“An Endurance Event” 2 of 5 bubbles

Jackson's Hole & Grill
Ranked #4 of 94 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kelowna, Canada
“An Endurance Event”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I joined some friends at Jackson's Hole for drinks having just completed the Nelson Triathlon. We sat outside on the deck with a slightly standoffish server taking our drinks order. Despite the moderately unfriendly nature of the service most of the drinks arrived ok, apart from one which was brought over incorrectly. However, the promised glasses of water failed to arrive, the excuse given being that 'It's super busy inside'. It wasn't; unless their usual clientele usually only number in the tens. The remainder of our visit was uneventful apart from two of our group almost being decapitated by a rogue sun shade, picked up mercilessly by a strong gust of wind from the table next to us. The servers made short work of removing the remaining shades on the patio, either to avoid lawsuits or having to mop up body parts or both.

Despite the so so service we somehow ended up here for dinner too. We arrived shortly after 7:15pm and the restaurant population was somewhat average, various empty tables and the bar / restaurant next door was not too busy either. We ordered drinks, which arrives promptly, other than one glass of wine which failed to materialise for 20 minutes despite much prompting to various servers and another drink which arrived incorrectly made.

Service was glacially slow, giving me the title for this review. Earlier that day I completed a 1.5km swim, a 40km bike ride and a 10km run through the hills of Nelson in less time than it took for us to have a meal here. In fact, I had completed the swim and bike in the time it took for our food to arrive.

The food itself was standard pub fare really. Horrifically overpriced by global standards, as much of the food from over aspiring restaurants in BC seems to be. I try to choose meal options to suit the venue, in the hope that they will be more acquainted with its preparation. Jackson's Hole seemed to be a ribs and chicken kind of place, so that's what I ordered. The menu should really have called it 'Kate Moss Ribs and Chicken' and both seemed to have been scythed from the 'party yourself slim' supermodel. The ribs clung desperately together using a thin fabric of gristle whilst the breast lay almost apologetically on top, using a congealed blanket of sauce to cover it's under endowed size. The accompanying vegetables tried to gain popularity by standing close to the ribs and chicken, it's 'unattractive friends'. The bed of rice, on the other hand, was ok. This bleak ensemble of protein and carbs set me back an overwhelming $21. Shocking.

Multiple apologies throughout the evening of 'Really sorry, we're just so busy' would have been better suited to a venue with more than a handful of other people in it.

My wife's Enchilada was fairly terrible. Plastic tasting and soulless. Our friends seemed to fare a little better than us with comments ranging from 'Nice' to 'Too sickly' for their Ginger Beef bowl.

When the bill arrived we had been overcharged by a couple of dollars due to an incorrect drink being rung through.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JayPeeWhy
CJManager, Owner at Jackson's Hole & Grill, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
I must say, while I was reading your review I had a number of mixed emotions. Initially, I felt as though we must have totally dropped the ball with this individual(s), and owe them, at the very least an apology, and hopefully present them with an opportunity for us to prove to them, that we operate on a much higher level than what he has described.

Then I continued to read the creative writing piece, which was meant as a restaurant review.

Allow me to personally apologize for the sudden gust of wind that "almost decapitated" several members of your group, that would definitely have been a first here, after over 8 successful years in operation. Not really a fault of anyone in your group, or for that matter, in our operation, but it makes for great reading when it is described as you have put it!

You then chose to mention your personal accomplishments in the Triathlon on that day, congratulations, it looks as though you were second best in you age group for the event, well done. I can personally assure you that we pride ourselves on friendly, time sensitive , and accurate service, all in under 2:11:23, which I believe was your finishing time. If on this occasion we failed to provide 1, any, or all of the above, I do sincerely apologize for that, clearly we had a bad day at the races.

Next, you complained about the pricing structure. In fact you described it as, "horrifically overpriced by global standards", if Appy's starting at $8, homemade sandwiches and burgers at $11, and Entrees starting from $18 fits your above description, then we are guilty as charged.

Lastly, I will not apologize to you again because it was busy. We chose to be in this business, and should be ready and able to accommodate large groups, with or without reservations, at any time during the day. I will however, assure you that on that particular day, regardless of your visual scan of the seating plan, we were exceptionally busy at certain periods of time. As far as your overcharge, please contact me directly, I know you know how, and I will personally make sure you refunded the correct amount.

If you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to call me directly @ 250-354-1919. I would be happy to here from you, we are always striving to find new ways to make our business more successful and more enjoyable for our guests.

Nelson, B.C.
“Always a pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

The service was efficient and friendly. The portion size is generous and everyone enjoyed their meals (4 of us). Pleasant atmosphere.

Visited July 2013
Thank you for taking your time to share your review with others. I am glad to hear everyone enjoyed their visit to Jackson's Hole & Grill, we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Butte, Montana
“Expertly prepared dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Craving a healthy, flavorful dinner, I ordered the "Nirvana Bowl" and it was beyond my expectations.

Visited July 2013
Kelowna, Canada
“We had a good time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We had been dodging torrential rains in Nelson and decided finally to seek shelter and food. We'd heard a bit about Jackson's Hole and decided to give it a try. It ended up being a quite positive experience. The building itself is a terrific old heritage building (of which Nelson has many -- good on them!) redolent of history and period atmosphere though they don't try to phony it up. We were there a bit after the regular lunch time and had no trouble getting a big horseshoe-shaped booth to ourselves. It was pub grub with a bit of imagination and a reasonable choice of both beers and wine though oddly not much on tap from the most local breweries. I had a couple of pints of Stanley Park and my wife a couple of glasses of Sumac Ridge Gewurtz. I had a loaded burger and she a quesadilla that could easily have satisfied the both of us. Total with taxes but before tip was about $55 which we thought quite reasonable. Service was friendly and prompt. Towards the end of our meal a number of young moms and their babies came in, it apparently being a planned event which we thought just a bit odd for a pub venue. Nelson doesn't lack for good places to eat but this is the best of the cities pubs we've yet visited. We'd be happy to go back again.

• Visited July 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Great food nice patio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a really nice meal here. A nice hot summer night on the patio. The beer was nice and cold and the food was fresh and very healthy. The servers were very pleasant. Highly recommended for a lovely evening.

• Visited July 2013