“Clean room, but dated, soiled hall carpets”
Review of Hume Hotel & Spa

Hume Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I always use Tripadvisor to find hotels, but I was disappointed by the Hume Hotel rating and it's overall shape. The room was VERY clean, but the hall to get to the room was spongy, old carpet with an odor. It definitely takes away from the room. I'm hoping this part of this historic hotel is due for the next update.The Library was great for playing cards, late dessert and live Jazz, but wouldn't be able to take children (and there is no space or table to play in the room). The restaurant food was very good. Unfortunately the kitchen fan exhaust was below our room and made our room smell like steak (not a bad smell, but unwanted for hours). Very limited parking. Hotel room with 2Q was $129 (not including tax). The best was the beautifully restored Library Bar and helpful staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I visited Nelson for a two night stay and picked the Hume Hotel for it's central location. We were aware that the hotel dates from 1898 and expected a cozy experience rather than upscale. Our room was large, clean and surprisingly quiet though a bit more on the dated side than the website pictures show.

The staff were always helpful and cheery. At the time of booking we were advised that air conditioning was not an option, but fans were provided. Thankfully we did not suffer a heat wave during our stay but we would have coped.

The parking lot is very small, but we managed to find a space both nights - though we were there on a Monday-Tuesday (don't know how this would be on a weekend). We enjoyed the breakfast both days, sampling poached eggs, bacon and toast, the omelette and the continental breakfast with pastry. The coffee was hot and tasty, eggs were done to perfection and the fruit salad was fresh - being included in the room charge I would give it a thumbs up for value!

If our travels take us back to Nelson we would stay at the Hume again

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We decided to stay here when a local recommended it. Parking was sparse but the friendliness of the staff and the dinner and breakfast we ate there more than made up for any short-comings. We would definately return...Nelson is a great little getaway for us.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We booked this hotel based on the reviews from Trip Advisor, which usually is right on the money, but I have to say, we have been pretty disappointed in the Hume.

There is charm, but there is also need of an upgrade. I get uneven floors, but there are barely an amenities at all. The room was pretty sparse and since we were in the "Rapunzel Room" I think it is supposed to be one of the nicer rooms? Everything seemed old and tired, worn carpets, old bedding etc. The bathroom was so sparse I was honestly taken aback. It's all the little things like an ancient clock radio, no ice bucket (I couldn't even find an ice machine when I needed to ice my ankle).

Also, we were on the fourth floor and it was HOT! And the weather rained the whole time we were in town, so it's not like it was hot outside, it gelt more like we were next to the boiler room or something. Contrary to a response from a manager in another post, we were not told there was no AC.

I went for a run by the lake one day and one of the rooms at the Prestige was open and I saw a lovely redone room, fluffy bed, so there are some nicer hotels to stay in.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LSinLA
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Being a heritage hotel means that we lack some of the conveniences that a brand new property might have. Our hallways are wide and the floorboards creak and they are indeed not level...however that is why a lot of people choose to stay here. Original floorboards give the property unique character. We are simply not a cookie cutter property that you would see anywhere. Our rates also need to be factored into any comparisons made to other properties in town. We are extremely reasonably priced (especially in the busy summer season) and include a full hot breakfast in the morning. We hope that this can help to make up for the fact that our guest rooms are not air conditioned. We provide fans in the rooms and all the windows do open. You should have been informed of this and if you weren't informed I do apologize. We include an ice bucket in all rooms and we have an ice machine available to all of our guests. If you couldn't locate it a call to the front desk could have easily showed you the way.
The hotel has a maintenance staff of four full-time guys who are continually improving and upgrading the exterior, the public areas as well as all guest rooms. Plans to further enhance all areas of the hotel are on-going.
Thanks for giving us a try and providing us honest feedback.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We were passing through Nelson and needed a one night's stay. We opted for The Hume right downtown instead of a chain hotel/motel. The room was clean, the front desk staff pleasant and the price right. The bedroom had its charm with balcony windows that opened to a view of the street, but the uneven floors and antique furnishings seemed a bit unsettling after having stayed in an ultramodern place the night before. We had a light supper in the dining room and were very pleased with the food and service. The homemade rhubarb pie was excellent. However, the hot breakfast which was included the next morning was awful. I applaud the owners for maintaining this beautiful building and for travelers looking for something other than the usual hotel room, I would recommend The Hume. Originally the parking lot was full, but we did find a spot just after supper.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I must say that this is probably the first complaint I have seen in years that our full hot free breakfast in the morning was nothing short of fantastic. Typically at hotels, free breakfasts are either continental breakfasts (stale bagels and bad coffee) or a buffet with very limited options. Here at the Hume, our guests can order a choice of two eggs any style with choice of breakfast meat and includes hashbrowns, toast and coffee. You can also choose a lighter, healthier option or whatever the breakfast special is which changes daily. Each breakfast is made hot and fresh for every guest and nothing comes out of a pre-made buffet line. Breakfasts are also all served by our friendly service staff in the General Store Restaurant. It is quite honestly one of the greatest selling features of the property that our guests covet the most.

I am sorry that it did not meet up to your satisfaction. If you are traveling through again, please let me know and we will see to it that we get it right on your next stay. Thanks for the honest feedback.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel. There are so many good things to say; the restaurant was nice, the service was excellent, and the history was enlightening. The major issue was the noise. To be fair the staff warned me about the bar noise when I made a reservation. I was expecting loud music but not the loud obnoxious clients of the pub, who were outside yelling and screaming at the top of their lungs. I had taken a prescription drug to knock me out and the noise still woke me up. I won’t stay there again unless they tame the noise issue.

I put no parking because the lot is very small and it was full when I was there. The parking garage is a joke as you have to pay in twelve hour increments and wake up at six in the morning to get a ticket or risk being towed. Very unfriendly parking.

Room Tip: Noise, Noise, and More Noise.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank liamputt
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that you had a good experience in the restaurant and enjoyed the service and rich history this hotel has to offer. It is unfortunate, however, that you scored us so low for events going on in the street beyond our control. Nelson does have a vibrant nightlife and it is difficult for us to control the noise coming from late night socializers or even the traffic as we are on a busy corner in the heart of town. As you mentioned, you were warned that it can be noisy. Because of our downtown location, we just can't guarantee quiet and we are up front with our guests about that.

We do have quieter rooms that are on higher floors and/or face inward away from the street noise.

Thanks for staying wtih us and we do apologize that the noise kept you awake. We always appreciate honest feedback.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

great food, large portion here!!..nice bar...good staff...BUT ...rooms (2 different rooms on two different floors) had NO air conditioning ..AND woke up stuffy and felt nauseated....but all in all it was alright for a 100+ year old hotel...

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank wildone
humehotel, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2011

Thank you so much for your review of the Hume Hotel. We appreciate the feedback. With regards to the lack of air conditioning in the guest rooms, we always do mention that to our guests during the summer when booking their rooms. Being such an old building, we only have air conditioning in our common areas on the first two floors. All the windows in the guest rooms do open and we provide fans in each room which really helps to keep the temperature down. We don't have all the modern amenities of a newer property and we continually try to maintain that heritage charm you wouldn't find anywhere else. We also enjoy providing a free full hot breakfast to all overnight guests.

Thanks again for the positive review. We hope to see you again.