My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at this resort. We had a gift certificate that included the two nights in a "Spa Bungalow" and one 60 minute spa treatment each.
First impressions count. Staff that checked us in were not warm. Not warm at all. One staff was a trainee( a male) and was trying to learn the ropes, the supervising staff ( a female) looked rather rather bored. Neither cracked a smile or even greeted us warmly. It actually was quite a contrast to the Spa staff who were quite superior in behaviour( thank goodness) .
Our room was dissappointing. It was DARK , and faced a busy road,, with just some scrubby forest in the way.. there was forest right up to edge of patio, so little light and no sun at all. Room had a very old and smallish tv. I haven't seen one like that in a nice hotel in at least 4-5 years( was not flat screen and was maybe 20 inches at most?) Pay movies were 12 dollars each, a total rip as the cable company charge is only 6 dollars, but whatever.
Bathrooms were nice enough,, but generic.
Noise was an issue,, traffic noise if you left door open, and we also heard our neighbors more then we wanted to.
One highlight in room, was the king sized bed with a great comfy mattress and duvets .
We would not choose to stay there again, and would never pay to,, but one shining exception was the Spa.
The 40 dollar charge to assess the grotto pool is quite frankly disgusting. It is nice ,, but I wouldn't have paid more then 10-15$ ,, no way was it worth 40 dollars.Its not a real hotspring. It is a hot tub,, and a small body tempature pool that they add minerals too, not a from source mineral water experience. The grotto pool visit IS however included with any treatment you have, so do go early and enjoy it for that.
We both had massages,,but not together. The massage staff were amazing and gave me one of the best most relaxing experiences I have had in a spa for years. Thank you Monique. My hubby had a male who was a massage therapist and was also amazing.
There is a free pool, but it is across a road and in another section of hotel from Spa units.
The staff on the Spa reception desk were also very, very good. They smiled and acted like you made their day just by being there,, and it didn't feel forced. One young man was particularily friendly,, even pointing out a discount basket of goodies when I was asking about product prices. I apprieciated that .
We had one breakfast at the Cedar Room and it was enjoyable.. the goat cheese frittata was yummy and the potatoes were perfect.
We did not mind that the resort is not in town,, I mean, no one goes to Parksville for the town, its all about the beach. It is an amazing beach,, and yes its down a hill, but that did not bother us. They do have a fire ring on beach and wood is supplied ( but you carry it down) and we thought that was a nice touch.
Over all a decent place but it is overpriced because foriegn tourists will pay that in summer, we wouldn't( we only live 2 hours away) . We would visit the spa again though, , it is really well done and likely keeps that place afloat in the winter.
There are some beach front condos that I imagine are well lit and of course would have incredible views,, but I am sure are priced out of most peoples reach.
Staff on front desk need to smile .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort is located in 22 acres of forest beside the ocean. The Resort features unique log-style accommodation units, gas fireplace and kitchenette in every guestroom as well as three on-site restaurants, a full service spa, indoor pool and fitness centre. Every stay at Tigh-Na-Mara includes complimentary parking, complimentary wireless internet and complimentary local and calling card calls. The Resort also offers direct beach access and six golf courses nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tigh-Na-Mara Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tigh-Na-Mara Hotel Parksville
- Tighnamara Resort
- Tigh-Na-Mara Resort Parksville, Vancouver Island