“Relaxing and beautiful!”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Relaxing and beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were so impressed with this resort! We stayed for 3 nights in an ocean front room and the view was magnificent. Our room was spacious, accented with high ceilings and sky light, with a very comfortable king size bed, fireplace, full kitchen, fast internet, and all very clean and well kept. At the spa we thoroughly enjoyed the mineral pool and hot tub then had a couples massage, which was heavenly - the staff were very courteous, professional and welcoming. Afterward, we enjoyed theTree Top tapas - what an experience! The food was simply amazing. I had never had anything quite like it and going to dinner in bathrobes was a first! We felt like VIP's the whole weekend; the service there was top notch. I also have to mention the Sunday brunch which was very impressive. My only regret was getting too full too fast and not being able to try more of the incredible selection that was offered. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a relaxing get-away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you Kathy B for coming to Vancouver Island for a 3-night relaxing getaway from Calgary, and for choosing Tigh-Na-Mara as your destination resort!

Sounds like you stayed in one of our Deluxe Ocean View rooms on the top floor (hence the vaulted ceiling and skylight) and I'm happy you found your room to be spacious, well-appointed and very clean. The view is magnificent isn't it? I never get tired of seeing it.

Yes, our new internet service with Shaw Business is very fast, up to 15 Mbps download speed. We've received very positive feedback in the past month since we installed this new system.

Great that you enjoyed a Couples Massage, Mineral Pool and Endless Tapas while you were here. Like you said, it is a very unique experience.

I'm thrilled to read that our service throughout your visit was very courteous, professional and welcoming.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you need a relaxing getaway!
Jim H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

What a gorgeous spot! This was my first time to Tai Na Mara and had always heard how beautiful this place was....in reality it topped everything I had heard. The setting is breathtaking! Peaceful and tranquil, this resort offers a one-stop weekend getaway. The Grotto Spa is extremely well appointed and conveniently located across the resort main buildings. The rooms are rustic, with fireplaces and large enough for two or more. We ate at the Tree Top Tapas which was fantastic - 5 star food and dining experience - and excellent service. All the staff were wonderful. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: If you want seclusion choose one of the cabins throughout the property but if you want water views c...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you Reenie18 for your great review! Total peace & relaxation is definitely how we want our guests to feel after staying with us. Sounds like you and your friends really enjoyed not only the breathtaking setting, but also that you didn't have to go anywhere else once you arrived. You enjoyed your rustic guestroom, the Grotto Spa and our Treetop Tapas Restaurant with excellent food and service. We think our staff are wonderful too!

You are right that our Cottages offer more privacy but if you want the ocean view the Condos are the way to go.

Very happy that you chose to stay with us for the first time after always hearing how beautiful it is here, and even happier that you will definitely return!

Kelowna, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I'm a travel agent, and I do a bit of travelling, as well as talk to all my clients about their accomodations. The ocean front rooms in this resort would be quite nice if they were clean.
We arrived at 7 pm, checked in, the staff were very nice and check in was speedy. We got to our room, very limited room for parking. Our room was on the bottom level of the 3 storey structure. We were expecting an ocean view room, but there were trees grown over most of the view. It was obvious as soon as we got in the room that it hadn't been used for a while. It was extremely cold - the heat had been turned off for quite some time. There was moldy toilet paper not flushed in the toilet, and my husband just about ran into 2 large spiders on webs that were created on the patio. I phoned right away to ask for a different room, but they were full for the night. The manager offered to send us a bottle of wine or some appies at the restaurant, we settled on appies and the staff delivered fresh towels. We then discovered that the current towels in the room had been partially undone and there was long hair over the wash cloths. YUCK. At this time, I started wondering if the bed sheets had been changed. I called once again to the front desk, they were very nice and tried to make this right. I asked that they send their housekeeping staff to quickly go through the room and clean it. We were going for dinner, so there would be plenty of time to clean it up. We arrived at the restaurant to find that they were completely full for the rest of the evening, so we settled on the lounge. When we told the wait staff our situation, they confirmed with the front end manager, and relayed the message that they would pay for our 1st drink as well as any appies we would like. That was a very nice gesture.
When we got back to the room, it had not been cleaned, so I walked to the front desk to talk with the manager in person. She was very nice and explained that the housekeeping staff had been in to change the bed sheets, which was the case, but they hadn't touched anything else. I had hoped they would at least clean the toilet and possibly sweep the dust bunnies from under the table, and get rid of the dead spiders that my husband killed on the patio. By this time, it was too late to go anywhere else, so we made due, grateful that our sheets were at least clean.
Somewhere around 4:30 in the morning, someone in the suite above us was a very heavy walker, and was up and around for about an hour - possibly getting ready for an excursion?? The walk ways to the 2 levels above the ground floor rooms were right over top of the lowest floor bedrooms, so all the traffic on those was quite loud as well.
As I said before, the staff were very accommodating and apologetic, but it just didn't get rid of the creepy crawly feeling wondering what exactly was cleaned since the last guests.
Definitely not worth the high price they charge there.
They rely far too much on their spa to bring in guests, and need to bump up their housekeeping services. We made the reservation a day in advance, so they knew we were coming. They should have had ample time to clean and freshen up the room, and perhaps turn on the heat to make it welcoming for us. And clean out the spiders complete with webs!

Room Tip: Do not get an oceanview room on the bottom floor.
3 Thank TanaJ5
Thank you TanaJ5 for your review. As you stated, you made your reservation on Friday afternoon for Saturday night, and as we were fully booked yours was one of the last rooms available. Your reservation was for an Ocean View Suite for 2 nights on our Fall Frenzy Special ($149 midweek, $169 weekend includes $30 Resort Credit). Unfortunately we discovered a pinhole plumbing leak in the room you originally booked on the day of arrival which resulted in us upgrading you to a Deluxe Ocean View Suite at no extra charge. This may be the reason why your new room had not been inspected prior to your arrival. It still should have been inspected and warmed - no excuse - and I have discussed this with our Housekeeping Manager. We are sorry for the housekeeping issues you experienced. We think the toilet paper had been placed in the toilet as part of the cleaning process, then flushed but it came back up and was not re-checked after flushing. To have spider webs outside your room on the patio is a challenge for us - despite our efforts to knock them down we are in a forested area and spider webs outside can reappear quickly.

On the positive side, thank you for your kind words. It sounds like your room itself was quite nice, staff were very nice and check in was speedy. I'm happy that you let us know of your concerns and gave us the opportunity to correct them, and that our Team was very nice and tried to make this right. Unfortunately a room move was not available as we were fully booked, but we did change the bedding, provide new towels, provide complimentary drink & appetizers in our lounge, as well as a rate reduction for your inconvenience.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention. Your feedback is very important to us as we continue to strive to improve our guest experience.

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed in a forest view spa cottage. The large room and bathroom were clean, clean, clean. Room features: Incredibly comfortable king-size bed, little kitchenette with fridge, coffee maker and hot plate, murphy bed, gas fireplace and sitting area, patio doors out to a little patio. There is a spa, fitness area and small pebble beach with a gorgeous view. We enjoyed breakfast at the Cedar Room and had some seriously fluffy pancakes. The wifi was free but the connection was sketchy. The resort was a three minute drive from Rathtrevor Provincial Park and Beach.

Only stayed one night but we slept, ate, and relaxed. Couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: Stayed in Valdes cottage. Five minute walk to the beach. Located directly across from the spa.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you Bee072 for posting your review. So happy you were able to come away from your 1-night stay with us feeling so relaxed! I see you stayed in September. Please note we launched a brand new Wireless Internet service in October that is far superior to our old system you refer to as "sketchy". No more sketchy!

We do have a great location beside Rathtrevor Provincial Park, a wonderful beach and gorgeous views. I'm glad you enjoyed your Spa Bungalow Studio with the kitchenette, gas fireplace and Murphy bed. And yes, our buttermilk pancakes are seriously fluffy! I like them with our blueberry compote and smoked bacon. OK, now I'm hungry.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My friend and I loved the mineral pool (would prefer the water way warmer) but not as much as the hot pool which was hot! The highlight was having a tappas lunch in our robes then going back into the water. Our rustic stay will be a fond warm memory.

• Stayed September 2013
So happy you created some fond memories with your friend during your "absolutely heavenly peaceful stay" at Tigh-Na-Mara! No question our Dip and Dine package which combines access to our detoxifying Grotto Mineral Pool with our Treetop Restaurant's Endless Tapas experience (dining in your robe and slippers) is a very unique and memorable way to spend an afternoon!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review,
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were so looking forward to our two days here on our honeymoon trip to Western Canada all the way from Ireland. I'll start with the positive points. The spa was fantastic. The staff could not do enough for us. We had a couple's massage as a honeymoon treat. The standards in the spa are very high and the massage I got was first rate. The mineral spa is nice, but you have to pay to get into it if you are not getting a treatment. I wouldn't recommend paying into it separately. It's really just a pool. Not worth $39. We had dinner in the restaurant on one of the nights and the service and food were both excellent. The cabin we were assigned for two nights was tiny; it was a two-bed, but you literally had to squeeze around the beds and we are not large people. The furniture had a very worn look and feel. I think upgrades are needed. I know that we could have gone to the front desk and asked for a better cabin but for such a short stay, it can be more detrimental to your overall experience to have to ask. To be honest, we told them when booking and upon check-in that it was our honeymoon and that we had travelled from Ireland, so you don't really expect to have to ask for a better room. I commented on this on checking-out, and management did indeed contact me for further information and issued a partial refund for the inconvenience. It was a nice gesture, however, I would have preferred to have had a great experience there instead.

2 Thank Littlepits
Thank you Littelpits for your review. First things first - Congratulations on your recent wedding! How very exciting. I hope you enjoyed your BC honeymoon and thank you for allowing Tigh-Na-Mara to be a small part of your celebration.

Thank you for your generous praise regarding your spa and dining experiences. I'm thrilled to hear the staff could not do enough for you and that your loved your couples massages. The Grotto Mineral Pool is part of a larger experience designed to help our guests achieve a state of relaxation. As you said, it is included with all treatments booked at our spa. While you may pay for a 60 or 90-minute treatment, you are welcome to arrive an hour early, enjoy a detoxifying soak in our mineral & trace element-infused pool, then after your treatment you are welcome to remain in our lounge with complimentary fresh fruit and teas and/or enjoy another dip in our mineral pool - which is like a treatment in itself. So you can easily get a few hours of relaxation for the cost of a 1 hour treatment.

I am aware you were not as happy with your accommodations as you were with the rest of your stay, and that you informed us of this after checking out, and that our Front Office Management has been in contact with you directly to resolve your concerns. I know you had hoped for a complimentary upgrade but please understand this was not possible due to the fact we were fully booked on the Saturday night and you had only made your reservation 3 days prior to arrival. Still we would have preferred the opportunity to improve your stay while you were still here.

Best wishes for a happy future together,
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Nice location, great views of the ocean, quiet rooms, convenient to the town, good amenities, perfect spot for romantic getaway for a weekend, staff friendly, lounge quiet, good views of the tide coming in and out........

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you eric s for your quick review from Edmonton. Sounds like you were here for a romantic getaway weekend and had a great time! I'm happy you liked our location, amenities, great views of the ocean tides, your quiet room and especially that our team was friendly and made you feel at home.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon,
Jim H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
#1 of 13 in Parksville
Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!