“Quiet, reasonably priced, good location for travelers”
Review of Villa Motel

Villa Motel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
Coquitlam
“Quiet, reasonably priced, good location for travelers”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Found Villa to be well run and maintained. Newer windows kept road noise down. Evidence of ongoing upgrades and renovations. Tidy grounds with charming flower beds, high work ethic on owner's part. Location is just across the bridge from the city waterfront park with great walkway and outstanding outdoor workout installations. Many road crew contractors staying over, always a good sign in my book. Adjoining restaurant was surprisingly good. Would most definitely stay here again. Nelson is gorgeous!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Outstanding feedback, Al G! Thank you for your high praises and happy to hear your experience at the Villa and Nelson were fantastic. Would love to welcome you back to Nelson as well as the Villa on your next trip out to the Kootenays.

We aren't done with the upgrades and renovations yet. Quite a few large projects rolling out for this Winter 2012.

Frank Shin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Motel is very clean, affordable,and just across the lake from town. At bit noisy but it would be good in the middle and not on the end of the entrance. Little scketcy when trying to get back on to highway. You can see the water and boats from the rooms good place to stay and relax.....

• Stayed August 2012
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Hello Tootyfruity07,

Thank you for your honest review on the Villa Motel. Great to hear that you find us clean and affordable. I do apologize that you still heard noises from the road. We have installed new doors and windows to provide a quieter environment for our guests within the last year. Also there are two access points to the highway. There is one around the swimming pool building as well as the one right off Hwy 3A. I do agree, it is a bit tricky to turn right from the Hwy 3A entrance. Hope to see you again on your next visit to Nelson! :)

-Frank
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed one night only, but were impressed by Frank and Emily's friendly attitude towards us. The room was clean and we had all the comfort we needed for our stay. We would certainly recommend this motel for all travelers to stay in.
We did not have time to check all the services - pool, hot tub, room service etc., but would expect the same standard indeed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Thank you Soccer58 for the kind feedback. Emily and I were equally impressed with the friendly nature of you and your group. We would love to welcome you back on a hopefully longer stay at the Villa.

Many thanks,
Frank
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Its a nice clean motel and owners very friendly, Had a nice view of the lake and liked the picnic tables where you could enjoy your morning coffee. The only drawback was the pool doesn't open until 12 noon and found this unsual. The pool is not heated but the hot tub was great.

Room Tip: Room 69 had 2 nice beds in seperate rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Frank S, Owner at Villa Motel, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Hello Gailh522, thank you for the great honest feedback. Glad you liked the open outdoors and views from our property.

In the past years we had the pool open in the morning. However, this led to people swimming past their checkout time and a delay in the checkin process. I am considering adjusting the opening times for the pool facilities in the near future. Also, the temperature of the swimming pool is a fine balance. I understand how for some it is a bit cold, but for many it is too hot to swim in if I heat it more. Increasing the temperature in the past made the swimming pool into a children's pool which we did not wish. We strongly believe if you swim in the swimming pool the temperature is set comfortably.

With all that said, I will take your comment into deep consideration and will attempt to satisfy both sides of the fence.

Hope to see you back again soon!

-Frank
Revelstoke, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Excellent value! Clean quiet motel. Basic features, comfortable beds. Wonderful swimming pool and hot tub, very inexpensive. I'm not sure why they don't increase their rates!

Based on other comments, this is not a place for smokers. There was not a hint of smoke smell in my room.

I will stay at this motel on my next visit to Nelson!

Room Tip: Talk to Frank for the best service! He is very helpful.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RevyAdventure
Frank S, Manager at Villa Motel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Hi Tim P,

Thank you for the great feedback! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our salt system pool/hot tub as well as our new Simmons Pillowtop beds. We'd love for you and your family to come visit us again on your next trip to Nelson.

Frank S.
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed at Villa Motel for 2 nights during a spring skiing trip. The manager (Frank) was great and super friendly. The rooms were clean and at a rate of $69 plus tax for 2 doubles, free food between 8-10am (which is clearly posted, not sure why others complained about it), access to a small pool and hot tub, and free wifi, how could you go wrong! I'd stay at Villa Motel again in a second for that price!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank evy1415
Frank S, Manager at Villa Motel, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Hi Evy1415, glad to hear you have a pleasant stay with us. Your honest review is greatly appreciated. Would love to have you join us for the next snow season. Also, come check out Nelson in the summer. I think you'll find it both relaxing and pleasing.
Christina Lake, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights during my son's hockey tournament. When we walked into the room all we could smell is cigarette smoke. It was old and dirty. They only gave us 2 towels for a family of four. My son accidentally spilled a bottle of water on the bed, and when I went to the office to ask for some new bedding and towels, the manager told me that the chambermaid has gone home for the day and he didn't know where anything was kept. We had to miss out on the continental breakfast cause it didn't start till 8:00. When I just recently checked my credit card statement I see that they charged me $100. When I called them to ask why, they said that we smoked in the room. I explained that my husband and I are non smokers, but he didn't care. We didn't bother saying anything when we first got there, cause we figured for $55 a night, you get what you pay for. The manager told me that they check the rooms right before check in, and the room had no odour. I told him he was lying because that's the first thing we noticed when we walked in. I now wish we would have said something. I won't stop until I get my money back from this scam artist!!!!

Room Tip: You get what you pay for, so stay in a nice hotel. It's worth it.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jenna B
Frank S, Manager at Villa Motel, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Jenna B,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at the Villa Motel.

I apologize that we are a limited service motel and can not provide service 24/7. Our housekeepers start their shift at 9am and usually leave in the early afternoon. You notified us about the wet bed during the evening and I sincerely apologize that our housekeeping staff was unavailable during those hours for your needs. A complimentary secondary room was provided to you due to the lack of our housekeeping staff during the evening. It is my assumption that we had tried to our best ability to provide hospitable service.

All rooms are outfitted with two sets of towels that include two bath towels, two face towels, two hand towels, and a bath mat. However, more towels are available at the front desk.

I'd like to address the issue of cigarette odor in the room. The previous guests who stayed in your room checked out about a week prior to your arrival. Due to their extended length of stay, it is our procedure to do a deep cleaning with a housekeeping manager signing off to verify that the room meets our standards. There was no odor present at this time nor has there been another guest who checked into that room before you. I would suggest in the future, if you check into a room with a strong smoking odor that you notify the front desk to avoid charges. Also, while traveling with children, I'd like to suggest that odor of this nature is not healthy for them and a room change should of been requested upon check in.

During a phone call about this issue, you stated that there were minor odors in the room as the heater heated the room, so did the smoking odor. We have investigated the heater and have found no reason as to why or how a heater would produce a cigarette odor.

Since it is Winter season and this being a group reservation, our staff went to all the rooms to ensure the windows were closed and to set the room temperature from 15 to 20 degrees celcius.

Your room has been checked twice by two different managers between the previous stay and your stay. We always try our best to ensure a comfortable stay for all our reservations.

On your checkout date, our housekeepers noticed a strong smoking odor in your room. Our procedure is to check the surrounding rooms to pinpoint the source and extent of damage. We had checked the adjacent rooms as well as the rooms below and none of them shared the characteristics of a smoking odor.

Even today, Jan. 12th, the room is still out of order due to the smoking odor.

It is very unfortunate that you were unable to enjoy our continental breakfast. However, we have always displayed and responded that our breakfast is served 8:00 AM till 10:00 AM daily.

Frank S.