“Disappointment x 2”

Ranked #8 of 98 Restaurants in Port Alberni
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Been to this place twice. The first time service was SLOW and the food was 'meh'. Had to laugh at the disclaimer in the menu about the halibut surcharge. Suck it up already..
Second time ordered the seafood platter for two. Total letdown! Mostly previously frozen crap deep fried and stuck on a plate. Service was again incredibly slow and poor.

1  Thank yukonchick

Reviewed September 10, 2012

came here by chance when we were here some yearsgo, great food great staff who smile a lot the only place in town tha5t was busy. food great value but too much thoroughly enjoyed the experience thank you

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My wife and I have been eating at the Clam Bucket for 4 or 5 years now, which is not such a special thing until you consider the fact that we are from Edmonton, Alberta. It was actually my parents that discovered the Clam Bucket and recomended it to us before we made a trip to the Island. We stopped there and fell in love!

So if you are eating at a place called the clam bucket, you should really try a bucket of clams. They have a combo bucket, which is half full of clams, and half full of mussels. I like them done is garlic butter. The only bad thing is the butter all ends up in the bottom of the bucket and the last few clams and mussels end up tasting even better than those that went before. Not a bad problem to have though.

I have also had their oysters rockefeller which was to die for. My son had popcorn shrimp, which is not a favorite of mine (battering shrimp should be against the law!!!), but these were tasty. My wife had the calamari which was good. I wish she had gone for the spicy ones, but it was her order, not mine. My daughter had tatziki, which I flat out hate. So no matter if it was good or bad, my opinion is pretty much useless.

In the past we have also tried the hummus here and thought it was ok.

The other thing worth mentioning is the decore of this restaurant. It is unique, right from the round red door to the interesting signs and pictures on the walls. The service has been very good every time we have been here.

I strongly recomend this restaurant.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We had dinner here during our stay and it was the highlight of Port Alberni. My husband had the oysters to start (absolutely huge by UK standards) and the salmon and he loved both. I had the tempura prawns for starter which were lovely-- although they were served with sweet potato fries which was a surprise with a starter :-) Due to the size of the starter I took 3/4 of my delicious philly steak sandwich home which we shared for lunch the next day. Great drinks and serving staff. The trivial pursuit cards on the table was a fun touch. Its worth going in and reserving a table if you are going to eat around 7pm. We may return on our way back to Parksville...

Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I went here and had the platter for two which included almost everything on their menu. All the items were great and we ordered it without any of the starches to make sure we only ate what was good. Would highly recommend this place and make sure to make a reservation on a busy night.