“Location and value teamed up here”
Review of Mountain Hound Inn

Mountain Hound Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Nelson B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Right in the heart of the shops and restaurants of downtown Nelson, this hotel is a really good value. The rooms are small but well decorated and soundproofed, unlike most hotels in this price range. There was no coffee maker, but they gave my husband a kettle to make his tea, and some mugs. The bed was comfortable and there was a fridge in the room. I wish more hotels would offer decaf, and have a recycling bin in the room, and this hotel unfortunately was like most of the rest in that regard. The town is lovely and your visit is even better when you are right there in the heart of it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was one of the less expensive places to stay in Nelson. It is located right downtown and central to almost everything. They have Free parking in a lot a couple blocks away, and while it may lack a few things in the room (coffee maker), there is a small free continental breakfast every morning. Our front desk staff was VERY helpful and informative, therrom were comfortable, but small and our stay was nice. I would highly recommend this place to travelers on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mountain Hound in May. Conveniently located downtown close to shops and restaurants. At $79 a night I would expect quite a few more touches considering. There's no coffee maker or fridge in the double rooms, which is a common amenity in even motels! (Not to mention their available in the King rooms which are the same price.) The wifi was non existent even though our room was very close to the Front Desk. When I say non existent, I mean the wifi connection never showed up! When doing renovations wouldn't a 32" tv seem reasonable? Not a 20 inch. The triple sheets and linens were not up to par. My pillowcase had numerous stains leftover after repeatedly trying to get it out. Why not just replace the pillowcase completely? The window opens which is nice but terrible view and no screen to protect from bugs! I didn't try the breakfast but I would recommend even adding yogurt as an additional option. Paying for parking unless you have a parking pass is just weird to me. Thanks for offering to put money in the meter for me but I would just rather not have to pay for parking. At times I felt it was more of a renovated hostel then a "hotel". Also, upon coming into the room I went to use the bathroom and immediately saw two huge hairs on the tub and could tell the corners had not been cleaned. Even my bed had multiple hairs when I pulled the duvet back.... and a bandaid wrapper under the heater which was very obvious. Next time I might ask for the King room but I'm not sure there will be a next time.

• Stayed: May 2013
MountainHoundInn, Manager at Mountain Hound Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

I am very sorry to hear about the cleanliness of your room! We have had a turn around in housekeeping staff and are working on getting them up to par. If you look at our other reviews we are know for our cleanliness. Apologies once again.Our king rooms have fridges because they are larger rooms and are more expensive. We are more than happy to supply any guest with a coffee maker or fridge if requested/desired.We recently had our wifi upgraded and is working GREAT!! The night you had a problem with your wifi our whole system was down (even the front desk) and was fixed the next day. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and the rest of our guests that night. Free Parking would be great and we would offer it if we could! Our location of the building doesn't allow us to have a parking lot or a substitute, therefore we are only able to offer a parking pass to a parking lot down the street. We are a small independent family run Hotel and we upgrade our rooms yearly however we can. Every year our rooms get better and better and our prices stay low! I hope you reconsider staying with us again and allowing us to show you a great experience second time around!!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

You can't complain about $90 a night right in the middle of town! Whilst the Mountain Hound may not be the prettiest of hotels, its situated right in the centre of quaint Baker Street and its clean and comfortable enough for the average traveller. The staff is friendly and helpful - the receptionist even offered to put money in our car's meter for us. The bed was comfortable and the shower pressure just perfect. The TV is a bit on the small side - about 20 inch. If you are looking for a romantic getaway it may not be the best choice, but if you want to be where the action is at a low cost then I would recommend it. Don't expect to be 'wowed', just expect value for money... and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SagMoonTravels
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We decided to stay right downtown but wouldn't stay again. Evening staff was very accommodating but we were very disappointed. Our rooms didnt get made up, no clean cups or bathroom cleaned when we returned from skiing. Two clean towels but there were 3 of us. Rooms very small, dark and no plugins in bathroom. Flat screen tv's are very, very small. My laptop is bigger! Wifi is terrible, couldn't load up some sites or it dropped out completely. Continental breakfast is very low key, ate when we left here. As I said, we wouldn't stay again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
MountainHoundInn, Manager at Mountain Hound Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Hello,
I am terribly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our Housekeeping staff is usually VERY good at keeping up with our guests needs. I will be talking to them and finding out what happened with your room as to why it wasn't taken care of. Our rooms are on the smaller side and that is why are prices are so reasonable. There is an outlet in the bathroom, it is just under the light above the sink. I can see how you could have missed it. Once again, I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Spent a night there recently. Great location, was quiet, neat and tidy, inexpensive, good beds. Staff was great especially Lilly, very friendly and helpful. A great place to ski and crash. They brew a good cup of coffee in the morning as well. Next time I go ski Whitewater this is where I will stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in December 2012 passing through the Kootneys. Great, clean, inexpensive central location right on Nelson's main street. I like that it's independently owned. Amenities are basic and our room was small, but this place offers wonderful value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple