“Great Location and "nice" accommodation......NOT Best in class”

Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Oliver, Canada
“Great Location and "nice" accommodation......NOT Best in class”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The resort has a "rustic" theme and the suites are quite pleasant (if dark) due to the Log Cabin styling. I know that this will be appealing to some but.........We like sunlight and open space.
Staff were friendly and helpful and Sunday dinner was very good........the highlight was well priced wine.

Room Tip: I'll rate the restaurant separately BUT Sunday 1/2 price wine is worth a serious look. The food...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rahall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My fiancé and I booked a weekend get away at the Tigh-na-Mara, and heard many great reviews from friends and clients.

Our experience at the Grotto Spa was less than stellar. For a birthday present, I thought that a spa package would be a nice experience for my fiancé.

We arrived at the spa 15-20 minutes early for our appointment to fill our waivers, get changed etc. After walking in and attempting to make eye contact with 4 of the staff, we were acknowledged by one person asking "are you Jane and Joe? No? Oh, I'm waiting for Jane and Joe" and then promptly ignored by everyone else. We waited patiently in line behind other guests, we stood off to one side, waited at the desk....then when everyone left, we finally decided to sit in the chairs. I can't believe that 4 staff did not acknowledge us, ask if we had been helped or make eye contact. It's a small store front, so there isn't much opportunity to hide or not be seen behind a display (there are no displays to hide behind).

We were finally acknowledged (by the same woman that asked if we were Jane and Joe 20) minutes later, basically at the time our appointment was supposed to start, AFTER one of her colleagues greeted a group of people that just happened to walk in the door (so we were ignored by that staff member, as well).

They finally ushered us into the change rooms and said they would give us a tour after our treatment since, we were "supposed to be there right now."

My massage therapist asked if I was flustered because we were late, to which I explained the situation (while filling out the papers). He apologized on behalf of the team and said that he informed a manager of the situation and that "they would probably come in and talk to me." He did a fantastic job of handling me and letting me be heard AND the massage was great. Giant kudos and thumbs up to him.

Because of the timing, I didn't receive part of the Spa Package (it comes with a massage a paraffin treatment, endless tapas and the mineral pool) - so the paraffin treatment was completely skipped. Unfortunate, since I don't feel that it was my fault that we were "late."

Knowing that my therapist informed a manager, I felt calmer and my fiance and I tried to enjoy the rest of our day at the spa. When it came time for "Endless Tapas" there is a sign at the entrance that kindly asks guests to check in at the Spa Concierge across the hall. Our appointment was for 4pm. We went to the Spa Concierge at 3:56 to "check in." The woman that "greeted" us treated us as though we should have known better than to come to that desk and instructed us to wait in the lounge where we'd be picked up. Her delivery gave us the impression that we were wasting her time by coming up to her.

"Endless Tapas" - ahhh, the upscale buffet! Who doesn't love a never ending stream of good food? Here, your server will provide you with a share-able portion (it's tapas, of course) and bring one small serving for the table....every...20...minutes. 3 hours later, we were still hungry (and I'm not a big eater) and decide to leave to find more food.

At 4pm, there were maybe 5 or 6 tables being served, each table seating no more than 2 to 4 people. A slow paced, relaxed environment did not have our server running off his feet (there were two servers) as he casually joked with many patrons and even bought another table a drink because it was someone's birthday. He forgot to bring out two of the dishes to our table and we had to remind him of them. In the restaurant serving industry, I understand that when things are extremely busy, mistakes happen, but this situation I didn't see the reason (and I appreciate it when things are busy and the server *communicates* that to me!)

When we decide to politely bow out and find dinner elsewhere, they will bring you a bill (even though this is part of the spa package) and explain that "it all gets taken care of downstairs at the main spa reception." Which is fine and dandy until you look at your bill (please review it carefully) and we noticed that we were charged for a drink that we didn't order. Excellent.

When we finally did leave and pay for the two spa packages, no point during the entire event, did a manager find me to check in. Interesting.

I left a feedback form for the manager the next day and while she did phone me, she sent over a bottle of wine, some cheese a couple pieces of fruit and a couple crackers as an apology. It was a nice gesture, I still felt disappointed but put it out of my mind.

When we checked out of the Tigh-Na-Mara a couple days later, the lady at the check out desk greeted us and said, "oh, there's just the bill at the Grotto for the tapas." I couldn't believe that even after paying for everything at the Grotto, that somehow the bill from the Tapas ended up on our room bill. This is something I do NOT expect from an upscale "resort" like the Tigh Na Mara!!

While I can be objective on each individual rating, I feel incredibly let down by the experience and only for fear of someone else having a similar experience (I understand mistakes happen but I can't figure out why or how so many happened to us! Very unfortunate), I would not recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole Y
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you Nicole Y for posting your review after your weekend getaway with your fiance. Congatulations by the way on your upcoming wedding! And I'm thrilled to read that you've heard many great reviews of Tigh-Na-Mara from your friends and clients. This is obviously what we strive to achieve every day and is the best form of advertising for us. Pleased also to read that your massage was great and your massage provider did a fantastic job. That said, you have detailed some concerning service issues. I do hope you were able to still enjoy the rest of your fiance's birthday celebration weekend.

I've spoken with our Spa Director this is her response... I am disheartened to hear of your experience as this does not reflect our usual service and standards at the Grotto Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies that we failed to meet your expectations in so many ways. Your feedback guides our efforts and outlines training opportunities for improvement in many areas. It would be my pleasure to discuss this further and provide an opportunity for you to visit us again in the near future for a true Grotto Spa experience. I will follow up with our Spa Guest Services Manager for more information and be in touch with you this week. Thank you again for your feedback; it is truly appreciated. Warmest Regards, Paulina Alexanader, Spa Director
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We booked a spot in the spring hoping their 'Spring Saver' package for 139/night would be a great short-term getaway for a few nights, and leave some room for some spa services in the budget as well.

Instead, what we found was a 1/2 km walk to the pool, which there is only one, and it's 4 feet deep.

Staff rudely asked during check-in if I still only had 2 people, (probably because I don't have grey hair).

To access the mineral pool, a favorite feature of most spa style resorts, you have a choice of paying for a massage / facial or paying $40 per person to access it for 1 day.

Think a massage can be had for $100 ? Think again, while this is what most places charge by the hour, Tigh-Na-Mara charges $175 for half an hour, back and shoulders only.

The rooms are decorated like rustic cabins. Not what I was expecting; the only good thing was the room amenities which didn't quite make up for the lack thereof in the resort itself. The rooms do have a full kitchenette and fireplace which is nice.

As for our promised 'ocean view', it turned out to be obscured by trees, and beyond the rocky beach you can hear the lovely sound of police sirens whirring by in the background.

Finally, was woken up by the sounds of our neighbors tromping up the stairs.

Very poor value, WILL NOT RETURN.

Ps - for the same price, Harrison is a MUCH nicer place to stay. And we didn't have to ride a ferry for 3 hours to get there!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank jtev
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you jtev for posting your opinion of our resort after your recent stay. I will take this opportunity to correct a few statements that are not accurate. Our Spring Saver Special offers a very attractive rate, $139 as you stated, but also includes a $25 resort credit so the room rate is actualy $114 - very good value for an oceanview suite with private balcony, full kitchen and gas fireplace.

Our Pool House is available from 7am-midnight and includes a pool, whirlpool, dry sauna, fitness room, change room with lockers/showers and a rooftop patio. This pool is 40' by 20', about 3.5 feet deep in the shallow end and 5 feet deep in the deep end. It is a 2-3 minute walk from our ocean view condos to the Pool House. Guests also have complimentary use of our new mulit-sport court (tennis, basketball, volleyball, badminton).

Use of the Grotto Mineral Pool is a spa treatment in itself, and is available to enjoy with the purchase of a full-day access pass for $40, allowing you to return throughout the day from 9:30am to 8pm (with extended hours on weekends). This 2,500 square foot warm water pool is infused with natural minerals and trace elements to detoxify the body and rejuvenate the spirit. Your day access pass also includes an assortment of fresh fruit with a selection of freshly brewed teas and coffee for your enjoyment as you unwind in the Relaxation Lounge. Unique hand crafted chairs and sofas fill the Relaxation Lounge, offering comfort and tranquility to our guests as we invite you to warm up wtih a plush blanket beside one of four fireplaces. The price of our One Hour Custom Massage is $130 (not $175 for 30 minutes - we offer 60, 75 and 90 minute treatments), is comparable with other island resort spas, and includes full day access to the Grotto Mineral Pool, whirlpool and Relaxation Lounge. Our highly skilled and experienced Spa Massage Providers consult with their guests to result in a fully customized massage experience, sure to be enjoyed.

Our rooms are rustic, based on our log construction we are so well known for. I've never heard our beach described as rocky before. It's definitely still sand, I just checked.

I am sorry you did not get what you were expecting. All our rooms and amenities are detailed on our website wtih photos and descriptions.
Victoria
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have been going to Tigh Na Mara for many years. This is a great location, right on Rathtrevor beach, just a short walk along the beach to Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park. We usually get a 2 bedroom cabin, which is great for our us and our two boys. The second bedroom has twin beds, and if needed there is also a fold-out couch in the living room. With smaller children, you could easily sleep 6. The beds are comfortable, but a bit on the hard side for our liking.

The cabin was very spacious and everything for the kitchen is provided. It is a great place to bring a family if you want to prepare some of your own meals. My only negative comment would be that there is quite a limited selection of teas for the morning (only one) so if you are a tea drinker bring your own bags.

For wheelchair users, the beach access is a long ramp with is a bit steep but manageable. At the very bottom there is a lounge area with a few chairs if you are not able to manage the sandy beach. To get right down onto the beach there are half a dozen stairs.

We have tried other properties in the area but always end up back here. I can't comment on the restaurant: we did not go there this trip.

If you are after a woodsy getaway right beside a fabulous beach, this place is great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I recently got married at Tigh-Na-Mara on the Easter Long weekend and I have to say that that everything was absolutely perfect. The bridesmaids and myself began the wonderful weekend on Good Friday with a visit to the Grotto Spa for a dip in the mineral pool and then we had lunch at the Cedar Dining Room. I would highly recommend the Grotto Spa. The ambiance was extremely relaxing, the staff were all very friendly and in the change rooms they provided all the essentials we needed to get ready. I had been in touch with the Spa Coordinator ahead of time and she was very helpful and friendly in helping us to arrange our spa morning. We then went for lunch. The food at the Cedar Dining Room was delicious and the service was fantastic. All of us girls had left saying we would specifically drive up from our home town (30min away) just for a meal again sometime as we were so impressed with everything.

The day of our wedding (March 30,2013) was absolutely perfect. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the staff that lent a hand in creating our magical day. From the exceptional Wedding Coordinator, the wonderful Banquet Team, Chef’s, Front Desk Staff and anyone I may have missed. They all had a smile on their face from the beginning of the Ceremony to the end of the night at cleanup after the Reception. They had all of our guest’s best interest at heart and for this we are so grateful.

Whether you are looking for a wedding venue, somewhere to host your conference, a weekend getaway or just a room to stay in Parksville, definitely consider Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Resort and Conference Centre.

Room Tip: I stayed in a one bedroom suite in the Spa Bungalows as well as one of the rooms looking over the oc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

On Spring Break, my fiance and I went back to Tigh na Mara for the second time. We stayed in the Jedediah cottages. The room was very comfortable..the only complaint I had was there were no comfy chairs to relax in at the end of the evening!

Part of the package included access to the mineral pool, we loved it! The pool wasn't busy so it was a great to to relax.
The only disappointing part of our trip was eating at The Copper Room restaurant. We had the JumboPrawns for applies...delicious! But then we waited about an hour for the mains and when they came they weren't worth the wait. We both had the steak and they were small and nothing special. They came with potatoes and beans...definitely not worth the price!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at this resort last summer, with our 2 young grandaughters (5&7), we had an amazing time,the weather was perfect, the beaches were beautiful, the pool was an added bonus for the kids. We ate in the hotel and the food and service were wonderful.the cabins are the way to go if you have kids with you,,easy access, no stairs etc, and the kids can play outside while you sip wine and watch them. We have 1 week booked again this year in August, and can't wait to get there. There is plenty to do as well in Parksville, and an amazing park right on the beach.I totally recommend this resort.

Room Tip: I would choose the cabins again for sure.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Quality Resort Bayside
Ocean Sands Resort
#1 of 13 in Parksville
Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!