“Older style but nice and clean as well as good value.”
Review of Villa Motel

Villa Motel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Villa motel is an older motel but quite clean and well kept. My wife asked for extra pillows that were supplied quite happily. Didn't try the breakfast as we were a bit unsure of the small lobby style presentation but that was our choice and not a reflection on the motel. The bath was a bit slippery but once I got the mat to stick that was fine. This motel was good value for a popular resort town in summer and perfect for us as we were traveling through.

Room Tip: Away from the highway
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Ross H,

Great to hear that your stay with us was of good value for you. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels throughout BC and hope to see you return to our popular town.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Really nicely kept motel on the far side of the orange bridge in Nelson. It was our first time visiting Nelson, and this motel was a really good option. Normally, we stay in higher end modern hotels, but this fit the bill for a single night, and we weren't disappointed.

The (king) bed was actually amazingly comfortable with soft sheets. The flat screen LCD TV's were obviously just put into the rooms, as we noticed the boxes from new TV's sitting near the front desk area outside. This was a really nice upgrade and made watching TV much better than the older models piled up outside. Shower had really good water pressure, and the air conditioning, albeit loud, was pumping out super cold air we actually had to turn it off to sleep.

Friendly family that runs the place. It must have been the son that checked us in, and he was very welcoming and suggested a number of highlights to check out. The waffles in the morning were mediocre, not great, but not bad either. Coffee a little watery, but oh well. Orange juice tasted like metal...not sure why, but needless to say, I didn't finish it. Other than the relatively poor quality of breakfast, this was a good hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Crawford15,

I am humbled by your trustworthy and honest feedback whether good or bad. It's a written pat on the back on the new touches we put in. We have a few testing rooms such as the one you have stayed in where we hope to redo all our rooms with the duvets and 42-46" plasma televisions.

Yes, I am the son that you mentioned and this is indeed a family run business. I took over the business in 2012 and we are in a transition period for this year. I hope to present many new exciting changes in our product and service offerings. I treasure these honest reviews as it gives me a deeper understanding of what our guests enjoy and want to see better. I do read all the reviews from TA and Booking.com carefully.

The complimentary continental breakfast is a tricky one to deal with. With limited space in the lobby (as we do not own a cafeteria or a restaurant to host the breakfast), it is often a challenge to balance what items are offered for free to our valued guests. In addition to our normal continental breakfast, I've installed a beloved waffle maker that I happened to meet on my travels. I'm sorry to hear that he didn't give you the great taste you were expecting. For some it is a big hit, I guess for other it is just 'alright'.

We pack in quite a bit of Maxwell House Original Roast for our breakfast coffee. We only add water into the Bunn VPS Series Coffee Maker in amounts equal to one pot of coffee. We do not add additional water after it has been brewed. I do understand it could be the brand of coffee grind. I welcome any recommendations to solve this. One idea I was juggling in my head was to offer an espresso machine at $2-$3 a shot.

The orange juice is from concentrate. It is in a tin can. Perhaps I should consider buying a different type of concentrate. Thoughts?

Please feel free to message me directly with some value conscious ideas considering the limited space available in the serving area as well as in the back. I am open to any ideas to improve our service to our guests.

Sorry for the long message. We'd love to welcome you back to the Villa on your next return trip with, hopefully, more upgrades!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Found Villa to be well run and maintained. Newer windows kept road noise down. Evidence of ongoing upgrades and renovations. Tidy grounds with charming flower beds, high work ethic on owner's part. Location is just across the bridge from the city waterfront park with great walkway and outstanding outdoor workout installations. Many road crew contractors staying over, always a good sign in my book. Adjoining restaurant was surprisingly good. Would most definitely stay here again. Nelson is gorgeous!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Outstanding feedback, Al G! Thank you for your high praises and happy to hear your experience at the Villa and Nelson were fantastic. Would love to welcome you back to Nelson as well as the Villa on your next trip out to the Kootenays.

We aren't done with the upgrades and renovations yet. Quite a few large projects rolling out for this Winter 2012.

Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Motel is very clean, affordable,and just across the lake from town. At bit noisy but it would be good in the middle and not on the end of the entrance. Little scketcy when trying to get back on to highway. You can see the water and boats from the rooms good place to stay and relax.....

• Stayed: August 2012
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Hello Tootyfruity07,

Thank you for your honest review on the Villa Motel. Great to hear that you find us clean and affordable. I do apologize that you still heard noises from the road. We have installed new doors and windows to provide a quieter environment for our guests within the last year. Also there are two access points to the highway. There is one around the swimming pool building as well as the one right off Hwy 3A. I do agree, it is a bit tricky to turn right from the Hwy 3A entrance. Hope to see you again on your next visit to Nelson! :)

-Frank

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed one night only, but were impressed by Frank and Emily's friendly attitude towards us. The room was clean and we had all the comfort we needed for our stay. We would certainly recommend this motel for all travelers to stay in.
We did not have time to check all the services - pool, hot tub, room service etc., but would expect the same standard indeed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Thank you Soccer58 for the kind feedback. Emily and I were equally impressed with the friendly nature of you and your group. We would love to welcome you back on a hopefully longer stay at the Villa.

Many thanks,
Frank

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Its a nice clean motel and owners very friendly, Had a nice view of the lake and liked the picnic tables where you could enjoy your morning coffee. The only drawback was the pool doesn't open until 12 noon and found this unsual. The pool is not heated but the hot tub was great.

Room Tip: Room 69 had 2 nice beds in seperate rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Hello Gailh522, thank you for the great honest feedback. Glad you liked the open outdoors and views from our property.

In the past years we had the pool open in the morning. However, this led to people swimming past their checkout time and a delay in the checkin process. I am considering adjusting the opening times for the pool facilities in the near future. Also, the temperature of the swimming pool is a fine balance. I understand how for some it is a bit cold, but for many it is too hot to swim in if I heat it more. Increasing the temperature in the past made the swimming pool into a children's pool which we did not wish. We strongly believe if you swim in the swimming pool the temperature is set comfortably.

With all that said, I will take your comment into deep consideration and will attempt to satisfy both sides of the fence.

Hope to see you back again soon!

-Frank

Reviewed April 3, 2012

Excellent value! Clean quiet motel. Basic features, comfortable beds. Wonderful swimming pool and hot tub, very inexpensive. I'm not sure why they don't increase their rates!

Based on other comments, this is not a place for smokers. There was not a hint of smoke smell in my room.

I will stay at this motel on my next visit to Nelson!

Room Tip: Talk to Frank for the best service! He is very helpful.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RevyAdventure
Frank S, Manager at Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Hi Tim P,

Thank you for the great feedback! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our salt system pool/hot tub as well as our new Simmons Pillowtop beds. We'd love for you and your family to come visit us again on your next trip to Nelson.

Frank S.