“Spa is lovely,, rooms not so much.”

Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Reviewed June 28, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at this resort. We had a gift certificate that included the two nights in a "Spa Bungalow" and one 60 minute spa treatment each.
First impressions count. Staff that checked us in were not warm. Not warm at all. One staff was a trainee( a male) and was trying to learn the ropes, the supervising staff ( a female) looked rather rather bored. Neither cracked a smile or even greeted us warmly. It actually was quite a contrast to the Spa staff who were quite superior in behaviour( thank goodness) .

Our room was dissappointing. It was DARK , and faced a busy road,, with just some scrubby forest in the way.. there was forest right up to edge of patio, so little light and no sun at all. Room had a very old and smallish tv. I haven't seen one like that in a nice hotel in at least 4-5 years( was not flat screen and was maybe 20 inches at most?) Pay movies were 12 dollars each, a total rip as the cable company charge is only 6 dollars, but whatever.
Bathrooms were nice enough,, but generic.
Noise was an issue,, traffic noise if you left door open, and we also heard our neighbors more then we wanted to.

One highlight in room, was the king sized bed with a great comfy mattress and duvets .

We would not choose to stay there again, and would never pay to,, but one shining exception was the Spa.

The 40 dollar charge to assess the grotto pool is quite frankly disgusting. It is nice ,, but I wouldn't have paid more then 10-15$ ,, no way was it worth 40 dollars.Its not a real hotspring. It is a hot tub,, and a small body tempature pool that they add minerals too, not a from source mineral water experience. The grotto pool visit IS however included with any treatment you have, so do go early and enjoy it for that.
We both had massages,,but not together. The massage staff were amazing and gave me one of the best most relaxing experiences I have had in a spa for years. Thank you Monique. My hubby had a male who was a massage therapist and was also amazing.

There is a free pool, but it is across a road and in another section of hotel from Spa units.

The staff on the Spa reception desk were also very, very good. They smiled and acted like you made their day just by being there,, and it didn't feel forced. One young man was particularily friendly,, even pointing out a discount basket of goodies when I was asking about product prices. I apprieciated that .

We had one breakfast at the Cedar Room and it was enjoyable.. the goat cheese frittata was yummy and the potatoes were perfect.

We did not mind that the resort is not in town,, I mean, no one goes to Parksville for the town, its all about the beach. It is an amazing beach,, and yes its down a hill, but that did not bother us. They do have a fire ring on beach and wood is supplied ( but you carry it down) and we thought that was a nice touch.

Over all a decent place but it is overpriced because foriegn tourists will pay that in summer, we wouldn't( we only live 2 hours away) . We would visit the spa again though, , it is really well done and likely keeps that place afloat in the winter.

There are some beach front condos that I imagine are well lit and of course would have incredible views,, but I am sure are priced out of most peoples reach.
Staff on front desk need to smile .

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joan1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,285)

Reviewed June 20, 2010

With all due respect, I'm afraid my husband and I both found the Tigh Na Mara left us feeling decidedly underwhelmed. It is supposed to be THE place to go when you go to Parksville, but honestly, it's nothing special.
At the risk of sounding like a spoiled diva, let me add that after one night's stay at Tigh Na Mara, we checked out and moved up the road to the Beach Club resort, which is VERY nice and felt much better.
The room we had at Tigh Na Mara was quite dark and coldish. Didn't feel all that warm or cozy. Heavy use of logs in the decor, which was a little bit much.
The beach is of course, wonderful, but a bit of a hike downhill to get to it.
Another thing worth mentioning for those not familiar with the area, this resort is at the very far end of town, so walking to shops, restaurants etc, is a bit of a challenge, if not out of the question.
Also the pool and the spa are not included with the cost of a room and are quite costly to add on to the already inflated prices.
All in all kind of disappointing. Not horrible, by any means, but not as incredible as one would expect for the money.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dsnewtime
Houtby, Director of Sales at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback Trip Advisor. The entireTigh-Na-Mara takes all comments very seriously.

Tigh-Na-Mara is a West Coast Resort, spread over 22 acres in log style accommodation units. We try to be very clear about the log style of our rooms throughout our resort marketing, so my personal apology if this was not well communicated or there was a misunderstanding of our Resort set up. Our friends in town are located in a completely different traditional hotel style property right along the highway, so perhaps more in line with your expectations.

Our guests love our warm log-style feel and our quieter location, choosing Tigh-Na-Mara based on this. Therefore we are really disappointed to hear your stay was not what you expected.

Kindly note the fitness centre and indoor pool are offered complimentary with every stay (along with complimentary parking). Access to the Mineral Pool at the Grotto Spa is complimentary with any treatment. The Resort also offers a complimentary shuttle service upon request into downtown Parksville a short 5 minute drive away for those who prefer to explore beautiful Parksville.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort and the Grotto Spa.

Kind Regards,

Jenn Houtby-Ferguson, CMP CMM
Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort

Reviewed June 20, 2010

For a very reasonable rate (best I can find on Vancouver Island) Tigh-Na-Mara provides accomodation that really ensures I can make the most of my work days when I am travelling for business. As it is Mid-Island I can easily travel to communities to the North and South without having to pack, unpack, etc if I were to relocate to a different hotel. Staff ensure they are familiar with what will make my stay the best it can be, the rooms have easily accessible free internet ensuring I can get as much work as possible done during my stays. They also have at least a fridge in the rooms. I also recommend their conference facilities which I have used for meetings and know of others who have incorporated the team building activites offered by the Tigh-Na-Mara team. I encourage anyone to stay at Tigh-Na-Mara for work or pleasure. I know they will enjoy a truly exceptional stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank BurnabyDiane
Houtby, Director of Sales & Marketing at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2010

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us!

With the largest Resort Conference Space on Vancouver Island we have a long history of hosting corporate guests; both those traveling throughout the Island such as yourself as well as those attending a meeting in one of our 12 meeting rooms.

Thank you for taking the time to post - we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Kind Regards:

Jenn Houtby-Ferguson
Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort & Conference Centre

Reviewed June 3, 2010

Excellent friendly service, beautiful rooms...wish my stay was longer but will definately be a first choice next trip!

Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Went up for a afternoon of spa treatments and Tapas with a friend which was outstanding. We both really enjoyed the spa and the grotto. We stayed in one of the spa bungalows which was nice but I really don't think a good value for the money it is very basic in it's amenities and was really loud when the neighbours were in and out of there bungalow letting the door slam late at night and we could here them talking through the walls. In the morning we were serenaded by one of our 2 neighbours having a shower and was singing at 7:00am. I would definitely do the Spa again but wouldn't stay there. I stayed at Tigh Na Mara 20 years ago and was disappointed then that is was in need of updating. This time It was a little more updated but I expected it to be more luxurious than what it was for being a spa bungalow.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback Trip Advisor. Please know our entire Tigh-Na-Mara team takes your comments very seriously.

We are thrilled to hear you and your guest enjoyed our award winning Grotto Spa, Grotto Mineral Pool and Treetop Tapas & Grill restaurant. The Grotto experience is one of complete and total relaxation.

In terms of your overnight accommodation, our Spa Bungalow Units are the largest room type and one of the most requested room type due in large part to their large size and large jetted tubs as well as the proximity of our Spa Bungalow Units to the Grotto Spa. Please note we are planning to refresh our Spa Bungalow Units beginning in late 2010 and early 2011. These updates will include fresh paint, new furniture, carpet and more. As you can imagine with the largest Resort on Vancouver Island with 192 rooms spread over 22 acres, these types of updates do take some time and we work in stages to minimize guest interruption.

In the last 18 months we have made significant improvements to our guestrooms and amenities throughout the resort. Specifically we have spent more than $2 million dollars updating our oceanview units, our rustic log cottages and the Pool House. These updates include new linens, new lighting, flat screen televisions, new furniture etc.

It is quite unusual to be awakened by a guest signing in the shower! Please accept my personal apology for this disruption.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort and the Grotto Spa very soon.

Kind Regards,

Jenn Houtby-Ferguson, CMP CMM
Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort

Reviewed May 4, 2010

Beautiful resort with wonderful amenities and the gorgeous beach right below. Spa is magnificent with the mineral pool as part of the package. Felt really renewed after treatments. Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Dinner at the restaurant was really delicious as was lunch in the pub area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2010

April 2010 we had a quiet wedding at Tigh na Mara. The staff were amazing. Everything was beautiful and we were made to feel very welcome by the staff. The location, room and service was so much more than we expected.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
Ocean Sands Resort
Ocean Sands Resort
#2 of 13 in Parksville
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!