“"Great family choice especially for younger children"”

Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Vancouver Island, Canada
“"Great family choice especially for younger children"”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We just returned from a two night stay at this resort.

Excellent place for families particularly with small children. Beach is huge with lots of room to spread out, the tide goes out really far with lots of pools for splashing in and the water is super warm. My three year old played all day and wasn't chilled. Tip: bring sun shelter as there is not a lot of shade and it does get warm. The welcome bucket for families is a great idea with popcorn, treats, bubbles, a ball and the bucket and shovel.Very sweet. They have beach campfires ( unfortunately there was a fire ban in the area while we were there but not complaining).

Food wise: It is a great place for families who want purely a holiday with no cooking or want to "camp" but still have the luxuries of a bathroom etc. You can cook yourselves and the Thrifties delivery is a great idea. You could easily order online the day before you get there and then it would be delivered the night you arrive. Having said that Parksville is every small and there are a number of restaurants down the road and a grocery store. All within a five minute drive. We ate twice at "lefty's" and was very good (special Carmel banana French toast yummy!). We ordered dinner for pickup from the Indian restaurant one night.

There is a kids club for 5-12 ( can't comment as didn't use but saw them around and kids seemed happy). We got the ocean view one bedroom suite and the balcony and view are amazing!! Just gorgeous. I highly recommend. Much more private and the cabins have no view. Did not have any noise issues and found the rooms of be clean. Beds comfy. Only beef...no AC. Did have a couple fans but being a hot sleeper it was fairly warm. Bathroom small but not an issue for us.

I could see the advantage of this resort for a family vacation as it does have the spa as well for mom or dad to go off and have some alone time and yet there is plenty to do for families. However I would say if you are looking for a private luxury adult vacation then at this time of year I would not say this the place. It is really geared (in my opinion) to the middle class family. The kids that I saw were happy and content on the beach and in the indoor pool however there was lots of them so it depends what you are looking for. The restaurant offers free children's food from 5-6 pm . We ate there once. My food was very good as was my daughters from the kids menu; however my husbands was terrible ( and he is not picky). Server was okay but it was very slow. I found the service overall friendly and helpful throughout the report but perhaps with the busyness they perhaps needed more restaurant staff.

Only other thing to note...no room service.not that I could see anyway as no room service menu and no mention of it.. If you like room service then something to check into first.

I would compare this to a middle to upper class quasi inclusive beach resort. Great place for families and extended families to stay for a nice vacation with a little something for everyone. We live a mere hr and half away and we did feel as though we had a nice break.

Cheers:)

Room Tip: Get a third floor ocean view suite as view is awesome and the ceilings are really tall..15 feet plus...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TadandC
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Nice review! Very detailed and balanced. Sounds like you are a family with young child(ren) who live on Vancouver Island and this was your first stay at Tigh-Na-Mara. You chose our very popular Family Fun package and enjoyed the welcome amenity.

Thank you for all the highlights you point out from your stay - huge, shallow beach with warm water; our great partnership with Thrifty Foods for grocery delivery; Lefty's and Amrikos restaurants are definitely both close by and on our Concierge Team's referral list; our Summer Recreation Program with complimentary access to Kids' Club; amazing ocean views; clean, comfortable rooms; spa as an option/retreat for parents for some alone time (we also have a babysitting referral service if you want to go together); plenty to do; kids eat free between 5-6pm; vaulted ceilings in our top floor guestrooms, etc.

True, our guestrooms do not have air conditioning. This is the same for most resorts in Parksville, as there is only a few weeks out of the year where it is desirable. Many of our rooms have ceiling fans and all have tower fans. Although the rooms can get warm when they are closed up, with the ocean breeze and your sliding door open it can be very pleasant.

True, no room service (at least in the traditional sense). With our 192 guestrooms spread out over 22 acres, no internal hallways, and the wildlife in the forest we haven't yet mastered a plan for consistently excellent delivery and collection of room service. We do however deliver pizza to our guestrooms, and normally our menu items are also available for pick-up. Also new this summer we've introduced a couple Picnic Basket options where our kitchen will prepare a basket for you to enjoy lunch or dinner on the beach or at one of our many nearby parks, or just in your room while you enjoy the view. I've shared your comment regarding needing more restaurant staff with our F&B Director.

Again, really happy you felt like you had a nice break from your busy life even though you didn't have to travel too far to feel like you were "getting away". We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Jim H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Based on the price my expectations were high. Room was small, did have an ocean view but a long walk to the water. If you were not having a Spa then the services were very average. Service in the restaurant was slow, food was good. All in all it was a very average resort at a premium price. Other places around we looked at were same offering at half the price.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank L8048YNnickt
Thank you nickturvill for your review. It sounds like you liked Tigh-Na-Mara Resort and your stay, but not for the price. Our prices do change seasonally with summer being the highest due to the most demand, in spring and fall we have "mid-season" pricing and winter we have our lowest rates available. Our pricing is comparable to other resorts around the province within our competitive set, although we are a very unique property (variety of log constructed guestrooms with kitchen facilities). Within Parksville, we are the only resort that offers three dining outlets as well as the most selection for spa treatments and recreation programs, plus our pool house with fitness room, multi-sport court, playground, beach access including snack shack, gift shop, conference options, etc. We also do not charge parking fees, resort fees, or internet fees as many other resorts do.

Hopefully you may choose to sign up on our website for our e-newsletter where we occasionally promote specials to our followers.

Hay Lakes, AB
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed here August 2 - 5, 2013. We stayed in in two bedroom cabin and we will never stay there again. The cabin was dirty and there were cob webs hanging every where. It looks like it hadn't been dusted or cleaned well in years. The floors where sticky and stained and I didn't take my shoes off for that reason. The housekeeping (and I use that term loosely), came in to "clean" daily, however, all they did was change towels, and make the beds. The bathroom was disgustingly dirty and there was spiders in the tub every day! I do not recommend staying here for $300+ a night. So not worth the price you pay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CanuckJudy
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Certainly your experience does not meet our usual standards, and I am sorry. I wish you shared your concerns with us directly at the time so we could have corrected it immediately. That said, I understand it should not be your responsibility to bring such issues to our attention - you should not have been in that position in the first place. I have met with our Housekeeping Manager about this review. I hope you have or will contact us directly so we can resolve this issue with you personally.

Every one of our guestrooms is "deep cleaned" a couple times per year including prior to our summer season. Housekeeping does full service cleans between stays and lighter "maid services" during stays. Our log cottages are located in the forest so unfortunately cobwebs are an ongoing battle. Despite our best efforts to knock them down they often reappear. In my travels abroad I have also experienced some houseguests who were not paying their share of the accommodations, from gecko lizards to poisonous snakes, spiders, etc. Fortunately we live in a very safe part of the world where the local wildlife is concerned.

brooklyn
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had a great time here. It has everything you need (accept for a some decent cooking pans & salt and pepper shakers).
Beautiful beach to explore, great rooms, great views, nice little gas fireplace, nice big bathroom, space, nice grounds, friendly staff, playground for the kids, and a spa for the parents :)

Checking out the beach at low tide is awesome...the water must go out a half a kilometer! You can find and see tons of sand dollars (try not to step on them and in beds). And do not take live ones (that's just cruel). There are so many dead ones to find.

They have fun activities for the kids, marshmellow roasts, story telling on the beach, crafts, etc... And while we only stayed two days and couldn't do any spa treatments (that sounded fabulous!)...my husband and I each took turns going to the mineral pools and hot tub (which you don't need to make a reservation for). Well worth the little extra splurge of $40 a person.

Short drive to Cathedral Grove...a must see!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank photodaisy
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your review - all the way from Brooklyn! Really happy you enjoyed all our amenities and our beach and your children enjoyed our Recreation Programs. Good point about the sand dollars on the beach - the black ones are alive in case anyone doesn't know and the white ones are dead. Cathedral Grove is beautiful and a must see for anyone who doesn't live near a rain forest, and only a 20 minute drive.

Thanks again,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We originally tried to go to Tofino at the last minute but no rooms were available so we ended up booking here. The log bungalow was charming and the proximity to the beach will certainly make us return. The walk along the beach when the tide went out was really enjoyable and our dog had a great time running in the mud!

The bedroom was small and the bathroom was absolutely tiny but the wood burning fireplace was a real treat. The bungalow could have used a bit better lighting as it got quite dark at night.

The restaurant was quite pricey so we ended up eating off the resort. The other trick is to order for delivery from restaurants off site.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Steve C for your review! Great to hear you enjoyed the wood burning fireplace in your charming Log Cottage and you and your dog both loved our beach. I'm sorry you couldn't find a hotel in Tofino - they can book up pretty far in advance for the peak season - but their loss is our gain:) Hopefully you were able to visit for a day trip - only a couple hours drive from Tigh-Na-Mara.

alberta
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is the third or fourth time we have stayed at this resort after discovering it a few years ago. Plain and simple.....we love it here ! The staff are great, the service is wonderful and the rooms are fantastic or in this case our cabin !

From reading some of the reviews I think they may have missed the uniqueness of Rathtrevor Beach. When the tide is in it is excellent for swimming as the water is warm and sheltered but when the tide is out is when it becomes our favourite time. At low tide you can walk out almost 1 km and explore all that is exposed at low tide. Our son ( ok this dad too) love this and can easily spend hours looking around.

Our cabin (411) was really neat. It is a one bedroom and is very modern and has everything you need. Some would say the bathroom is small but it just adds to the cabin feel of the place. Our wifi worked great when we wanted to get reconnected but most of the time the scenery was the entertainment.

Last thing......have the pancakes in the morning......best ever. Tigh Na Mara is a must for us anytime we come to the island.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank jdander
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your great review! I'm thrilled to hear that you love our staff, service, food and rooms. Our pancake stacker breakfast special for $7.95 is great value!

No question the beach is the main attraction. For swimming, we have the warmest ocean temperatures in Canada. No need to bring/rent a wetsuit here. And at low tide the view, the exploring, and simply the space is what I like the best.

Thanks again. Enjoy the rest of your summer in Alberta and we hope to see you again soon,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were disappointed in our stay. We chose it because of its reputation for being pet friendly and being by the ocean. Our cabin was very dark and needed light fixtures as it was depressing due to lack of light. The futon in the living area was uncomfortable. I realize that things are often not as posh when you stay with pets, but this was really uncomfortable. Beds were comfy. Kitchen very utilitarian, laminate floors cheap looking and noisy due to lack of underlayment. Cabins made of beautiful logs so it is a shame to not have the cabin's furnishings more in keeping with the price we paid per night. Brunch was delicious and good value. Breakfast the next day was highway robbery--$43 for 2 people having toast and oatmeal with 1 orange juice and 1 side of bacon. We were looking forward to swimming in the indoor pool which we wound up not doing due to the large number of loud children. No adult swim available until 10 PM at night which is not acceptable as we are in bed by then. We wound up paying $40 each to go into the mineral pool which once again is highway robbery. I think the resort needs to let it be known that it is primarily geared to families as we did not know this and felt our stay was not enjoyable due to kids everywhere you turned. I felt grumpy having been surrounded by kids at breakfast before I even had a cup of coffee. Staff were helpful and pleasant. We would not return again as the prices are high end for very basic accommodation. The beach is not readily accessible for frequent trips to use it (about 1/2 kilometer from our cabin). It is down a hill and when the tide is out there is a long hike to the ocean so it is tedious loading up blankets etc. to go back and forth. I realize we were there during peak season so prices are high everywhere and I don't object to that if the value is there, but the value wasn't there in this case. I expected more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you laurel r for your review, both positive and negative. I'm sorry you were disappointed. We are a pet friendly resort by the ocean. Our Cottages can be a bit dark due to so much wood but they have skylights and big windows and July was so sunny (record month for sunshine) I'm surprised it was too dark for you. The furniture in the Cottages is very popular. We partnered with a company out of the Cowichan Valley called Live Edge Design who salvage wood and make beautiful, custom furniture. Our cottage furniture is an alder log design we feel compliments our environment and culture very well. If this is not to your taste we do have other room types you could try like our Spa Bungalows or Oceanview Condos which have entirely different furnishings.

There is no question we have a lot of families with children stay during school holidays - summer, Christmas and spring break. Our Recreation Program is geared towards children and posted on our website. But we also have a lot of couples stay during summer for weddings, anniversaries, romantic getaways, etc. If you are looking for an environment without children, I would recommend booking some spa time - as this is an adult-oriented area. Please understand the charge for use of the Grotto Mineral Pool is an all-day pass, not just for one dip, includes our 3rd floor adult-only relaxation lounges and is a treatment in itself due to the minerals and trace elements infused in the water. Also access to the Grotto is included if you book a Spa Treatment. We also have a "Kids Eat Free" hour during dinner service in the Cedar Room between 5-6pm, so dining later in the evening is another option.

The other option for couples looking for quiet is to book in June or September where the weather is still very good but the children are in school. The pricing is also more attractive outside of our "peak" summer season.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again, perhaps in the spring or fall where you would enjoy more quiet and find better value.

Jim H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
#1 of 13 in Parksville
Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!