“Why all the Positive Reviews?”

Jackson's Hole & Grill
Ranked #4 of 97 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Victoria, Canada
“Why all the Positive Reviews?”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

A friend and I were visiting in Nelson and came here based on a recommendation from a local waitress at another bar, so we were hoping for a positive experience given that it was suggested by a local.

We sat outside as it was a nice evening but the chairs are metal with no cushions of any kind, so are not very comfortable. The service was just OK with a waitress who did nothing to make the experience a good one, just provided the basics without offering any menu suggestions or adding any personality. I ordered the fish tacos and my friend ordered what was supposed to be a spicy dish but the spice was provided by Frank's Hot Sauce, not exactly creative. The fish tacos were possibly the worst I have had anywhere. Deep fried fish with an unimaginative coleslaw in an over toasted shell with plain, out-of-a-bag tortilla chips on the side.
Looking now at Trip Advisor and Urban Spoon I see lots of positive reviews, which surprises me, because based on my experience I wouldn't go back.

• Visited August 2013
CJManager, Owner at Jackson's Hole & Grill, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I read your review of our restaurant, and decided to give myself some time before I responded to your comments. This review represents only how your experience felt, and given the chance, I would like to think we could have easily corrected any and all of your dissatisfactions.

First off, our patio chairs are metal, you are correct. However, because we have no awning in order to allow for more natural lighting within our building, ( we took the old one down 8 yrs ago ) our patio furniture is subject to the many frequent rain showers that we get in Nelson throughout the summer. This allows us to quickly wipe the chairs and resume use almost immediately after the rain. If you felt uncomfortable, we have another 130 seats inside, 36 of which have a very soft cushioned seat and back, we would have been happy to move you.

As for you food selections, if what you ordered was not up to your expectations, or was improperly prepared, we would have immediately given you the option to try something else, or fixed whatever was necessary. After nearly 25 years in the food and beverage business, the one thing that has remained constant, is that we can only help those customers with problems or concerns when they are brought to our attention. Unfortunately, reading your message here days later, does no good for your dining experience, or for our ability to prove to you why we receive "all the positive reviews"

Winnipeg
“Everything was awesome!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We did no research - just found this patio downtown Nelson and decided to try it. The staff were superb, the food was very delicious (noodle bowl - the best!), the dessert (cobbler of some type), the patio, the weather - ALL was so enjoyable! We enjoyed it so much, we returned a second night. I don't know what it would be like if you ate inside but outdoors it was a winner!

Calgary
“Dependably Good”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

After our 6th summer at the cottage in Nelson, our family has come to depend on Jackson Hole as our go-to spot when the meal needs to be more than a gamble.
Jackson Hole is not fancy, but it's cool and sophisticated amidst all these hippies, vegetarians and 100 Mile Diet folks.
We love the nachos (huge) and the onion rings as a starter for the table.
My favourite is the salmon burger - fresh and delicious tasting. I've been tempted to try the veggie burger as it sounds delicious - except for the strange addition of cinnamon, which the lovely server verified is the dominant flavour.
The fries are EXCELLENT.
Club sandwich, ceasar wrap and burgers were all very good too. Everything is very fresh.
We count on it as part of our summer experience and we will be back.

• Visited August 2013
Thank you for your review of our restaurant, it is nice to hear that we have become a part of your summertime tradition here in the beautiful Nelson area. We look forward to seeing and serving your family in the near future.
Kelowna, Canada
“An Endurance Event”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I joined some friends at Jackson's Hole for drinks having just completed the Nelson Triathlon. We sat outside on the deck with a slightly standoffish server taking our drinks order. Despite the moderately unfriendly nature of the service most of the drinks arrived ok, apart from one which was brought over incorrectly. However, the promised glasses of water failed to arrive, the excuse given being that 'It's super busy inside'. It wasn't; unless their usual clientele usually only number in the tens. The remainder of our visit was uneventful apart from two of our group almost being decapitated by a rogue sun shade, picked up mercilessly by a strong gust of wind from the table next to us. The servers made short work of removing the remaining shades on the patio, either to avoid lawsuits or having to mop up body parts or both.

Despite the so so service we somehow ended up here for dinner too. We arrived shortly after 7:15pm and the restaurant population was somewhat average, various empty tables and the bar / restaurant next door was not too busy either. We ordered drinks, which arrives promptly, other than one glass of wine which failed to materialise for 20 minutes despite much prompting to various servers and another drink which arrived incorrectly made.

Service was glacially slow, giving me the title for this review. Earlier that day I completed a 1.5km swim, a 40km bike ride and a 10km run through the hills of Nelson in less time than it took for us to have a meal here. In fact, I had completed the swim and bike in the time it took for our food to arrive.

The food itself was standard pub fare really. Horrifically overpriced by global standards, as much of the food from over aspiring restaurants in BC seems to be. I try to choose meal options to suit the venue, in the hope that they will be more acquainted with its preparation. Jackson's Hole seemed to be a ribs and chicken kind of place, so that's what I ordered. The menu should really have called it 'Kate Moss Ribs and Chicken' and both seemed to have been scythed from the 'party yourself slim' supermodel. The ribs clung desperately together using a thin fabric of gristle whilst the breast lay almost apologetically on top, using a congealed blanket of sauce to cover it's under endowed size. The accompanying vegetables tried to gain popularity by standing close to the ribs and chicken, it's 'unattractive friends'. The bed of rice, on the other hand, was ok. This bleak ensemble of protein and carbs set me back an overwhelming $21. Shocking.

Multiple apologies throughout the evening of 'Really sorry, we're just so busy' would have been better suited to a venue with more than a handful of other people in it.

My wife's Enchilada was fairly terrible. Plastic tasting and soulless. Our friends seemed to fare a little better than us with comments ranging from 'Nice' to 'Too sickly' for their Ginger Beef bowl.

When the bill arrived we had been overcharged by a couple of dollars due to an incorrect drink being rung through.

1 Thank JayPeeWhy
CJManager, Owner at Jackson's Hole & Grill, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
I must say, while I was reading your review I had a number of mixed emotions. Initially, I felt as though we must have totally dropped the ball with this individual(s), and owe them, at the very least an apology, and hopefully present them with an opportunity for us to prove to them, that we operate on a much higher level than what he has described.

Then I continued to read the creative writing piece, which was meant as a restaurant review.

Allow me to personally apologize for the sudden gust of wind that "almost decapitated" several members of your group, that would definitely have been a first here, after over 8 successful years in operation. Not really a fault of anyone in your group, or for that matter, in our operation, but it makes for great reading when it is described as you have put it!

You then chose to mention your personal accomplishments in the Triathlon on that day, congratulations, it looks as though you were second best in you age group for the event, well done. I can personally assure you that we pride ourselves on friendly, time sensitive , and accurate service, all in under 2:11:23, which I believe was your finishing time. If on this occasion we failed to provide 1, any, or all of the above, I do sincerely apologize for that, clearly we had a bad day at the races.

Next, you complained about the pricing structure. In fact you described it as, "horrifically overpriced by global standards", if Appy's starting at $8, homemade sandwiches and burgers at $11, and Entrees starting from $18 fits your above description, then we are guilty as charged.

Lastly, I will not apologize to you again because it was busy. We chose to be in this business, and should be ready and able to accommodate large groups, with or without reservations, at any time during the day. I will however, assure you that on that particular day, regardless of your visual scan of the seating plan, we were exceptionally busy at certain periods of time. As far as your overcharge, please contact me directly, I know you know how, and I will personally make sure you refunded the correct amount.

If you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to call me directly @ 250-354-1919. I would be happy to here from you, we are always striving to find new ways to make our business more successful and more enjoyable for our guests.
Nelson, B.C.
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The service was efficient and friendly. The portion size is generous and everyone enjoyed their meals (4 of us). Pleasant atmosphere.

Visited July 2013
Thank you for taking your time to share your review with others. I am glad to hear everyone enjoyed their visit to Jackson's Hole & Grill, we look forward to seeing you again soon.