“Nice Spa and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grotto Spa at Tigh-Na-Mara

Grotto Spa at Tigh-Na-Mara
More attraction details
Owner description: The Grotto Spa at Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort is the #1 Spa in Western Canada, offering Signature treatments that go beyond the expected. We are one of the largest spas in British Columbia, with 21 Treatment Rooms, a Nail Care Room featuring 5 deluxe whirlpool foot spas, a full service Hair Salon and the Treetop Tapas & Grill Restaurant. Dedicated to providing intimate experiences for individuals and couples, we also specialize in 'social spa-ing', catering to groups and corporate business. Our 3 private 'Suites for Two' were designed with couples in mind and feature hand crafted copper soaking tubs, plush treatment tables and fireplaces. Spa guests receive complimentary access to the Grotto Mineral Pool on the day of their treatments. Designed to emulate a natural stone grotto, this 2,500 square foot warm water pool is infused with natural minerals to detoxify and rejuvenate the body. After treatments, guests are invited to the Relaxation Lounge in their robes and sandals to enjoy fresh fruit and a selection of teas and coffee. For a unique dining experience, try Endless Tapas at the Treetop Tapas & Grill, overlooking the surrounding forest. With 20,000 square feet of spa bliss, we give relaxation a whole new meaning.
Victoria, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice Spa and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

We spend a day at this Spa at the end of July and took advantage of the endless Tappas in their upstairs Restaurant. Spa was good, spotless facilities, nice pool (a little chilly), but nice natural mineral water. Hot-tub was nice but the cooling shower was ice cold. Lots of resting chairs and an outdoor seating area to relax. Not really a grotto, its a large room with rocks and vegetation added, but a nice tranquil feel. We brought our camera and we were taking photos (of us) in the pool - didn't know cameras were not allowed. A lady came out and insisted we put the camera away and was pretty angry about it, guess they watch for this on their security cameras. The Tappas deal was ok, smaller portions and the lady serving us stated that we would be getting 16 servings and we would be full after they are served, she didn't mention that we could have more tappas as some extra bread would have been nice. The winelist was excellent and we did have a wonderful white at a very good price. The upstairs lounge was also very nice, had some fresh fruit and a drink before going into the restaurant. Overall a very fun day, with only minor observations. Reasonable prices but we didn't have any of the spa services - just the pools and food.

Visited July 2014
Paulina A, Manager at Grotto Spa at Tigh-Na-Mara, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Bryan G,

Thank you for posting a review after your recent visit to the Grotto Spa. For guest privacy, cameras and/or recording equipment are not permitted in the locker rooms or Mineral Pool areas. Additionally, cell phones are not permitted throughout the spa.

The Dip & Dine Package is a wonderful experience. I am pleased you enjoyed your dining and you felt the wine list was excellent. I thank you for noticing and appreciating the cleanliness of our facility. The Grotto Spa has earned the prestigious Quality Assurance Approval (QAA) designation from Leading Spas of Canada. This is a national designation recognizing consistent safety and hygiene standards in the spa industry, offering reassurance and uncompromising quality for our spa guests.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and perhaps next time you will enjoy one of our award winning spa treatments!

Nanaimo, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“My favourite place for a Staycation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Grotto Spa is a first class facility! I've been a number of times, and I love everything, from the mineral pool to the spa treatments offered in the beautiful facility. The staff is professional, the spa is very clean, and the mineral pool is so relaxing. If you have a chance to visit the Grotto Spa, you won't be disappointed.

Visited June 2014
Paulina A, Manager at Grotto Spa at Tigh-Na-Mara, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Krista P,

Thanks for your review! A visit to the Grotto Spa truly is a mini vacation. Located mid-island, the drive is scenic AND short for many who live here.

The Ultimate Summer Spa Escape Special is $175 per person and includes 4 hours of total relaxation - what a deal! Better yet, bring a great book and plan to stay for the entire day - our seasonal sun patio is open for summer.

Available midweek until August 29th your visit includes: Dip in the Mineral Pool, Choice of One Hour Spa Treatment, Hand or Foot Paraffin Dip AND Endless Tapas Dining Experience.
Red Deer, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Perfect spa day!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Very nice experience in the mineral pool and endless tapas. Extremely clean. Staff very helpful and friendly. Lovely atmosphere and amenities. Food was wonderful. Great gift shop too. It was all good!

Visited July 2014
Paulina A, Manager at Grotto Spa at Tigh-Na-Mara, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear cariboocarol

Thank you fro sharing you wonderful review of the Grotto Spa! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and wish you a wonderful summer!
Qualicum Beach, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“20th Anniversary Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I have been to the spa before and have enjoyed a variety of treatments but this was a first for my husband. He is a little rough around the edges, I didn't think he would enjoy himself, boy was I wrong! From the second we walked in, he was in awe! The girls at the front desk were fantastic with him, as some guys are just clueless when it comes to these things. The dip in the mineral pool before our treatments was wonderful. It was very clean. The atmosphere very peaceful and calming. We went on a Friday afternoon and there were only 2 other ppl there. We then had a couples message, which was just about THE BEST THING EVER! Miranda, you are awesome! A full hour of getting rid of knots and kinks I didn't even know I had! We had opted for a 1/2 hour to relax between treatments so were escorted to the lounge. Very quiet also, good selection of teas and fruit. Nice to see reading material. Crawled under a warm blanket and had a nap! Next it was pedicures and I'm pretty sure hubby enjoyed this more than the message! We then had the tapas and it was fantastic! The menu is varied, very light and refreshing, not something you can get just anywhere! (Or cook for that matter) We actually did not make it thru the whole "endless experience", after 5 dishes, we were full! All in all this was a wonderful day for us and we would not hesitate in recommending this to anyone! Exceptional job done by everyone and we will be back for pedicures on hubby's birthday! Thank you!

1 Thank jenngary61
Paulina A, Manager at Grotto Spa at Tigh-Na-Mara, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear jenngary61,
Happy Anniversary from all of us at the Grotto Spa! What a treat to celebrate at the Grotto Spa! It sometimes takes some convincing to get men into the spa but as soon as they experience some TLC, they are usually hooked!
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review with others as this is the biggest form of flattery - I look forward to passing your comments onto our team. And we look forward to welcoming you back for your husband’s birthday!
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Staff only care about themselves and not you !!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

This place was nice when you got there, but a place is only awesome only if the staff is as good as the place and this was not the case.... My fiancé went to the Spa and she has a life threatening illness and when she got to the spa the hospital had called and she was on the phone with them. The lady at the spa told her to get off the phone and said to her that if she continues with the phone she would kick her out of the spa. Then my fiancé was so upset that I went to the front desk to complain. Stephanie at front desk said that they do not own spa and I said the resort is all under one name . Then I told her what happened and she started to laugh with a smerk on her face, I got really angry and ask to speak to the Manager and Stephanie said she was not there and have us her business card . The next morning we went to speak to Maureen and she stated to my fiancé if she has this medical condition what was she doing there?? I told her that what happenned at the spa and when I complained to front desk and employee started to laugh and smerk and Maureen stated " I can't see my employee laughing and smerking" Maureen also stated if we were going to pay to stay an extra night ????? At this point I looked at my fiancé and said is this for real !!!!! At this point we packed our stuff and got out !!!! Never ever again and just to think my fiancé was thinking of buying a cabin there as they have some up for sale !!!!

These people don't care about people staying at hotel including their health and all they care about is their staff and money they make . By the way Maureen your a bad example of a manager and my fiancé although she has a life threatening condition she has every right to enjoy her life and as well speak to a hospital regarding her health issues . I guess in my opinion what we went through the staff only follow their leader and this case if you have a bad leader others will follow you and expecially if the leader has got your back , in this case we all know what happens to business !!!!!

I will never ever stay in a place like this again and I stayed at lot of places and this place here ruined our trip where others were awesome .

I guess the first think at the front desk they said to us when we got there was enjoy your stay,,,,,

I guess not , ruined our stay

People stay away !!!! This place DOES not CARE !!! They only care about themselves and the money they take in !!!!

8 Thank Highrollerinvegas
Paulina A, Manager at Grotto Spa at Tigh-Na-Mara, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Highrollerinvegas,

Thank you for describing our property as “nice when you got there” as we are an oceanfront resort set in 22 beautiful acres of tranquil Arbutus & Douglas Fir forest with sweeping panoramic views of the Strait of Georgia and coastal mountains.

As the Spa Director at the Grotto Spa, I can assure you that our team members are highly trained, extremely compassionate and very caring to ALL of our guests. We regularly see guests who have varying medical issues and are able to provide safe, nurturing experiences under many medical circumstances. To ensure a comprehensive, thorough and beneficial treatment, it is essential that our team is aware of our guest’s current physical condition. All Grotto Spa guests are asked to arrive 30 to 60 minutes prior to treatment time. Additionally we ask those presently under the regular care of a physician to consult with their doctor prior to their spa visit to ensure the planned treatment is safe and beneficial. At the time of booking and after a late arrival for treatment, there was no information given by your finance to assist us with her intake. It is unfortunate that this information was withheld until her facial was actually started, as we would have been able to make as many accommodations as possible to ensure her support, comfort and enjoyment from time of arrival.

To maintain tranquillity and encourage relaxation throughout the spa, we ask that guests turn off their cell phones and leave them in their assigned locker for the duration of their visit. This is a standard practice throughout the spa industry for the benefit of all guests. Additionally, recording equipment is banned from the locker facilities and the Mineral Pool as people are changing, showering, swimming etc, and as most cell phones are equipped with cameras, this is all the more reason for this strict policy. As your fiancé was speaking on her cell phone in the spa locker facilities, she was invited into the spa reception area where she could complete her call without further disrupting others. She did not choose to relocate to this area as requested. She was certainly never told she would be “kicked out of the spa.”

It is clear by your comments that you are not satisfied with any team member you encountered at our resort or spa. Not only did no one laugh or smirk at you at the Front Desk, our team member did in fact have to ask you to stop yelling at her as she doesn’t deserve to be treated in this manner.

Each team member you encountered was trying to assist you throughout your stay. Your demand at the Front Desk for a free spa treatment and a free night stay at our resort is not how we choose to resolve guest issues. We will not be bullied, yelled at and treated unreasonably with looming threats of “telling everyone publicly on social media not to come here.” I stand by our team at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort and the Grotto Spa and the decisions they made throughout your stay with us.

I am deeply and truly saddened to hear you describe your experience as such, as this is not even close to how our other guests choose to describe our service and product on a regular basis. After hearing all sides to this story I choose to believe there are other properties which may be better suited for your future vacation plans.