“The Good & the Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Victoria, Canada
“The Good & the Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2007

My husband and I took a quick trip up to the Tigh-na-Mara in Parksville, BC for our 5th anniversary. We stayed 2 nights in the Jedidiah lodge & found the accomodations just OK.

If you are looking for something rustic, then this is the place for you. My only complaints with the actual room is that we found dead insects on the carpeting (they were still there even after the housekeeping came through) and that there was construction going on right by our room. Over the weekend the resort left out construction equipment, drywall and piles of gravel uncovered for everyone to see from their patios. Not the best view.

We absolutely loved both the Cedar Room restaurant & the Grotto Spa. For our next trip up to Parksville, rather than paying for a less than great room, we would prefer to go for a camping trip on the beach next door and go to the Grotto Spa for the day.

• Liked — The restuarant & spa
  • Disliked — The uncomfortable bed & view of construction
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank travelingGs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Victoria, BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2007

I have been in the tourism industry on Vancouver Island for over 20 years and am very familiar with the many resorts it has to offer. Tigh Na Mara resort was always being promoted as the best in Parksville. My husband and I decided to go up-Island (we live in Victoria) for a get-a-way. We chose Tigh-Na-Mara and wanted to be on the beach, but because we were travelling with our little dog, we had
no choice except to stay ina log cabin/cottage. We stayed in #416. We found out the next day after complaining that it is the oldest in the resort. Very tired, worn out, depressing, dark, dingy and unclean. We didn't even use the tub or shower because it was so small and gross looking. We awoke to the noise of trucks rumbling past because of all of the construction going on. This was NOT the soothing forest/ocean sounds we were hoping for. I would NEVER recommend the cabins to anyone, it wasn't even suitable for our dog, he hated it, I guess he sensed our displeasure. The restaurant was nice, food and service was great, one drawback was the loud rock music station that was playing. The walk to the beach was lovely and the beach was breathtaking. If you ever go, stay in the resort facing
the ocean, not the cabins. Very pricey for shoulder-season. $200.00 + $25.00 for our dog. They did waive that fee after I complained and I have to compliment the front desk staff who were very eager to please. We went to Tofino after that for 2 nights and stayed at the Long Beach Resort, what a difference! More money and worth it, and absolutely no comparison. The owners of Tigh Na Mara should visit so they can see what a real resort is like with cottages that have class
and style and appeal to modern travellers!

• Disliked — Very old and worn-out
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank bbqueenVictoria
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

I haven't been to Tigh-Na-Mara since I was a child and had a great time as we stayed in one of their log cabins last time.

Stayed in one of their Spa side bungalows...

Decided to try out the spa too while I was there. Felt so great after my treatment, we went up to the Tree Top restaurant in the spa for some tapas. Travelling from around the world I've had amazing cuisine, but was blown away by the food.

Staff was very accomodating and most of all the setting was very relaxing and quiet.

• Liked — The Jacuzzi
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank stationgate
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

My girlfriends and I booked the Desperate Housewives pkg. We had the best time ever. The room was beautiful with new furniture, the new pool was amazing. We are going to bring our families in the summer. The spa was incredible with the Endless Tapas! Everything was clean and the staff was so welcoming and friendly, everywhere we went the staff was accomodating. Thank you so much for a wonderful stay, we will see you in the summer!

• Liked — the staff and the amazing spa
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank sam50
Pemberton, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

Located along a strip of shoreline, Tigh-na-mara offers a serenity that none other can compare. My window looked out onto the Georgia Straight, a pictoresque view of ocean water, mountains and a wide span of blue sky. In a few minutes, I was able to transplant myself from the vaulted ceiling room to the beach down below. I felt like I had finally come home when I took of my sandals and walked barefoot along the shore. The scent of ocean sprayed across the water, arriving with the gentle breeze that caressed my face. Shells, seaweeds and empty crabshells turned the morning into a childish game as I stepped, scooped and stored the newfound treasures into my pocket. Invigorated by my seaside explorations, I made my way through the tall cedar trees along the forested path to The Grotto. Within seconds of entering the spa building, I was overwhelmed by a sense of tranquility and calm. A stream of cascading water welcomed me on my way to the inner water sanctuary. To prepare for the mineral pool, I showered under a unique copperhead faucet reminiscent of ancient times. My mental pace began to diminish, as reluctant as my body was to slow down - slow down from the pace of living that modern life demands. I stepped into the warm waters of the healing bath and sunk into bliss. Floating and careening through the water steadily drew me into a deeper state of relaxation. My mind dreamed of cultures of people who, over the centuries, regularly returned to such sacred aqueous areas to rejuvenate and detoxify their bodies. The traditions of water therapy balance the body at all levels of existence - physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. Bathing in the mineral waters simply is similar to our sojourn in the saline waters of the womb awaiting birth. Upon leaving Tigh-na-mara, I felt reborn, full of new dreams and rekindled hope. I look forward to returning.

3 Thank serenityatsea
Island Girl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

My family (my spouse , 2 kids and our dog) just spent over a week at The Tigh-Na-Mara in a cozy log cabin. The resort was great! The staff were so helpful.The beach was amazing, I guess the pool has just been reopened after extensive reno's but was wonderful, what a great way for the kids to burn off that last little bit of energy before going for a great dinner at the restaurant.
We spent quaility time together with the TV off playing games and sitting around the fireplace. Just unwinding. We will definatley be returning. I recommend it highly.
We also met a nice couple who were there on their honeymoon. They had spent the day at The Spa and couldn't say enough about how amazed they were with the entire resort. Maybe next time we just might leave the kids at home ;)

• Liked — The cabin, Very modern amenities but still felt like a rustic getaway
  • Disliked — No direct restaurant room service, they did offer to provide meals as a picnic though
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank theislandgirl
North Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2007

My husband booked us here for my surprise 40th birthday. It was amazing, we stayed in a room that had a 180 degree view of the ocean. It was soooo romantic, we has a jacuzzi tub right beside our bed, and room was really nice. They told us they had just been renovated. I also had a massage in the spa, they should call it paradise. The staff were really great too. Ohhh they had also just opened thier pool, it was really nice. Maybe we'll come back with the kids.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — we had to leave
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PictureKimmy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
#1 of 13 in Parksville
Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!