“Wonderful Christmas”
Review of Villa Motel

Villa Motel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here over the Christmas Holiday visiting our daughter. We were upgraded to an apartment to accomodate our young adult children. The rooms were a good size and clean with new bedding. They were installing new large Flat Screen TV's to many of the units during our stay. There was always someone available if we needed assistance or directions, the staff were very friendly. The views from our 2nd storey balcony were beautiful on a clear day. The overall expereince was perfect! We wouldn't hesitate to return to The Villa on our next visit.

The Afflecks'

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Hi VicTim A,

Most people will think you to be a victim. However, I can see it is a clever name for husband and wife: Vicky & Tim. Well done!

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed yourself at the Villa. We would be most happy to welcome you back when you return to Nelson, BC.

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Here is a clean and car accessible place that close enough to downtown Nelson. I would maybe add a table in the rooms only for office or computer work practicality. Otherwise, nice staff, comfortable stay, agreeable tub, and good breakfast options.

• Stayed: January 2013

Hi GuiHom!

It was wonderful being able to accommodate you and your family during their unexpectedly extended trip to Nelson, BC. Although most of our rooms do have a desk area the suite you were in did not. We have plans to remodel the space to implement one in the near future. Thank you for the feedback and I hope to impress you further on your next visit.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

After an amazing experience at The Villa Motel in Nelson. I have decided to start writing reviews of the places we stay, starting with this fantastic Motel. We stayed in room 24 which is on the ground floor, perfect for us as we have a 2yr old. There are also rooms upstairs with balconies which look great too. The location is perfect for us. Just over the orange bridge with magnificent views of the lake and mountains. The room was large and very clean. The 2 queen beds are extremely comfortable with the best quilts ever. There is a massive LG brand new tv in the room. This motel has an onsite Chinese restaurant called Amanda's which serves excellent food. They also have free breakfast which consists of tasty waffles and plenty of tea and coffee. There is also a really good indoor pool with whirlpool. The staff are very friendly and happy to help. The best part of this motel is the price. We are always traveling on a budget and to be able to come to beautiful Nelson and stay in such a great place whilst saving some money to go sightseeing is great. We stayed on the skiers/snowboarding special where if you stay 4nights you get truly amazing discounts. Yes you could be downtown and yes you could stay somewhere a lot more expensive but why bother. In our opinion Save your money for sightseeing and stay in the Motel that has it all. This is the only place we will ever stay in Nelson. It's a bargain, it's clean, it's convenient, free breakfast, spacious rooms, beautiful views, swimming pool and restaurant. What else could you ask for. Thanks, we will be back soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Wow what a wonderful review, thank you DoraTheExplorer!

I'm very delighted to hear about your satisfactory stay with us. It certainly was a pleasure to accommodate your family on their trip out to beautiful Nelson, BC. One perk in staying with us is definitely the views of the Orange bridge and driving over it on a daily basis. The bridge has one of the best viewpoints in town that people often miss on their trip to Nelson, and it is on our front door!

Come back next winter, where I hope my staff and I can dazzle your family again with more improvements that we have planned for this year.

-Frank

Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here with a hockey team in November. We had a suite (two adjoining rooms). It was actually very roomy and quite clean. The bedding was basic and the decor was ok. With a family - it is awesome to have the kids in a separate room. The pools is ok although the chlorine in the air made my eyes burn when sitting on the edge. Overall - a good budget choice for families.

• Stayed: November 2012
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Hi Jason + Family,

Thank you for staying with us with the Cranbrook Minor Hockey Team! It is great to hear you found our rooms roomy and clean. I am working on the bedding and if your team participates in the tournament next year I'd be very happy to show you what we've done in between. The pool and hot tub went through a rigorous inspection the day before your arrival so I am a bit surprised the chlorine in the hot tub irritated your eyes. On a side note, the water was completely drained and balanced during our inspection, so the facilities were very clean for your stay as is our standard. I do apologize for this inconvenience and hopefully on your next visit, this does not occur. Thank you for your comments and we would love to accommodate your family once again. Hopefully the kids had a very memorable time in Nelson and at the tournament.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I don't know how they've received ANY good reviews, because during our stay we were not the only travel group that was incredibly irritated.

We were required to pay for the rooms AT the time of check-in, at the same time they announced there would be an additional $100 "damage deposit" (not previously listed on the web; however, it is now since we complained). If you pay with a credit card, the "damage deposit" l be charged at check in and returned as late as 5 days after you check out.

We expressed our discontent with this, and the manager didn't care. He made some lame analogy to renting out an entire house and said that every hotel has this policy. We checked with other hotels-inlcluding The Marriott (the hotel they used as a reference) as well as the Chamber of Commerce; The Villa has made up this requirement on their own!

Their "contiental breakfast" is from 8am-10am and includes: waffle, toast, bagles, english muffins, coffee, lukewarm water for tea. Waffles are only available from 8am-9am- and you are limited to 1 waffle per person. So, you better bring enough money to cover the real breakfast you'll have to buy later, since they're holding your funds! (Don't forget extra spending money, if you want to do things in town!)

There aren't any dining tables in the lobby. If there are any more than 6 people in the lobby, you're standing elbow-to-elbow! One travel group was able to sit at the BBQ tables outside, but what will people do when inclimate weather comes??
It is worth mentioning that none of these hours, with special "rules" were posted; just a lone sign that said "Continental Breakfast 8am-10am".

They have a swimming pool, which is only available from noon until 9pm. These hours are not readily found either.

The rooms were satisfactory, although there were odd stains on the bathroom countertops and bathtub.

The only reason we ended up staying there was because we reserved the rooms with credit card and did not want our funds held hostage.

Next time we know, for approximately $60 more, we can have stay at a much nicer hotel, located IN town that provides a free breakfast from their restaurant menu along with exceptional service!

Will not stay here ever again! Would rather sleep in our car and buy breakfast elsewhere!

Room Tip: Another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Pandasluv2Travel
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Thank you Pandasluv2Travel for your review.

You touched a very important topic here concerning room deposits. In our efforts to maintain our rooms we follow a common practice to collect a deposit of $100.00 for cash or debit transactions. In the past we had guests who wouldn't have a valid credit card and we didn't collect a deposit. They paid in cash and stole some of the room's contents and left in the morning. The business is left with nothing to charge them. This is when we became very strict and enforced the deposit policy.

I did try to explain this to your group but nobody seemed to understand this and just laughed. I am unsure why this is funny. We always post the charges at check-in as we do not have a front desk 24/7 and some of our guests like to check out early in the morning.

If the room charges are paid by credit card we do not collect a deposit. No matter how much discontent a guest has with this policy, there isn't any room to disregard the policy. This isn't about if I care about how a guest feels. This is simply a "must-do" to protect our rooms.

If the deposit is done by credit card pre-authorization, it is completed on the morning of check-out. Although I release it from our terminal, it does take the guests' bank to release the funds and this takes up to 5 business days. This is out of our control and I am simply explaining how it works.

Most hotels do a preauthorization on a credit card with an additional incidental deposit per night upon check in. You are then left to pay by cash or debit (depending on property) and will have a completed preauthorization minus any incidentals.

I already explained the above to you when you checked in. If this troubled you this greatly I would have simply canceled your reservation and helped you find another room at a different accommodation. I am still unsure why paying a deposit would "incredibly irritate" your group.

Our Complimentary Continental Breakfast is a challenge. It is not included in the room rate and we offer this as a service to our guest. However, we do understand and acknowledge that we have some physical barriers: the most apparent is that it is hosted in our lobby.

Because of the time it takes to cook 1 waffle and the amount of people we have, we decided it would be fair to ask our guests to only cook 1 per person. In the past, we had 1 person cook 5 in a row making it a bit unfair for the other guests in line. In our efforts to serve everyone equally we have made this policy. If there is no line up and a guest returns to cook a second waffle or third waffle, we do not stop them.

Although this is a 'complimentary' breakfast, we do try our very best in offering the best we can under these limitations.

The swimming pool hours is just below the sign you read for the continental breakfast. Also it is posted in front of the swimming pool doors. I also said it to you during check-in.

You have the freedom to choose where you wish to stay on your future visits. I am glad you have opted to go elsewhere. Happy travels.

-Frank

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Villa motel is an older motel but quite clean and well kept. My wife asked for extra pillows that were supplied quite happily. Didn't try the breakfast as we were a bit unsure of the small lobby style presentation but that was our choice and not a reflection on the motel. The bath was a bit slippery but once I got the mat to stick that was fine. This motel was good value for a popular resort town in summer and perfect for us as we were traveling through.

Room Tip: Away from the highway
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Ross H,

Great to hear that your stay with us was of good value for you. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels throughout BC and hope to see you return to our popular town.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Really nicely kept motel on the far side of the orange bridge in Nelson. It was our first time visiting Nelson, and this motel was a really good option. Normally, we stay in higher end modern hotels, but this fit the bill for a single night, and we weren't disappointed.

The (king) bed was actually amazingly comfortable with soft sheets. The flat screen LCD TV's were obviously just put into the rooms, as we noticed the boxes from new TV's sitting near the front desk area outside. This was a really nice upgrade and made watching TV much better than the older models piled up outside. Shower had really good water pressure, and the air conditioning, albeit loud, was pumping out super cold air we actually had to turn it off to sleep.

Friendly family that runs the place. It must have been the son that checked us in, and he was very welcoming and suggested a number of highlights to check out. The waffles in the morning were mediocre, not great, but not bad either. Coffee a little watery, but oh well. Orange juice tasted like metal...not sure why, but needless to say, I didn't finish it. Other than the relatively poor quality of breakfast, this was a good hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Crawford15,

I am humbled by your trustworthy and honest feedback whether good or bad. It's a written pat on the back on the new touches we put in. We have a few testing rooms such as the one you have stayed in where we hope to redo all our rooms with the duvets and 42-46" plasma televisions.

Yes, I am the son that you mentioned and this is indeed a family run business. I took over the business in 2012 and we are in a transition period for this year. I hope to present many new exciting changes in our product and service offerings. I treasure these honest reviews as it gives me a deeper understanding of what our guests enjoy and want to see better. I do read all the reviews from TA and Booking.com carefully.

The complimentary continental breakfast is a tricky one to deal with. With limited space in the lobby (as we do not own a cafeteria or a restaurant to host the breakfast), it is often a challenge to balance what items are offered for free to our valued guests. In addition to our normal continental breakfast, I've installed a beloved waffle maker that I happened to meet on my travels. I'm sorry to hear that he didn't give you the great taste you were expecting. For some it is a big hit, I guess for other it is just 'alright'.

We pack in quite a bit of Maxwell House Original Roast for our breakfast coffee. We only add water into the Bunn VPS Series Coffee Maker in amounts equal to one pot of coffee. We do not add additional water after it has been brewed. I do understand it could be the brand of coffee grind. I welcome any recommendations to solve this. One idea I was juggling in my head was to offer an espresso machine at $2-$3 a shot.

The orange juice is from concentrate. It is in a tin can. Perhaps I should consider buying a different type of concentrate. Thoughts?

Please feel free to message me directly with some value conscious ideas considering the limited space available in the serving area as well as in the back. I am open to any ideas to improve our service to our guests.

Sorry for the long message. We'd love to welcome you back to the Villa on your next return trip with, hopefully, more upgrades!