“Prestige is great!”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
Calgary, Canada
“Prestige is great!”
Reviewed February 25, 2007

The prestige lakeshore resort is a great hotel. Nice lobby, friendly helpful staff, nicely appointed rooms.

The restaurant leaves a little to be desired, but all in all it's a good stay.

I haven't shelled out for the lakeview rooms, just the good old parking lot for me.

Room was large, with a desk, beds, the typical amenities.

4.0 / 5.0

• Liked — Name, Location, Quality
  • Disliked — Differnt costs for different views? :(
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I researched this hotel, using Trip Advisor, saw that the reviews were not that favorable, but booked it anyway, because the pictures looked nice. Never do that! Listen to what people say. I booked the hotel online for our family of 4 at a certain rate for 2 beds and a pull-out sofa. The hotel emailed me to say that they were charging us 50 dollars more per night than quoted, because of the children, and because we requested a lakeside room. So we payed well over 200 dollars a night for a mediocre room in a noisy area above the marina. The hotel was undergoing renovations, and had rolls of carpet and equipment through the lobby, roped off sections of the hotel were under construction and everything was very dusty and dirty. The pool area was small and muggy. The restaurants were mediocre at best and we ended up eating most of our meals at the Baker Street Inn's restaurant, where we had great service, and ultimately wished we had stayed at this hotel, which is rated #1 on this site. The town was quaint and we tried not to let our disappointment with our accomodations mar our overall experience. I do not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The look of the property from the outside & the balcony in the room.
  • Disliked — The mediocrity of room, dining, pool.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book only as a last resort.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank LJAvery
Peace River, AB
Reviewed August 27, 2006

We stayed here for one night and were pleasantly suprised on check in, that our room was being upgraded at no extra charge. We had an excellant view on the third floor and enjoyed 2 plasma T.V's, a jetted tub in a beautiful bathroom and lots of other perks. Nelson has a large downtown shopping area which is only a few blocks away and a great walking trail which starts right behind the hotel. We would highly reccommend staying here if your'e in the area.

• Liked — The beautiful view
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 17, 2006

Do not forget any items of value when you check out!

At the end of my stay at Prestige Lskeside Resort in Nelson BC, I inadvertently left a lower dental partial plate in the bathroom. Upon discovery of this, I called Lakeside and explained the situation. They had found the partial and still had it. I then requested that they ship it to me and offered to pay for whatever shipping service they normally used, but they insisted that they would be happy to send it to me as part of their service.

This seemed wonderful until three weeks had passed and I still did not have my item. When I called them again, it turns out that they had simply wrapped the partial in a piece of tissue and placed it into a regular envelope and send it via regular mail. I was shocked by their nonchalant attitude toward a several hundred dollar piece of dental equipment.

At my insistence they said that they checked with the post office and with Customs, but failed to find any trace of the item.

I waited another month to see if the item might just be delayed in mailing somewhere. I did not receive it. I then called the resort and spoke with the manager about the situation, and related my displeasure at the way that they had handled my situation. I asked them, in writing, to pay for a replacement partial since they had failed to take normal care in shipping. They refused, saying that they had made a reasonable attempt to return the item. I asked a second time for them the pay for replacement of the item, and included a very detailed list of reasons why I believed that they had failed to exercise reasonable care of my item, and why placing an item of such expense in regular mail was definitely not reasonable care in shipping, and could not even be tracked. Again they refused.

Now, I am in the position of having to pay $900 US to have the partial replaced, or to consider suing the resort for the cost.

Don't forget any expensive personal items, and take good care of them while there... because the resort will NOT...

Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bonny Doon, Calif
Reviewed September 26, 2005

If you want 'new' in Nelson, this is it. A friend and I stayed here one night because she wanted a pool/hot tub, which the hotel has, but because it is enclosed it's more like a steam room. The room was nice and very spacious. Breakfast is not included. I imagine this hotel caters to small groups, that's the feeling you get. Quaint and charming it is not, but if you like a more modern, somewhat plastic ambiance with strange decor, this is a must. I say 'strange' decor because the larger rooms seem to have themes which I do not feel are well done. The location is on the water, but it's not in a nice area. There is a strip mall a block away, and you can walk to the downtown, but you wind your way past some warehouses and across the railroad tracks. My friend liked this place because it is new (she lives in a vintage house), but I am just so-so with it.

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank PatPfr
Fremont, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,676 helpful votes
Reviewed October 7, 2004

This hotel is super. We had a nice room overlooking the lake. It had a nice sitting porch on it and fun to watch the boats and the planes take off from the lake. We had a comfortable bed and a nice (big couch, coffee table and chair) sitting area. There was a refrigerator in the room and several tables. All in all quite comfortable.

We enjoyed several meals there. We shared a sandwich in their cute "muffin/coffee shop." The sandwich was quite good - and their extra large muffins looked awesome. We enjoyed a super dinner there in the dining room - the portions are HUGE!!! So it would be easy for people to split a dinner if they wanted to enjoy dinner there also save on the costs. Given that we are from California, we found the prices quite reasonable!!

We splurged and got their special deal - Champagne, chocolates, and breakfast for 2.
Made for a wonderful night! It was a large bottle of good champagne; the chocolates had a fair number of chocolates in it (very good); and breakfast again was a great deal. We had a wonderful view of the lake from our table.

It looks like the hotel can arrange for fishing trips directly from there....something to look forward to for a future trip. They had a nice room there showing more about fishing in Nelson.

The area is quite charming....Nelson is fun; the free ferry is wonderful! and there are a number of great places to visit.

We were so impressed we have it on our list of place to go back to.

(Note: If you book a room, its best to book one with lakeside view as it will include a porch. If you book one not on lakeside, you will have no porch and only a view of the parking lot. It does save you a little bit of money if you go this way.)

The other nice thing about it is that there is an excellent walking path right by the hotel and lake. Its part of the Trans Canada Trail - so you'll probably only walk a piece of it while there!

All in all - GREAT JOB. Also the people on the staff there were absolutely CHARMING and absolutely The BEST!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank mini
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 20, 2003

We've stayed in The Prestige Inn many times, always on the lake side.
It's the best location and rooms in the city. However we've found the restaurant overpriced,for average food & service. We eat in any one of dozens of great retaurants or coffe houses down town.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member