“Good food, but Big City prices in the Kootenays”

Louie's Steakhouse and Lounge
Ranked #26 of 97 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A distinctly metropolitan culinary experience, in historic Nelson's bustling downtown. Whether it's an intimate evening for two, or a casual gathering amongst friends, Louie's is sure to provide an experience you won't soon forget.Specializing in signature steaks, specialty pastas, rustic thin crust pizza, and FRESH seafood, Louie's Steakhouse offers the finest quality food, and exemplary service in an area of abundant comfort.Executive Chef Adam Duff has created a dining experience focusing on regional products, and in season ingredients. We off only the finest cuts of premium aged beef, along with a menu featuring a diverse selection of appetizers, entrees and accompaniments that is sure to tantalize the most refined of palates.Our liquid chefs have created an impeccable cast of martinis -- 28 in all, and an impressive selection of signaure cocktails. Our extensive wine list focuses on wines from the region, with a bit of international flair. Not to mention award-winning Nelson Brewing Company lagers and ales on tap, and fine premium spirits.
Richmond, Canada
“Good food, but Big City prices in the Kootenays”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We shared the crab cake to start (delicious), and then each had a steak. My rib-eye was perfectly cooked and completely edible, but my husband's New York steak had a wide streak of inedible fat-and-connective tissue, which was disappointing, considering the steak prices and the restaurant's claims of quality. (He should have complained about that, but he wouldn't - too British.) Our waiter was pretty good, but tried too hard to be witty and clever, and was a bit slow once other tables started filling up.

We were more than a little surprised - though obviously not put off - by the prices. The least expensive appetizer was $8.00, and they have the cheek to charge $4.25 for a potato croquette instead of garlic mash, with your steak dinner. You're also invited to "enhance" your steak" with such things as a slab of gorgonzola ($7.00 for a bit of cheese), a side of mac and cheese ($8.00!!), or a $5.00 pot of peppercorn sauce, among others.

The prices are high, but that's really only an issue when the quality of the food brings down the perceived value-per-dollar. Were it not for the disappointing quality of the one steak we ordered, I would give this place five stars. Most of the food was really good, there was a good selection of wine, and the service was good, if somewhat self-conscious.

• Visited September 2013

“Excellent restaurant in an historic hotel”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Louie's is part of the Grand Hotel in Nelson, built in 1913. The setting is compatible with the hotel; quiet and very nicely designed. I had a New York peppercorn steak that was excellent, while my wife thoroughly enjoyed salmon. Service was excellent and we'll definitely return, each time we're in Nelson.

• Visited October 2013
Edmonton
“Comfort food can't be better than this”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Don't let the fact that this restaurant is in a hotel mislead you into thinking the food might be mediocre... it's not.

Louie's is clean and tastefully decorated. The lighting is subdued enough to add an atmosphere of intimacy. My dining partner insists you can tell a great deal about the kitchen by the way a restaurant maintains its restrooms. If that's true, then the kitchen must be shipshape! The restrooms are spotless with extra touches like hand towels, soaps and hair spray.

We were promptly seated and staff were friendly, polite and attentive. Since it was supper, we chose a full meal. We shared an appetizer of Yorkshire pudding stuffed with thinly sliced roast beef. There was a mild horseradish cream, as well as a generous bowl of au jus. Our first impression was the enormous size of this appetizer... don't try to eat the whole thing, and then dinner... we were almost full after the appetizer.

For our mains, I ordered the beef short rib (a Chef Speciality), and my partner ordered the buttermilk fried chicken. The portion of rib was enormous, cooked to fork-tender, and very lean. The demi-glace had just the right sweetness and acidity to balance the protein. The side veggies were obviously sourced locally, and were delicious. Beets, broccolini, carrots and mashed potatoes. Because I had eaten my share of the appetizer, I was unable to clear my plate, and carried a good section of rib home.

My partner ordered the chicken, which was served with maple butter, waffles and grilled watermelon. The chicken's coating was crispy and delicious, while the chicken was most and perfectly cooked.

We could not possibly have eaten dessert.

Louie's takes dishes that might be considered "comfort foods" and dials them up a notch. They still taste familiar, but they have a little something extra to elevate them into fine dining. Our meal was satisfactory in every way.

The total price (with tax) was $109. This included 2 pre-dinner cocktais, 2 glasses of wine, 1 appetizer and 2 entrees.

Visited September 2013
Castlegar, British Columbia, Canada
“My fav. place to eat in Nelson”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Absolutely THE best place to eat steak in the West Kootenay. Best experience for me this summer was the inclusion of classic "Steak Frites" on the specials menu in July - tastiest steak, best fries, mayonnaise and mustard - perfection on a plate.

• Visited July 2013
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
“Stinky place”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went there with my family when we were on holidays. Should have known it was going to be a non enjoyable experience by the smell in the place. It smelled like crab and lobster juice had been sprayed all over the floor which it probably had and never been cleaned. It was a thick sickening smell that clung to the back of your throat. Everything was so over priced that we settled for what amounted to appetizers as the menu listed everything as an add on to everything else at an extra exorbitant cost. We don't mind eating in an expensive restaurant once in awhile because you usually get what you pay for: excellent service and great food. Not having every last little thing cost you an extra 10-20 dollars. The burger places and pubs we ate at there were by far the better places in almost every way. This place is a small town eatery trying to be a big city joint and trying to justify it by charging way too much money.

• Visited September 2013
Rob_Little, General Manager at Louie's Steakhouse and Lounge, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Dax L,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I must say that I was quite taken back by your review and feel the need to respond to some of your comments. Firstly, during your visit we were running a steak and crab special, of which almost everyone in the restaurant on every day was ordering due to the extremely low price of $19.95 for a half pound of crab and a new york steak. We actually went through over 400 lbs of crab for the month of August. This would attribute to the smell of crab throughout the restaurant, and is something that we cannot control. It certainly has absolutely nothing to do with cleanliness, and I can assure you that you would be hard pressed to find a restaurant with higher cleanliness standards anywhere in the province. In fact, if you doubt this, please do not hesitate to view our exemplary review from our last health inspection online at Interior Health's website. Our carpets and hardwood floors are cleaned every night by a professional cleaning team, and our staff are diligent about ensuring that every last detail is attended to. Secondly, as far as price point go, I'm very confused by your comment that you needed to add everything on. We do not have anything on our menu that requires you to add onto the original price. For example: The braised short rib at $29 comes with a starch and seasonal vegetables. And the same goes for all menu items except for pizzas and pasta dishes. You do, of course have the option to add mushrooms, prawns, and other items to this as an enhancement, however, your comment suggests that we are an "a la carte service" which is not the case. Please review our menu on this site if you still disagree. Also, there is not a single add on on our menu, with the exception of a lobster tail and scallops, that is $10 - $20 as you state (again, please see menu posted on this site). Finally, your comment about us being a small town eatery trying to be a big city joint. Well, all I can say is that I'm sorry you feel this way. We do everything to embrace Nelson, including being locally owned, supporting local business, buying our products locally whenever possible, and being one of the busiest restaurants in the city, the majority of our business comes from locals. Our entree prices start at $16.50 and go as high as $44.00, so there is something for everyone, and our portions are quite substantial. You are only the second person to rate us 2 out of 5, and as you can see, we take these comments very seriously. I sincerely hope we do get the opportunity to serve you again, and change your views of our establishment, however, if not, we do thank you for taking the time to rate us non the less. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly anytime should you wish to further discuss this review.