“Yorkies”

Yorky's Halibut and Chips
Ranked #33 of 104 Restaurants in Parksville
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised with Yorkies. The fish was fresh and tasty, and the fries crispy. Neither were greasy. The server was busy however she was efficient and attentive.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I LOVE this place. Being British I strive to look for good fish and chips. I have found them in Parksville. I drive from Nanaimo to eat here. The fish is good quality...not huge portions....and the chips are to die for! Best eaten fresh. They have a varied menu with good choices. A bit pricey but worth every penny.
No frills with this place, lacking in atmosphere but really is a take away and we took our food and ate it by the beach in Parksville....heaven!

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

I have been a frequent visitor of Yorkys for years and have also held positions over the years as chef in the area.
My last visit was a week ago and the cod was up to its usual standard of excellence.
Although I prefer cod my wife always has the halibut and raves about how well it is cooked and the large portion served.
With that said I want to respond
To the last poster who try's to compare Tigh Na Mara to Yorkys.
Tigh Na Mara does indeed have a 2 piece Halibut & chips for $16
Unfotunatly there portion size is far from 5oz what Yorkys prides itself on.
They also use frozen fries when Yorkys uses only fresh cut Kennebec potatoes cut to order and cooked from Raw.
My last conversation with the owner I discovered that Yorkys only uses premium fletches of fresh halibut what can cost over $24 per pound on a good day.
Far from economy halibut used by most restaurants for Halibut and chips.
$21 for 10 oz of premium halibut and fresh cut chips is a deal and a half and big enough to please more than one appetite.
As far as I know Tigh Na Mara only offer Halibut & Chips at lunch only.
One other important note, the batter that Yorkys uses is an old Brit recipe that is yet to be immatated by any fish & chips on the island.
I am sure if your chips were cold I know that your whole plate would of been replaced to your satisfaction, you should of asked.
Rich.

2  Thank Richard b
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Just came back from Yorky's spending over $50 for a couple. The Halibut was over cooked, the fries were cold and our appy came after our main course. We had no napkins or any utensils until we asked. The service falls short and the food is definitely over fried. We found the fish and chips to be totally tasteless yet they charged us $21 for 2 piece halibut. How can that be when Tigh na Mara resort charges you only $15 for a far better experience?

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We drove by the restaurant earlier in the day to see what the hours were and saw that they were open every day from 12-7pm but when we returned at 4:00 they were locked and there was a sign that they would be back at 4:25. We witnessed other potential customers discover that they were closed and they walked away never to return ( at least while we were there). We had really wanted to dine there so we waited the 25 minutes.
When we did get inside we were greeted by a very friendly hyper young lady ( we joked that they had possible been closed so that she was able to get high because that is how she acted) who took our order. She wasn't professional saying " you're welcome" to a customer when she gave him his water and he did not say thank you. When taking the order from an elderly couple who were in for the same time she sat in the booth with them to take their order. It was obvious that the woman was very uncomfortable.
We both ordered the two piece halibut and chips which was $21 which we felt was a little steep but I had read great reviews when searching for a fish and chip restaurant in Parksville so we thought it must be worth it. We were very surprised to see the size of the pieces of halibut. They were very large and done in a very light batter with no detection grease.. The halibut tasted very fresh and was a little dry but was still very good. We were not fans of the very little cups that the tartar sauce was served in. We each received two and when my boyfriend asked for more it was brought in a much larger cup. It would have been better to just bring it initially in the larger cup. I am a bit of a ketchup snob and love Heinz and their ketchup was definitely a different brand.
I was shocked when a customer asked for a glass of wine and the waitress said I wish because if we served wine I'd be drunk by now and then explained that they were not licensed but hoped to have it before the beginning of summer.
While we were enjoying our meal we could hear our waitress talking to the girl cooking in the back and she said loudly to her to " go take their money" referring to the couple that came in for take out. We could not believe how unprofessional she was. I had hoped that she was not the owner and she wasn't because she said that she was just saving up her paycheques so she could move to Victoria. It will not be a loss to Yorky's as I am not sure I wouldn't go back just because of the unprofessionalism. Different waitress and absolutely because the meal was great!