“Local visitor” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
“Local visitor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Four of us ladies stopped in for dinner after a movie in Nanaimo at about 6:45. They were out of three of their weekly specials by that time. My beef dip was mediocre at best and I only ate half. Very disappointing not to have any of the specials I would have ordered but particularly chicken pie and/or fish and chips. Both White Spot traditions.. The service was very uninspired. A very disappointing evening when we could have eaten at the Spot in North Nanaimo. To follow an E-Mail to the local White Spot about this issue was not even responded to.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank richmennie

Victoria, Canada
“So bad it was funny”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I never review this type of chain restaurant. Everyone knows what to expect. However, we didn't expect over a 30 minute wait in an empty restaurant. The best moment came when one of our party ordered from the gluten free menu and the waitress took it upon herself to decide that certain ingredients contained gluten (remember.......she was ordering from the GLUTEN FREE menu) and brought out half the order. Cue missing ingredients turning up (after complaining) 10 mins later on a separate plate and no apologies from our server.

My favourite moment was when a server waiting on the neighbouring table told an old lady to watch out because her plate was hot....... she then proceeded to reach across the table and place
the plate in the ladies hands. It was like watching a car crash.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank blindlemonpie
Nanaimo, Canada
“Mediocre at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Heard much about this chain of restaurants when we lived in Toronto from BC transplants. So now that we're Ontario transplants in BC, I was interested in hitting this spot to see how if fared.

Well, I'm underwhelmed. The Parksville location (the only one I've been to so no idea if this is a chain-wide issue) looks very dated when you go in. The first time we went, we were greeted by an 18 year old host who looked quite dishevelled, his shirt half untucked and his hair unkempt (neither in a stylish way), who seated un is a small booth. A hanging lamp above the booth behind us had a faulty lightbulb and kept flickering, very annoying.

The server was friendly and polite and got us our sodas promptly and a few minutes later out came our food: a swiss and mushroom burger for me and a beef dip for my partner. My burger came with their "famous" house fries and a side of cole slaw updated with sunflower seed.

I can honestly say the burger was, at best , all right. Nothing at all special here. I did find it annoying that the bun the burger is served on is so pedestrian that it completely disintegrated by the time I was a third of the way through the sandwich, leaving me with a sloppy meat patty in my fingers. My partner's beef dip was, he reports, not outstanding either.

Was the food bad? No. Pedestrian is the best one might say. Expensive? Not really, a bit more than McDee's but it is a sit down place with real plates. Impressive? Not at all.

Other than being a local based chain, I can't say there's much particularly interesting here. Their commercials featuring what one presumes to be creative chefs making excellent food is a bit of a stretch. I suppose this falls under the grouping of "Family Restaurants" though why family restaurants need to be so mediocre is beyond me.

I gave the place a second shot but it didn't fare any better that time either. I don't expect I'll be visting again anytime soon. There are far better places in town to spend your money.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank CanuckianDude
Parksville, British Columbia, Canada
“Poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have ordered food from here a number of times. They rarely get your order correct, if you complain they will make good and give you a free meal or a coupon of some kind so that is good. But it is still quite frustrating to never get an order right, I want to eat what I ordered not what ever random [--] you want to put in a bag.

The last time specifically there was only MAYBE 4 tables being used and there was 6+ employees, not a single part of my order was right and I was charged way more than what I was given. I could see the bag with my food in it and it took her almost 5 minutes to grab it and hand it to me once I got there.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Parksville, B.C.
“Every time I have ever been there I have been disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

When I first moved to Parksville, I went to the White Spot and it was so bad that we never went back. Service was poor and food was either too cold, not good, whatever, I only remember saying I would never go back. In September this year, we decided to try it again. Still lousy food. Maybe it depends on what you order, I don't know.

Visited September 2012