“Expensive low end hotel”

The Adventure Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
Kelowna, Canada
“Expensive low end hotel”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

This hotel is old and has not aged well...we have been in some very old hotel that are quite charming and luxurious feeling, this one isn't. There is a old carpet smell when you enter the lobby and throughout the building and the room. No elevator (and all rooms are access by stairs) and hallway floors are uneven...you felt more like you were entering a dorm. Walls are thin and sleep was disturbed by frequent noise of people walking the hall ways and young kids screaming and yelling when the bar closed. The room has no ammenities...no coffee pot, no clock, no ceiling fan for the bathroom. Yet you will pay premium dollar for your stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ancientquest
newgrand, Guest Relations Manager at The Adventure Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2011
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel.

We try to accommodate our guests with the services we offer, such as a fresh coffee station centrally located equipped with "Kootenay Coffee" for our guests instead of those small, inconvenient coffee pots in the rooms. Our Front Desk staff realizes that many of our guest are here on holiday and want to forget the time, but we do offer wake up calls to our guests.

Our boutique hotel was built in 1913 and many of our guests admire the way we have tried to preserve the unique charm of our hotel, for example, our vintage rooms are furnished with original hardwood flooring, and we didn't disturb the structure with installing an elevator.

As we are centrally located in beautiful downtown Nelson, there are at times people on the streets after "bar" hours. We do have security onsite to ensure that the hotel guests are disturbed to a minimum.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We liked the funky, "not a chain motel" feel of the place. It reminded me of the small, family owned hotels I've stayed in traveling in Europe. The desk staff were friendly and helpful. We walked easily to the great downtown dining, shopping, and to the waterfront. The linens, towels, and bathroom were clean; but the blinds and carpet were a bit worn. The water pressure in the shower provided a rare treat compared to the flow saving showers of most chain locations. We did hear the downtown nightlife, especially when the bars closed; but it was quiet enough to sleep in in the morning.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Yes, there was a fire in Nelson that night. But my room lost electricity at 4pm and I was told I would have power back around 6pm. It was extremely hot that day. I had no a/c, no phone, no tv, no way to charge my cell phone. Had I known the power wasn't going to be turned back on until the middle of the night, I would've moved to another hotel. It was loud. ALL night. Too hot. Too noisy outside to sleep withthe windows open. Too noisy inside with guests gathering in the hallway. I asked twice, when checking out, for a discount or refund, but was told I would have to speak with the manager, who was never there. I was told to email her when I returned home. (2000 miles away). I did. Five times. I was told that I was given a discounted rate. But I wasn't. And then I was ignored and they have not assumed any responsibility at all. The rooms were not very clean. Cigarette butts on the floor. Hair all over the bathtub.
Overall, the city of Nelson was nice. It was my first visit. But the stay at the New Grand Hotel was very dissatisfying and disappointing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank justvisiting_10
newgrand, Front Office Manager at The Adventure Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2011
Unfortunately on the day of your stay, a heritage building in the downtown core was on fire. The electrical did go out, to protect the firefighters, but was disconnected due to damage to the lines later that night.

All rooms were given candles, and as needed, a telephone was provided for you at the front desk, as the phones are operated on a switchboard that requires power.

We had tried to keep all guests informed as we received updates, but as you can imagine officials were very busy trying to save the adjoining businesses to the fire. All guests were given the option of moving to another hotel that was not effected by the power outage.

We are sorry that your stay was not as enjoyable as you expected.
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My partner & I were travelling to Nelson with 2 small dogs. I checked numerous hotels in the area & found this hotel as "Pet Friendly". I phoned on the day we were travelling & was able to book it with a small surcharge for the dogs. When we arrived, the reception guy was very friendly and made our dogs feel very welcome. The owner of the hotel helped us to the room. Good location, free parking & excellent daily specials for the pub. The day we went was $5.00 pizza, not bad. The location in Nelson was perfect for walking around with the dogs & close to the lake.
The room we were given was clean, updated, a bit on the smallside but is typical of the period of when the hotel was built, and loved the shampoo/conditioner/soap set in the bathroom (it was higher end). Totally recommend for those who travel with pets!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We were greeted warmly by the front desk staff and the owner was there also. As we inquired to the type of rooms available, he personally took us to a room and showed us before we decided. Very friendly! Although the hallways are a bit dark, we were surprised by the comfort and cleanliness of the room. The hotel was very busy with a motorcycle group, but our room was at the end of the hallway and extremely quiet. Comfortable bed and nice quality linens and duvet. We ate in the restaurant and had an excellent meal with very good service. Vancouver quality.
I am very picky when it comes to cleanliness, and I felt like we had stumbled upon a great find. It is old and funky, but this adds to it's charm.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
oregon
Reviewed March 21, 2010

This is a great funky hotel with super friendly staff, but if you plan on getting any sleep during your stay wear earplugs! There are 2 bars downstairs and one across the street that will keep you up till the wee hours of the morning. The hotel windows are old, so you hear everything from the street down below. Ask for a room on the backside of the hotel and away from the ice machine. It seems to be a place for a younger crowd and those looking to party in the lively town of Nelson. We had our dogs and apparently the hotel is pet-friendly, but we didn't know until we checked out. Dogs had to sleep in the truck. We will more then likely not stay here again, but I do recommend it to those who plan on taking advantage of the nightlife in Nelson.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed January 5, 2010

My wife and I spent two nights here - including New Year's eve. We really enjoyed the hotel. Dark hallways to get to the rooms but our room was very clean and modern with an older hotel, classic flare to it. Location of hotel is in the heart of Nelson with Baker street on one side and the lake on the other. The pub is great and the lounge, steakhouse would look more in place in a ritzy hotel in a much larger center. Also, the hotel is very dog friendly.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple