“unique and good experience”

Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We originally tried to go to Tofino at the last minute but no rooms were available so we ended up booking here. The log bungalow was charming and the proximity to the beach will certainly make us return. The walk along the beach when the tide went out was really enjoyable and our dog had a great time running in the mud!

The bedroom was small and the bathroom was absolutely tiny but the wood burning fireplace was a real treat. The bungalow could have used a bit better lighting as it got quite dark at night.

The restaurant was quite pricey so we ended up eating off the resort. The other trick is to order for delivery from restaurants off site.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you Steve C for your review! Great to hear you enjoyed the wood burning fireplace in your charming Log Cottage and you and your dog both loved our beach. I'm sorry you couldn't find a hotel in Tofino - they can book up pretty far in advance for the peak season - but their loss is our gain:) Hopefully you were able to visit for a day trip - only a couple hours drive from Tigh-Na-Mara.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is the third or fourth time we have stayed at this resort after discovering it a few years ago. Plain and simple.....we love it here ! The staff are great, the service is wonderful and the rooms are fantastic or in this case our cabin !

From reading some of the reviews I think they may have missed the uniqueness of Rathtrevor Beach. When the tide is in it is excellent for swimming as the water is warm and sheltered but when the tide is out is when it becomes our favourite time. At low tide you can walk out almost 1 km and explore all that is exposed at low tide. Our son ( ok this dad too) love this and can easily spend hours looking around.

Our cabin (411) was really neat. It is a one bedroom and is very modern and has everything you need. Some would say the bathroom is small but it just adds to the cabin feel of the place. Our wifi worked great when we wanted to get reconnected but most of the time the scenery was the entertainment.

Last thing......have the pancakes in the morning......best ever. Tigh Na Mara is a must for us anytime we come to the island.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jdander
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for your great review! I'm thrilled to hear that you love our staff, service, food and rooms. Our pancake stacker breakfast special for $7.95 is great value!

No question the beach is the main attraction. For swimming, we have the warmest ocean temperatures in Canada. No need to bring/rent a wetsuit here. And at low tide the view, the exploring, and simply the space is what I like the best.

Thanks again. Enjoy the rest of your summer in Alberta and we hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were disappointed in our stay. We chose it because of its reputation for being pet friendly and being by the ocean. Our cabin was very dark and needed light fixtures as it was depressing due to lack of light. The futon in the living area was uncomfortable. I realize that things are often not as posh when you stay with pets, but this was really uncomfortable. Beds were comfy. Kitchen very utilitarian, laminate floors cheap looking and noisy due to lack of underlayment. Cabins made of beautiful logs so it is a shame to not have the cabin's furnishings more in keeping with the price we paid per night. Brunch was delicious and good value. Breakfast the next day was highway robbery--$43 for 2 people having toast and oatmeal with 1 orange juice and 1 side of bacon. We were looking forward to swimming in the indoor pool which we wound up not doing due to the large number of loud children. No adult swim available until 10 PM at night which is not acceptable as we are in bed by then. We wound up paying $40 each to go into the mineral pool which once again is highway robbery. I think the resort needs to let it be known that it is primarily geared to families as we did not know this and felt our stay was not enjoyable due to kids everywhere you turned. I felt grumpy having been surrounded by kids at breakfast before I even had a cup of coffee. Staff were helpful and pleasant. We would not return again as the prices are high end for very basic accommodation. The beach is not readily accessible for frequent trips to use it (about 1/2 kilometer from our cabin). It is down a hill and when the tide is out there is a long hike to the ocean so it is tedious loading up blankets etc. to go back and forth. I realize we were there during peak season so prices are high everywhere and I don't object to that if the value is there, but the value wasn't there in this case. I expected more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you laurel r for your review, both positive and negative. I'm sorry you were disappointed. We are a pet friendly resort by the ocean. Our Cottages can be a bit dark due to so much wood but they have skylights and big windows and July was so sunny (record month for sunshine) I'm surprised it was too dark for you. The furniture in the Cottages is very popular. We partnered with a company out of the Cowichan Valley called Live Edge Design who salvage wood and make beautiful, custom furniture. Our cottage furniture is an alder log design we feel compliments our environment and culture very well. If this is not to your taste we do have other room types you could try like our Spa Bungalows or Oceanview Condos which have entirely different furnishings.

There is no question we have a lot of families with children stay during school holidays - summer, Christmas and spring break. Our Recreation Program is geared towards children and posted on our website. But we also have a lot of couples stay during summer for weddings, anniversaries, romantic getaways, etc. If you are looking for an environment without children, I would recommend booking some spa time - as this is an adult-oriented area. Please understand the charge for use of the Grotto Mineral Pool is an all-day pass, not just for one dip, includes our 3rd floor adult-only relaxation lounges and is a treatment in itself due to the minerals and trace elements infused in the water. Also access to the Grotto is included if you book a Spa Treatment. We also have a "Kids Eat Free" hour during dinner service in the Cedar Room between 5-6pm, so dining later in the evening is another option.

The other option for couples looking for quiet is to book in June or September where the weather is still very good but the children are in school. The pricing is also more attractive outside of our "peak" summer season.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again, perhaps in the spring or fall where you would enjoy more quiet and find better value.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We made a quick trip to the island and I found an overnight package called "Soak, Snooze and Savour" for $204/night which included the room, grotto passes and breakfast. On the website the rooms appeared renovated so I didn't pay much attention to the negative reviews... I wish I had.

We were first given a room in the Jedediah Lodge, which is essentially a big log cabin in the woods. As soon as we entered the room, I thought this was not what we saw on the website (old decor, ratty old bedspreads, super lumpy beds, a layer of dust on everything) so we went and spoke to reception. We told her we were disappointed with the room. She told us for $50 more we could be "upgraded" to a new room with views of the water and a soaker tub. We opted to "upgrade" (as that was our only other option, apparently). The room looked exactly the same. The same worn linens, the same dust, the same lumpy mattress...

At this point, we decided to just suck it up and stay there.

FYI: The hotel has thin walls... we could hear our next door neighbour's conversations, hairdryer, shower, etc. We turned on the jets in the soaker tub and couldn't hear each other... I can only wonder how it sounded to our neighbours.

The next morning we found that "breakfast" was not included... it was a credit for $16/each. My omelette was $15 plus coffee ($3) so we ended up paying more. Not a huge deal... but when it says breakfast is included, it should be.

When we went to check out I handed the receptionist my review card. She didn't ask us how our stay was (I would have told her), she just told us she'd email us our receipt.

Overall, really, really not worth the $298 I paid for one night's accommodation in a pretty shabby room. If you are looking for luxury, try the Beach Club... it's not here!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KMLloyd
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry you were disappointed with your experience. First of all I would say that our Soak, Snooze & Savour package offers tremendous value - to include a guestroom plus Grotto Spa Day Passes for Two plus $32 breakfast credit all in July (our peak season) for only $204 is very competitive value. Second I would say that we have a wide variety of room styles from Oceanview Condos to Private Cottages to Spa Bungalows. Each offers a different experience and perhaps you didn't make your reservations with this in mind. By the sound of your review, you value luxury and privacy. While we are not trying to be a "luxury" resort - you won't find silk curtains or marble vanities or even granite countertops, our Spa Bungalows are our most spacious, newly renovated units and may have been the right choice for you. Or perhaps our Cottages which are individual units without neighbors on the other side of the wall. Third, I do not understand the comments about the "ratty old bedspreads" - all our rooms have duvets, not bedspreads, and all our linens and towels are very new and good quality. You say lumpy bed, I say pillowtop Simmons Beautyrest mattresses with poofy Northern Feather duvets and pillows. Semantics? Not exactly and I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to earn your business back the next time you visit Vancouver Island.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked an ocean view suite. We stayed here for one night on our way through Vancouver Island and were on vacation. For the record, we did not make use of the spa, pool or fitness during our stay (our review is solely about our stay at the hotel).

Staff was friendly at check in, providing some information about the resort (rooms, amenities and possibilities for dinner). Reception was staffed by 3 employees, which was more than enough and made an easy and quick check in possible.

The room had an excellent and very nice view over the ocean. There was a spacious balcony with some sunchairs and a table, providing us the possibility to enjoy the view on and the sounds of the ocean. World class! The room was also equiped with a gas fireplace for some extra heat and atmosphere during the evening. There is also a kitchen with a fridge and possibilities to prepare/cook a meal yourself.

The rooms have free WiFi, but connection was not very reliable inside (it worked well outside on our balcony and throughout the rest of the resort though). Not very practical, since we mostly want to make use of the WiFi once we are inside our room.

The bathroom was perfectly clean and there were more than enough towells there. That's a great plus compared to other hotels in our view, since an extra towell or two in the room is pretty uncommon in our experience.

The bedroom contained a very nice wooden King bed, which seemed to be handmade. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were very clean and hygienic.

Conclusion: very good experience at this resort, with a clean room and marvellous ocean view. The WiFi connection is a little minus, but no show stopper for our total experience (and pretty easy to improve in our view).

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank UnitFour

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your first stay at Tigh-Na-Mara, even though it was only for one night. Much appreciated.

As a hotel manager I certainly enjoyed reading your review. Service was friendly and quick. You noted some highlights of our ocean view guestrooms, first of all the excellent view but also the gas fireplaces, full kitchen, and great sleep experience. We've partnered with a furniture company out of the Cowichan Valley called Live Edge Design who salvage wood the forestry companies leave behind and make it into beautiful furniture. We're very happy with the furniture they've created for us.

I agree with you that the WiFi needs work and we are very actively working on a solution. Hope to have some exciting news within a week or two.

Hopefully next time you stay you will have time to enjoy more of our services, such as our restaurants, spa and pool house with fitness room.

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 22, 2013

If I lived in Victoria or Vancouver, I would probably come here for girls' weekends couple of times a year!

The rooms: This place has very nicely appointed cabins. We stayed in the spa bungalow using a livingsocial voucher. The cabins are newer, without view, but very private. We moved to an ocean view suite on the second night with the spa and tapa experience included. The room was older but it was stunning.

The spa and taps:The ladies in our party loved the experience of wearing a robe to the unlimited tapa dinner, but the guys were a little uneasy about it. We had so much fun that we returned the day after, just before we checked out, for a second round of mineral pool/hot tub/cold shower experience.

Dining: We had dinner at the formal restaurant the first night. The service was excellent. The food was very good. The bread was specially made for the restaurant by a local bakery and it was excellent. The room was quiet and we enjoyed the dinner thoroughly. Next day we returned for breakfast. There was a conference group there and the breakfast room was loud but not intolerable. The best of all is of course the unlimited tapa. We had at least 15 different bites and all of them were fresh, beautifully presented, and tasty.

Timing: We got the livingsocial deal for June and I went north to experience the longest day. It was the right time to go--the sun didn't set until 10:30p.m. and it was shoulder season, so we got the good weather without too big a crowd.

Location: It was hard to get to from WA state. We took the WA state ferry to Sidney and it took us a full day to get there, plus about $100USD one way of ferry. Carpool if at all possible if you are going from WA.

Attraction: we went to the town to roamed around. there was a country store that has an eclectic collection of groceries and gift items from around the world. It was impressive! There was also a butterfly garden that was much better than my expectations. I heard that it was going to be sold and I hope the new owner can do an equally good job.

Room Tip: if you have an ocean view room, ask for a room that is to the right of the driveway. it has better v...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chicbean

Thank you chicbean for your wonderful review. We love having visitors from Seattle so tell all your friends! It is a bit of a travel day. You could also drive to Vancouver and take the BC Ferry to Nanaimo, then we're only 25 minutes drive, but by taking the Washington ferry into Sidney you get to see more of Vancouver Island.

I agree with you that we are a great destination for girls weekends. We get quite a few of them. Many of our guestrooms can sleep up to 6 adults. There's plenty to do with the Grotto Spa, our unique Treetop Tapas restaurant plus our Cedar Room and Copper Lounge, Pool House and of course the beach.

This spring was the first time we've partnered with Living Social and we think it worked very well, bringing new guests to experience Tigh-Na-Mara for the first time. I'm sure we'll try it again.

Sounds like you found Coombs market, with the goats on the roof. It is an impressive country market!

We hope you plan a return visit to Parksville from Washington State soon,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I don't have anything bad to say about my experience planning and holding our wedding at Tigh Na Mara. My husband and I had gone there for a weekend trip over a year ago and instantly knew that is where we wanted to get married. We met with the wedding planner, Suzanne, that day and signed our contract. Suzanne was amazing. She is knowledgeable, friendly, organized, and a "yes" woman. Everything we wanted, she made happen.

The ocean view suites are absolutely beautiful, the food is always amazing, the staff are friendly, the beach is outstanding. I would highly recommend Tigh Na Mara to anyone for a weekend getaway or for a wedding.

If you are a spa goer like me this is one of the best I have ever been to. The minerals pools are fun and relaxing. From my experience the estheticians are experienced and their list of services is huge. I would recommend the unlimited tapa experience for a day of indulgence too. It really puts the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Always do oceanview unless you are a family with kids and need more room, then do the spa bungalow...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bobcat R

Thank you Bobcat R for your amazing review! We are delighted you chose Tigh-Na-Mara to be part of your "wedding of our dreams".

Of course I agree with you... Our ocean views and beach are spectacular, the food is great, our Team is friendly and our Spa is very good. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding Suzanne, our Wedding Specialist. She is a treasure.

Hope to see you for your first anniversary, if not sooner!