“As nice as home”

Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Reviewed November 23, 2012

After being on the Via Rail train for 4 nights its was great to finally to be in a hotel room.
First impressions of the unit was...this is just like home! Very modern and clean. It had a full kitchen, laundry, and a great patio area with fireplace. So nice.!
We went to the super market just about 5 minutes down the road and stocked up on supplies for the 4 day stay. The kitchen had everything to work with.
Bed was very comfortable and the bed linens and bathroom towels we first class.
We found the staff very friendly and helpful (even when they had to come show us how to lock the patio door). And we had our own bbq just outside. The common patio area was right out of a decorating book.
The first morning we woke to a small herd of deer just outside our door...so Im thinking that the area must be very quiet...

This was a great place to come "home" to after touring the area...and we would return if we ever have the chance to visit Parksville again...

Room Tip: We had a unit in the back on the first floor...this upper floors had balconies..I liked the patio.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kitten50

Reviewed November 18, 2012

If you are in your mid 50's would not recommend this place. It seems hotel caters to the younger crowd. You can hear everything between the floors. We went up there for a special b'day celebration to get away from it all with some peace and quiet. Management only seem to care about their profits and not their customers. We did not get any sleep for 2 days and all they said was sorry. Did not reimburse us. Did nothing except at 1:00 in the morning maybe knocked on their door I think. Anyway would definitely recommend to partyers not to the older ones who are looking for a quiet place to stay for 150 a night. Not worth it!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank John Bev C
Sunrise08, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Please allow me to start by saying that we appreciate all feedback, good or bad, that will help us to improve our service to our guests. Although I certainly understand your frustrations in being kept awake, I am slightly confused about the "customer service" comment, as you have made it sound as though we did absolutely nothing to assist you with your problem. As I understand it, you had called down prior to 10:00 pm to say that the guests above you were being noisy, and complained about being put beneath a noisy group. At that time, our Guest Services Manager explained to you that we don't have anyway of knowing who will be noisy and who will not when making a reservation, and did not intentionally put you beneath noisy guests, and that there is an 11:00 noise curfew at the resort. At that time, he made an offer to you to move you to a different room, which you declined. I understand that it was not likely really convenient for you to change rooms at that time, but he felt that would llkely be the best solution, even though he intended on checking out the noise level. It would ensure that this noise would not be a bother to you at any time throughout the night. He then went up to the room in question, entered the foyer area, as he was going to speak them, and listened for several minutes. There was no noise at that time, so he made the assumption that it had stopped. The room was also checked on later during the night, and when the noise was heard, the guests were asked to stop.
As you can see by many previous reviews, our resort is normally very quiet and peaceful, but there will be the odd time, as with any resort, when that is not the case. We are in no way a "party" place and do not cater to any particular age group or guest type. We have many guests of all ages stay with us, some on a regular basis, who thoroughly enjoy their stay.
It is unfortunate that your stay on this weekend was not satisfactory, and would be happy to speak to you in person to see if we can do something that will make you feel you were listened to.
As I said, we do take these comments seriously and did think we had offered a solution that would eliminated the problem for you at the time. I look forward to speaking with you.
Sincerely

Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is an excellent facility, accommodations are excellent, hospitality is excellent, cleanliness and location all excellent.

If there is one drawback it is that there isn't a restaurant, this is to come at a later stage in the development. I wouldn't let this deter you from enjoying this classy facility; you will be hard pressed to beat it.
Another review mentions Jack Chambers and I too can verify his professionalism and sincere care for the visitor to this facility.

It was a business meeting and workshop in a first class environment, we were a group of 35 in total and we had ample seating room with Mr. Chambers readily available for setup of video equipment.

I have traveled extensively internationally and I found the Sunrise Ridge very comfortable and appealing.

I will not hesitate to stay again when I am in the area.

Room Tip: I stayed in a smaller building with fewer units all easily accessible without having to take an elev...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank FergusVictoria

Thank you so much for your comments on your recent stay and business meeting here at the resort. We certainly appreciate Jack, our Guest Services Manager, and his attention to customer service and detail as well. We enjoyed your group very much, and look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We have been 2 times now and love the accommodations. The only downside is access to the beach and the fact that the resort doesn't yet have anything in the way of a pool or other recreation type facilities. Regardless, it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us, and look forward to seeing you return!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed for one night on October 2 in a queen studio. We loved it! The room was very clean and I am very picky when it comes to cleanliness. It looked as if we were the first guests ever to stay in the room. Beautiful modern and trendy furnishings and an amazing rain style shower. Also both staff members we dealt with during check in/check out were very pleasant. Yes, the wifi was slow and not very usable but we were not there to use Internet/watch tv. I will definitely recommend this resort to everyone I know.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Roberta F
Sunrise08, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

The team at Sunrise Ridge would like to thank you for your positive review and kind words. Guest comfort, customer service and a great experience are what we do our best to ensure, and it is so rewarding to hear that we have been able to acheive that. We hope to be welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed two nights and it is with sincere thanks and appreciation that a good management team does make a difference. Jack Chambers, the guest services manager, is from the cruise industry and is more in tune with national and frequent travelers and how to please them. I enjoyed the first class accommodation as well as the facility in general. It truly is a home condo rather than a hotel. You will find it the same. Please be sure to check its amenities since your version of a resort may not meet mine in features when I say first class. We appreciated the full laundry facilities in the room for those who travel more than a few days.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Seaslider
Sunrise08, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our management team. I hope you also had a chance to experience the service of our Guest Services Agents that strive to make your stay a truly rememberable experience. We do pride ourselves on service, cleanliness and the comforts of a "home away from home", and are very excited to hear that this is what you enjoyed during your stay.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

The good: The service was very friendly from check-in to check-out. The room (#214) was nice and had great decor. As a comparison, the room was nice but not as nice as rooms at Tigh-Na-Mara or the Beach Club.

The bad: The tv was too small and mounted way higher than eye level when sitting on the bed, which was in front of the tv. I was there in the middle of September and it was still warm, but no air conditioning! Sleeping was uncomfortable. Also, wifi in the room was extremely weak and I let the front desk know. They kindly reset the router, but the signal strength was just too weak and devices couldn't connect. Bandwidth wasn't good even in the lounge area beside the lobby. The temperature in the mini-fridge couldn't be adjusted because the up-down buttons weren't responsive.

SIGH. I work frequently on the island and I've stayed at most of the hotels in Parksville. I will not be coming back to Sunrise Ridge as there are better options at the same price nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank terekey

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor, and want you to know that we do take these comments seriously. I'm not entirely sure which method you used to make your reservation, but I can ensure you that if it was directly with the resort, we take the time to explain to all of our potential guests that we do not have a pool, restaurant or fitness facility on site, and that our property is under development. During the reservation process, in our confirmation letter, as well as at check in,our potential guests are informed of these facts, and also told that we have arrangements with a close by resort to allow our guests have use of their pool, hot tub and sauna at no charge to the guest ,as well as a state of the art gym facility, also close by. If you reserved through an on line system like Expedia, for example, that information would not have been passed on to you. It is unfortunate that our rooms were not to your liking. Style etc. is personal choice, and not everyone will consider our room style as nice as some others. Thank you so much for the great comment on the staff, as we pride ourselves on great service, cleanliness and what we feel to be comfortable accommodations. We would love to have you come back and experience one of our other room styles that could very well be more to your liking. Should you decide to do this, please call me directly. Again, thank you for your comments. They help us to determine where we need to improve.

Robynne Shaw

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
#2 of 13 in Parksville
37 mi away
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort? Share your experiences!