even before my free breakfast was getting served (yes, your room rate inclds a free breakfast too) but the front desk receptionist insisted I take a cofee with me when I explained I was going to do some early morning sightseeing before catching the first ferry crossing of the morning. Is this hotel old? - you bet. Do the floors squeak? (see the first answer) and did my room floor slope? - of course it did,( but it sloped towards the bathroom so I never needed to turn on the lights to find the toilet in the middle of the night...) These are the quirky kind of accomodations my wife and I always seek out on our travels so I'm not complaining. It was centrally located within an easy stroll of many little shops, restaurants, etc. Clean room, super-friendly service, cold beer on draft (along with live easy-listening music) in the lounge and the best belt-busting pizza I've enjoyed in the longest time and I give the Hume Hotel a thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank Bruce L
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Thanks for the detailed account of your stay at the Hume. You have definately embraced all the little things that make this hotel a special place. It is unique and definately a little bit different from all the other 'cookie-cutter' corporate brands that have taken over. We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I was there on bizz and its an awsome place the hume hotel .and if iam in the area its the only place I will stay at .

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I have been a frequent guest at the Hume hotel for the last 6 years and have not been dissapointed to date. The food is good and the breakfasts that are included are filling and hearty. Most rooms have a great view and the staff is very friendly. I really like the old historic feel and the 19th century ambience. This is a very neat old building that Im sure has lots of stories.
I make about 3 trips per year and each stay is as comforting as the last. I would recommend this hotel with a few heads up. All rooms are very spacious and are well appointed but there is no A/C but all rooms have fans. If the club is open then the subwoofer may pose an annoyance to some and rooms 333 and 336 are interesting to say the least.
All in all this is an excellent hotel and I would recommend it to anyone and I have.

C.B.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Edmonton
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hume for 8 nights. Before booking I checked TripAdvisor for reviews and speaking for my husband and I it lived up to it's high rating. It is a period property, so there maybe are not as many "bells and whistles" as some modern hotels (e.g. hair dryers, coffee makers, etc). I always bring my owner hair dryer so didn't miss having one in the hotel. There is street noise for sure (until about 10 p.m. - then the city shuts down). We had solid sleeps on the bed and the room we had was massive. It was like two bedrooms with a connecting bathroom, wonderful. Anything that wasn't in the room, the hotel staff gladly accomodated us with. The staff are geniuinely friendly and they do wonderful work. The prpperty is spotless. The comp breakfast menu was best I've ever had. Although there were only 4 selections, the food was hot, fresh and homemade!

We will definitely stay here again, should we visit Nelson again. We loved the city and surrounding area. Very laid back, friendly with lots of activity and beautiful peaceful beaches.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. It appears as though you have really embraced the unique character of the hotel and have enjoyed what makes us different from every other hotel that one can stay at. It is certainly clean and the staff are always amazing. If there are amenities that aren't in the room, we will gladly accommodate anyone's needs by providing it for them upon request.

Thanks for staying and we hope to see you soon.
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Hume on our summer holiday and had a great experience. The rooms are clean and nice and all of the places to eat and drink in the hotel are fantastic. Mikes Pub is our favourite and the best pizza we had in Nelson.

Room Tip: My computer isnot letting me check off one box below. My answer is excellent for all of the points e...
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Our stay at the Hume was wonderful! The hospitality was the best I have ever known. Everyone there from the kitchen staff to the fromt desk and everyone in between had treated us very well. The staff (and I mean all the staff) were accommodating, smiling, bubbley, happy and gracious. The acutally seemed to like their job, and never once did I feel like we were a bother to them, as we had made a few minor requests of them. Each and everyone of them should be very proud of themselves. You .....the hotel have great people working for you.
Actually this is the first time I have ever been to Nelson and I was impressed of the city as a whole. The city is beautiful and the merchants were wonderful as well. My overall experience there was a great one
I have already spoken to several of my friends about my visit to Nelson and they all have heard the same ( from other people whom have visited) about Nelson. So I will be back to Nelson.....and I will stay at the Hume Hotel again!
Thank-you
Rita Leslie-Royle.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was beautiful, clean and spacious with a whole lot of character. We loved it!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
Thanks for your positive feedback about our staff. They are indeed our greatest asset. I will be sure to post your comments for all to read. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again.