“Anniversary getaway”

Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and I planned a weekend getaway to celebrate our 19 year "dating" anniversary. We booked a suite with an ocean view. The room was fabulous! The view was magnificent. There was a jetted tub in the bathroom and a fireplace in the living room. The only negative we experienced was with the Grotto Spa. I decided to surprise him with a couples massage and dinner at the tree top tapas restaurant. I called the week before to make reservations and was informed that the Winter getaway package did not include RMT's. I requested a package that included RMT's so that we could submit the portion of the package for massages to our extended benefit plan. Three phone calls later we were confirmed for our massages with RMT's. We arrived for our appointment early enough to enjoy the mineral pool...what a great start to our evening, so relaxing. We headed up for our massages, what an experience! We had never had a couples massage, I had never had a professional massage before. After the massage we headed for dinner. This was not our first time at the treetop tapas. It is quite possible the best food I have eaten. So delicious! This time our waitress informed us that if there was something in particular that we really liked we could order another portion. My husband did take advantage of this and ordered another portion of the prawns. The service was fabulous! This was probably the most relaxed we have been in years...
When we went to leave the desk had our bill. I asked for the receipts for the RMT's and were informed that we did not have RMT's. They apologized and handed me the bill for $400. I was informed that the manager would call me on Monday to discuss the issue. When I hadn't heard from the manager by tuesday I left her a message. She did call me back on wednesday as she had been sick. I understand she was trying to do her job but I felt like I was being called a liar, their story was that the package didn't come with RMT's to which I explained that I was aware of that so I requested a package that did. She then said that only one RMT was scheduled that day so whoever booked us wouldn't have scheduled us with RMT's, to which I explained was an error on their part. We have a great benefit plan so why would I only schedule one of us with an RMT? In the end we received a partial refund. Not as much as we would have received after submitting a receipt to our benefit plan. We haven't been back since. My error was not confirming on arrival to the spa that we had RMT's. I thought the phone calls earlier in the week covered this...

Room Tip: Worth the extra price for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank boxrluvr
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Good morning boxluvr and thank you for posting your review from your stay in December. Congratulations on your 19 year "dating" anniversary! I have to say I was thoroughly enjoying the read - it sounds like everything was going perfectly - fabulous room, magnificent view, relaxing Mineral Pool experience, professional massages - your first ever, some of the best food you've ever eaten, fabulous service, and my favourite part is where you say this is the most relaxed you've both been in years! What gets me excited about working in the resort industry is that we can provide that kind of experience and truly make a positive impact on peoples lives.

Then comes the billing which highlights our miscommunication or booking error and after such a wonderful experience, you leave disappointed. It's a sad situation and I'm truly sorry. I understand that you have spoken with our Spa Manager and there was a partial refund. It sounds as though you had done everything you could and thought you had booked your couples massages with RMT's. I can't say exactly what happened as I don't know your name to look it up. If you contact me directly I would be happy to research it further on your behalf. It's possible we did not understand your need for Registered Massage Therapists, but this is unlikely if as you say it took 3 phone calls to set up the massages. It's possible there was a change in our RMT availability in terms of scheduling, but in that case you should have been contacted to be informed of the change and provided with options.

I will follow up with our Spa Manager to try to determine what happened and what we could have done differently. I do hope you will consider returning. We'd love to have you back to celebrate your 20th anniversary with us!

Jim H

Write a ReviewReviews (2,283)

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We have stayed at this resort previously for various functions and decided to go for our 40th wedding anniversary. I booked the room through hotels.com. we has not planned on taking out dog but unfortunately in the end he had to come with us. we were told we would have to pay $30 to upgrade but when we got the bill is turned out to be $100; $30 for the dog and $70 to upgrade the room.

It's not that I mind the cost but it was not what I was told up front. The room in fact ending up costing us almost $300 for the one night and yet at Christmas we paid less than $200; doesn't make sense.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cathy1979
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you Cathy1979 for your review. I am sorry you feel the communication/service you received was poor. When one books their reservation through a 3rd party wholesale provider, such as Expedia or Hotels.com, he/she typically is getting one of a limited number of specific rooms that are sold to these companies at a discount. What you do not get, is any contact or communication with the hotel itself, and therefore no opportunity for us to customize your stay. We are not informed, for example, that you were celebrating your 40th Anniversary - congratulations!

In this case, you had booked a Jedediah Studio for 2 adults through hotels.com. These are our most economical room types available, but they are not pet-friendly rooms. When you arrived requesting a pet-friendly room, there is an upgrade charge to change rooms from the smaller studio to the larger cottage with a bedroom, which is a pet-friendly unit. There is also a one-time $30 charge for your pet to cover the cost of the extra cleaning necessary to prepare the room for our next guest. These terms were discussed and agreed to upon your arrival, the room upgrade was made and you were checked in. I understand it was more than what you originally planned to spend, and this can be an unpleasant surprise which obviously diminished your arrival experience. Had you booked directly with us, this option would have been explained in advance if you had mentioned the possibility of bringing your dog.

I trust you enjoyed your anniversary night out.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

My family all rented cabins and rooms here last Christmas. It was fantastic!! The cabins are of a decent size. We packed 10 people and 5 small dogs into one cabin on Christmas eve and while cozy it worked. We had a 2 bed cottage (last one on the end behind the Gabriola building) my Aunt had the one next to us, also a 2 bedroom. Each had a different layout but the same Sq footage. Both were rustic yet clean and warm. My parents stayed in an Ocean Front Delux Suite and WOW!! Huge living area, and balcony. If pets were allowed we would defiantly stay in this room over the cabins! The hotel thought of everything, even for our pups. Dog dish, poop bags and toys greeted our fur babies while comfy beds with really nice linen and everything we could need/want in the kitchen and bathrooms was available to us. The fireplace was all up to start a fire in it and the Christmas tree was up and decorated for our arrival! We accidentally broke two glasses and fessed up at check out, they didn't charge us for them and simply said, "accidents happen, no worries" On Christmas eve we all went for free (by donation) horse drawn carriage rides and the little one with us (he's 2) was invited to come to the main lodge for a visit with Santa. Santa even had a little gift for him (a toy car) after we all had fun singing Christmas carols. This may sound like the perfect picture of a family Christmas and it was! The groundskeepers, housekeeping, all the staff were full of Christmas spirit and really made this a memorable holiday for our entire family!

Room Tip: Splurge on ocean front and ask for a room on the upper floors of the Gabriola building! last cabin...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennsar2014

Thank you so much Jennsar2014 for your "Best Christmas ever" review! Sounds like your family enjoyed a fantastic, memorable Christmas together.

Yes we do get into the Christmas spirit around here. Christmas season for us begins early with our annual Toy Drive breakfast, where we host a free buffet breakfast for anyone who brings in a new, unwrapped toy for underprivileged families in our community. This year we served over 1,600 breakfasts, raising more than 1,800 toys and $3,500 in cash and gift certificates for charity. Then we decorate our Gift Shop as a giant gingerbread house. And as you mentioned, we deliver a small Christmas tree to every guestroom. Our Christmas Recreation Program has some really fun activities, like the horse-drawn carriage rides and visit by Santa Claus for the children.

Really happy you loved your Cottages and your Deluxe Ocean View Suite. Did not want to hear how many people and pets you packed into your Cottage - that's way over our fire code, sorry but a big no-no.

Thank you for mentioning how all the staff really made you feel at home. Hope to see you again next Christmas, if not before.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I needed a getaway from the city and away from a lot of the traffic and noise we see and hear daily. Tigh-Na-Mara was a great choice for us. Living in Metro Vancouver, it's a BC Ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo then another 3/4 hour drive to Parksville where Tigh-Na-Mara is.

We rented a bungalow cottage that was cozy and comfortable. There is a kitchenette there so it is worth finding a local grocery store to pick up a few things for snacks, breakfast and etc before you get there. The bedroom had a king sized bed with a fireplace and a soaker spa tub so it was worth spending time in that room alone if you want to but the Resort is known for its spa so we made most of our time there too.

The Grotto Spa has apparently received raves so we were not disappointed with the atmosphere when we gout out of our street clothes and into our bathing suits and robes. The mineral pool area helped us relax and when helped ready us for our massages. My wife enjoyed a body wrap and I, who never had a massage in his life, got a full 90-minute treatment. It is worth getting a spa package that allows you to have spa treatments then enjoy tapas afterwards in your bath robes.

Parksville is a small town on the Vancouver Island, far enough away from the big city but not quite cottage country. It was too bad it rained and snowed that weekend otherwise the chance to take a drive around the area would have let us see more of the area.

When our weekend was over we were relaxed, happy and sad to leave to go back to our careers where that stress can come back. For a getaway, the wife and I will think about visiting Tigh-Na-Mara again.

Room Tip: The cottage bungalows closer to the spa is something to ask for, that way you are never too far from...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald J
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you Ronald J for choosing Tigh-Na-Mara Resort as your destination for your "getaway from the big city". We're thrilled you had a wonderful getaway and returned home relaxed and happy!

Glad you enjoyed your Spa Bungalow Studio and took advantage of our Grotto Spa for some R&R. Good for you for trying a massage for the first time!

I agree with you that Tigh-Na-Mara is "far enough away from the big city" that you feel like you've actually gotten away without being too far - only a couple hours.

We hope to see you and your wife again the next time you feel stressed out by your careers and need a quick getaway,
Jim H.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We spent a weekend at Tigh Na Mara in January and were once again treated to a fabulous getaway. The resort has undergone some renovations and it is very evident that this resort is very conscious of creating a memorable experience for their guests. We dined at the newly renovated Cedar's restaurant and lounge. The menu has changed and we were delighted with our culinary experience. We will be back again in the near future.

Room Tip: Visit the spa, you will not be disappointed and definitely experience Cedars
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you larryjude for your fabulous review! I notice you are a Top TripAdvisor Contributor with more than 100 reviews in 23 cities, and that you live close by in Qualicum Beach - fantastic! We love it when local couples or families take advantage of "a weekend away" by being tourists in their own town.

Thank you for noticing that we have undergone some renovations. We have an annual renovation program so there is something new every year! This past year we finished our Spa Bungalow renovations as well as completely new concept, look and menus in our cedars restaurant & lounge plus a new in-room WiFi system.

We're thrilled you were able to enjoy such a memorable experience, as that is always our goal. We'll look forward to your next visit,

Reviewed March 11, 2014

My girlfriend and I visited Tigh-Na-Mara shortly after Valentine's Day. We stayed in a Cottage Bungalow room, and were very pleased with the aesthetic and features, particularly the great bathtub! Amenities of the room were generally great, although the cookware and utensils left a bit to be desired if you plan to cook using the in-room kitchenette.

The fitness centre was basic but functional. Did not get a chance to visit the pool, as it is on the smaller side and was buzzing with family activity. We enjoyed our dinner at the lounge. As a resort for a couples getaway at a reasonable price, I'd recommend Tigh-Na-Mara.

Room Tip: Spa bungalow room type was nice, and I'd guess the water view rooms are even nicer. The variety...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much EricDouglas for your great review! I see you stayed in a Spa Bungalow Studio with your girlfriend. Thank you for your positive comments about the room, all our Spa Bungalows have been recently renovated. If you plan to do much cooking in the room, I would recommend one of our Suites as these have a full kitchen including a dishwasher rather than a kitchenette.

I'm happy you enjoyed your dinner in our (also newly renovated) cedars restaurant & lounge.

Thanks again for your recommendation. We hope to see you again soon as we're only two hours from Victoria. Perhaps you will choose to stay in one of our ocean view rooms next time.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

A girlfriend came over from Vancouver and I picked her up in Nanaimo. We took the mid-week, 2 night special with a wee bit of spa spoiling thrown in. Oh, it was just sooo very lovely and much needed! Not only do you get so very spoiled by getting a 90 minute hot rock massage, but afterwards we went for tapas in the Tree Top Tapas bar with a large glass of wine - who could ask for anything more! Well, we chose to walk the beach after this just to put a nice cap to the day ... so very, very nice and relaxing...you get to come home to a lovely fire and another glass of wine and some more appies ... yessssss! This is the life indeed!
We chose a one bedroom, Ocean view and it worked out just fine as the Murphy bed in the living room was very comfortable for the second bed and the ocean view is right on the water. At this time of year and during the week it is very quiet and used mostly by adults so it was just perfect for a girls escape for all the worries and responsibilities ... just a whole lot of personal pampering - all good!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank you lesmocellin for your great review! Sounds like a 2-night getaway with your friend from Vancouver was just what you needed. I'm thrilled you enjoyed your 90 minute Soothing Stone Massages followed by Endless Tapas in our Treetop Tapas & Grill, your ocean view suite and walks on the beach. You are right, staying midweek this time of year offers more privacy and quiet than during weekends or during our "peak" periods.

Thanks again,
Jim H

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
Ocean Sands Resort
Ocean Sands Resort
#1 of 13 in Parksville
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!